Pearl Jam 2024 Tour - Manchester & Tottenham (ticket prices!)

What's Hot
"pre" sale happened today, cheapest seats at Tottenham Stadium were £125. Cheapest standing was £157.

Absolute joke. Would love to see a gig there and PJ are my favourite band, but gigs these days are just ludicrously expensive unless you go to see lesser known bands at smaller venues. And that's what I'm going to continue to focus on.

No blame or anger here, it is what it is, I just despair at the situation.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    i was £160 each for two tickets in Manchester 
    it is what it is, i want to see them ( be 7th time) and thats the price 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    "pre" sale happened today, cheapest seats at Tottenham Stadium were £125. Cheapest standing was £157.

Daniel Levy has a stadium to pay for  ;)

Seriously though, that stadium has really pushed Spurs up the rich-list of Premier League clubs due to all the extra match day revenues (much more and much more expensive hospitality as well as more people paying normal ticket prices) *and* all the non-football events that can be staged there now.

And please exit via the Spurs shop and pick up your £80 replica football shirt ... ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Taylor Swift is actually cheap(er)!

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd love to know the rough proportional split off the takings. Ticket revenue must be £4million+

The band have logistics and accommodation to cover, plus all the crew. But there's got to be a lot of money going to the venue, ticketing agents, overheads, insurance, staff.

Does anybody make a huge wedge on a single gig, or do they need to do several per year to earn a crust?
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3076
    TTony said:

Seriously though, that stadium has really pushed Spurs up the rich-list of Premier League clubs due to all the extra match day revenues (much more and much more expensive hospitality as well as more people paying normal ticket prices) *and* all the non-football events that can be staged there now.

And please exit via the Spurs shop and pick up your £80 replica football shirt ... ;)
    That £1.2 billion has got to come from somwhere! 

I stopped listening to PJ in the 90s - where's a good place to start if I wanted to catch up? 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• TTony said:

That £1.2 billion has got to come from somwhere! 

I stopped listening to PJ in the 90s - where's a good place to start if I wanted to catch up? 
    Which albums are you familiar with?

Vitalogy is superb and has enough of the classic Pearl Jam sound to give you a familiar experience. If you know that one I might suggest Yield/Binaural/Riot Act as a good trio of a modern sound for the band.

No Code is great and interesting but quite a mix of styles which would surprise a fan of their early stuff.

Their later albums have some great stuff and worth a good listen, I'm not at keen on them as complete albums. New album coming this year.
  • danodano Frets: 1593

Wow ! When they played Manchester Arena in 98 I think I paid £25.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    dano said:

In those days, sales of physical media would have contributed a fair amount to the band's income.

Nowadays, that revenue stream is pretty much dead and streaming doesn't replace it, so gig ticket prices have gone up to fill the gap.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3828
    edited February 23
    Pearl Jam are probably my favourite band of all time and I'd bloody love to see them again, but think I'm gonna have to sit this one out. It's not just the cost of the ticket on its own, but the fact that with it being a midweek my partner and I will both have to use a couple days of annual leave, plus the transport costs, plus the hotel costs, plus food and drink etc etc... It'll probably end up stinging us for close to a grand all in. Just can't stomach it. 
  • Pearl Jam are probably my favourite band of all time and I'd bloody love to see them again, but think I'm gonna have to sit this one out. It's not just the cost of the ticket on its own, but the fact that with it being a midweek my partner and I will both have to use a couple days of annual leave, plus the transport costs, plus the hotel costs, plus food and drink etc etc... It'll probably end up stinging us for close to a grand all in. Just can't stomach it. 
    The London Tottenham Stadium gig is Saturday 29th June.
    I don't blame you though. If the logistics worked for me I'd rather go to one of their festival shows in Europe, and catch some other bands into the bargain.
  • TTony said:
    dano said:

In those days, sales of physical media would have contributed a fair amount to the band's income.

Nowadays, that revenue stream is pretty much dead and streaming doesn't replace it, so gig ticket prices have gone up to fill the gap.
    I think there's something in that, and I've said it before too. But, and call me naive, but I think the main factor in this increase is the rest of the circus that is making a quick buck off the back of the situation. The band will want more money for sure, but I can't imagine it adds up to that much. Mind you, they're only doing 2 UK dates.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6823
    The rest of the hangers-on are making loads - 

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    image.png 22.1K
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pearl Jam are probably my favourite band of all time and I'd bloody love to see them again, but think I'm gonna have to sit this one out. It's not just the cost of the ticket on its own, but the fact that with it being a midweek my partner and I will both have to use a couple days of annual leave, plus the transport costs, plus the hotel costs, plus food and drink etc etc... It'll probably end up stinging us for close to a grand all in. Just can't stomach it. 
    The London Tottenham Stadium gig is Saturday 29th June.
    I don't blame you though. If the logistics worked for me I'd rather go to one of their festival shows in Europe, and catch some other bands into the bargain.
    I live up in the north east so was looking at the Manchester gig. Yeah I was looking at the Barca gig hoping that it would be a bit cheaper but nope, still crazy money, plus flights etc....
  • dano said:

That's probably equivalent to fifty quid for the ticket price, taking into account inflation; and everyone who went to gigs back then would likely have all the albums too, the promotion of which was usually tied to a tour each year.

As others have pointed out, bands don't really make much off album sales these days - sometimes they get nothing at all from people who listen to their stuff if they do it via dodgy downloads or copying - which is why they have to tour and charge that much for it. Those Rolls Royces and the swimming pools you drive them into don't pay for themselves.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6823
    dano said:

That's probably equivalent to fifty quid for the ticket price, taking into account inflation; and everyone who went to gigs back then would likely have all the albums too, the promotion of which was usually tied to a tour each year.

As others have pointed out, bands don't really make much off album sales these days - sometimes they get nothing at all from people who listen to their stuff if they do it via dodgy downloads or copying - which is why they have to tour and charge that much for it. Those Rolls Royces and the swimming pools you drive them into don't pay for themselves.
    Pretty close!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Capture3.JPG 30.4K
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    By way of comparison, last June I paid £25 a ticket to see Chuck Prophet (who, you ask?) playing in a small club. First time I'd been to a club gig for a few years. I didn't begrudge it but it did seem like a hike compared to my memory of prices in years past. 

Most depressingly, no paper ticket as a memento. 
  • mrkb said:
    The rest of the hangers-on are making loads - 

The red circled figures are certainly larger than I'd like them. £2.75 seems OK for all the computing and admin that goes on. No idea what that £20.75 service charge covers.

But the £135 ticket price is not all going to the band. That's for sure. Venue hire, staff, insurance, overheads, promo etc.
  • Over 300 euros for Berlin :open_mouth: 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    Pearl Jam are probably my favourite band of all time and I'd bloody love to see them again, but think I'm gonna have to sit this one out. It's not just the cost of the ticket on its own, but the fact that with it being a midweek my partner and I will both have to use a couple days of annual leave, plus the transport costs, plus the hotel costs, plus food and drink etc etc... It'll probably end up stinging us for close to a grand all in. Just can't stomach it. 
    luckily Manchester is an hour and bit drive for us , so can finish work a wee bit earlier and head off through. 
    also there in April form Dave Matthews Band in the Apollo. 

Looking forward to seeing what the Coop Live is like though 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2381
    Glad to have been a prolific gig go'er in the 90's.....went to PJ at Manchester Uni in 1992....don't think it was more than £10 then.....even got to talk to Mr V before the show. Saw Dave Matthews Band there also in 1996 for £8 in the small room on the top floor. We'd do two or three gigs most weeks, now friends can only afford a couple of big gigs a year at these crazy prices. Still amazed they pay it especially as these bands are in reality just a shadow of their former selves. So much for Eddie battling Tickermaster all those years. General tickets should be £80 tops.