Building /assembling a guitar around the pickups! DeArmond content

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16716
    edited February 27
    Sporky said:
    I am a big fan of MoTS. 
    But the red with these pickups and bigsby is already pushing towards a mid 50's Chet... I would struggle not to lean into that aesthetic

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10490
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    That's looking good, glad recessing them worked well.... but I still think a more Gretschy style guard should be used ;)  
    One of the issues with that concept is that only three mounting screws can be used with the bridge pickup ... unless I totally re route the wiring ... the screw would go straight through a wiring tunnel. I'm exploring all pissybolities  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    In that case I would either extend the control cavity on the back, or add a small route on the front to be hidden under the guard... both should allow a new wiring channel channel to be drilled between the mounting screws
    edited February 27 tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    In that case I would either extend the control cavity on the back, or add a small route on the front to be hidden under the guard... both should allow a new wiring channel channel to be drilled between the mounting screws
    Firstly I'm going to rout the pickup holes to full depth ... that'll allow me to see if I have wiggle room for drilling a parallel tunnel. 
    Then the pickups need completed with their springs, and some decision needs to be made re the controls. I'm leaning to a dual concentric tone and volume and a selector switch ... dead simple. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

tFB Trader

Just for you @WezV I designed and laser cut a mock-up scratch plate in MDF (sprayed silver for shits and giggles) If I do this it will be clear with the reverse sprayed gold, 

Bigsby mounted and alignment checked ... all tickety boo. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Oil paints work with Osmo.
    You can get a thin coat which shows the grain. Pigments tend to be opaque, so it’s difficult to get transparency.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.

Just for you @WezV I designed and laser cut a mock-up scratch plate in MDF (sprayed silver for shits and giggles) If I do this it will be clear with the reverse sprayed gold, 

I think the gold will work really well, maybe with a decal on the back first too - laser cutting some adhesive vinyl,  then peeling it off after painting the guard works well

Personally I would go for a cabronita style guard, but i'm only really weighing in here because it will be another month or so before I can start doing the same for my Gretsch style baritone build, and it does look good as it is ;)
    tFB Trader
    My thought was to laser engrave the back of the guard (in reverse obviously) ... fill the engraving with black paint then once dry, spray gold ... a modern update on Gretsch's own method. 

that will work well.   My diode laser doesn't cut clear materials so it will either be engraving through paint or cutting the decal from something it will work with
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    that will work well.   My diode laser doesn't cut clear materials so it will either be engraving through paint or cutting the decal from something it will work with
    Fascinating ... I never knew that was a thing with diode lasers. 

I decided to replace my 300mm wiring harness drill (broke the bugger last year) so I'm going to plug the current problematic wiring hole and re drill ... allowing me to use all four pickup mounting holes ... which has reminded me to CAD and laser up some rubber pickup gaskets. God knows what I did B.L. (Before Laser). 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359

Wow that's starting to look really good indeed =)
    tFB Trader
    Dave_Mc said:

Wow that's starting to look really good indeed =)
    Thank you sir :-)

tFB Trader
    Well work has been progressing ... the body was always going to be a mild relic anyway as it's kicked around the workshop in  a partially completed finish for five years ... still popped a couple of extra coats of Tru-Oil on just to even things up.

The neck came from Guitar Necks UK on eBay, cost £80 ... and needed a serious fret levelling and crowning ... as well as fret end shaping ... par for the course with Chinese necks I've found. 

Springs arrived yesterday ... and this morning I pootled down to the workshop. Installing the springs was easy ...and I used a fillet of Locktite CA to make sure they don't come loose. 

Well I fully shielded the pickup compartments with copper tape ... then connected earth jumpers to the pickup surrounds, so hopefully the somewhat noisy reputation of Dynasonics won't be an issue. 

Something that was an issue however was the fact I had to dowel the body under the bridge and shift the bridge back nearly 3/4 of an inch due to me fouling up on the initial bridge positioning!  Hey ho ... nothing shows as the half bridge is large enough to cover my mistake!  I will have to pop the bridge off again mind, as I need to trim down the little hoops of steel supporting the intonation screws by a bugs dick ... the top and bottom E strings may just touch them. 

I fixed up the single Bourns 500k volume pot and selector switch ... plugged into the workshop amp ... and hey presto, life when tapping pickups ... and everything metering out as it should. 

Monday I shall string up and do the nut ... but I may need grooved brass bridge saddles, as I really need to narrow the string spacing a tiny bit as the Dynasonics are 50mm spaced. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 11 tFB Trader
    And ... aside from a scratch plate ... it's done 

Insanely, I just cut the nut and no other adjustment was needed ... the action was perfect and the intonation near to spot on. 

Sound wise it's astonishing., the long magnets and early style 44awg/12.7k DCR give exactly the tone you'd expect from a 50s Gretsch! Clear and clean on an amp with loads of headroom ... with the hint of a Tele like snarl in the bridge position. Into a an amp wound up a bit the snarl becomes more and more angry. 
    There's twang a plenty ... I caught myself playing 'Ghost Riders In The Sky' with a typical, deep Dynasonic rumble and twang, and you can even venture into ACDC rhythm tones. I'm glad I copper lined the pickup routs, as the 3/4 Faraday cage has made the pickups very quiet for single coils. 

This may well end up as my number one Tele ...  

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Thats a stunner!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    Thats a stunner!
    Thanks ... I actually can't stop playing it ... my good god those Dynasonics are powerful! 
    I didn't have to change the bridge saddles ... but I may get some compensated brass ones at some point. That will probably coincide with fitting an Earvana nut, and I probably need a Chet Atkins style wire trem arm to give a bit more body clearance at some stage. 

• ChoivertChoivert Frets: 64
    This looks brilliant. You decided on a pick guard yet? 
    edited March 11 tFB Trader
    I may go with a clear one ... my plan was to cut several and see what looked best.
    I still am gobsmacked by the tone ... I haven't heard a modern (short magnet) Dynasonic with that power and authority ... I honestly think it must come down to pure mass of magnet material!   

Oh yes ... the tuners will get changed to a locking set in nickel ... I used the spares from my 7 string to get the guitar up and running :-)

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I'm starting to feel there may be a new OCP Custom Shop Masterwound pickup in the offing.  Glad that it is giving you the sound you wanted after all the work youwent through to repair them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    PhilKing said:
    I'm starting to feel there may be a new OCP Custom Shop Masterwound pickup in the offing.  Glad that it is giving you the sound you wanted after all the work youwent through to repair them.
    Lol making long magnet Dynasonics would be hugely financially impractical :-)  Possibly using these to find a way to get the same sound from shorter magnet pickups might be a thing ... but at the moment it's the guitarist not the pickup winder that's in heaven. I came home from the Workshop ... guitar strapped to my back (I walk for the exercise) ... and ever since I've been going from Brian Setzer to Link Wray ... via Grady Martin and Hank Garland!  To me those pickups are more precious than a pair of 1959 PAFs ... I mean I can wind a pair of those anytime ... these are 1956 in a box - but put some drive on them and you've got 'Rock This Town' and Rumble in Brighton. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom