124»

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    Damn cool. Congratulations 
    I’d love to have a go on that :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Yay that's awesome!  =)
    I may go with a clear one ... my plan was to cut several and see what looked best.
    Does it need a pickguard? It looks pretty good already, though it'd probably also look pretty good with a Cabronita-style guard. Obviously if you can be bothered to cut a bunch, that'll be the thing. Seeing the real thing next to it will usually tell you instantly whether it works or not...
    I still am gobsmacked by the tone ... I haven't heard a modern (short magnet) Dynasonic with that power and authority ... I honestly think it must come down to pure mass of magnet material!   
    Oh so the newer ones don't have the same magnets? I was sort of looking at your build a bit horrified at how much bother you had fitting the pickups... I kind of suspect (having never tried them!) that I'd like Dynasonics, but they seem a bit of a pain to fit to a guitar that's not already built for them. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11597
    tFB Trader
    very nice project 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 892
    edited March 12
    That was a really interesting read - thanks for posting that.  I had no idea dynasonics were so unusually constructed. Looks like a cylinder head with valves.

I'm quite envious of that guitar as well. I've always had the idea that I don't like Fenders (I've always played more Gibsonesque designs, and can't stand strats) but I don't think I've ever played a Telecaster and that one with those pickups and the Bigsby is definitely calling me over to "the other side".
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10491
    tFB Trader
    Dave_Mc said:
    Yay that's awesome!  =)
    I may go with a clear one ... my plan was to cut several and see what looked best.
    Does it need a pickguard? It looks pretty good already, though it'd probably also look pretty good with a Cabronita-style guard. Obviously if you can be bothered to cut a bunch, that'll be the thing. Seeing the real thing next to it will usually tell you instantly whether it works or not...
    I still am gobsmacked by the tone ... I haven't heard a modern (short magnet) Dynasonic with that power and authority ... I honestly think it must come down to pure mass of magnet material!   
    Oh so the newer ones don't have the same magnets? I was sort of looking at your build a bit horrified at how much bother you had fitting the pickups... I kind of suspect (having never tried them!) that I'd like Dynasonics, but they seem a bit of a pain to fit to a guitar that's not already built for them. 
    All the ;'easier to fit' modern ones have shorter magnets or short magnets and no 'height mechanism' ... I think this is one of the major causes of differences in tone, that combined with stepping up a wire gauge as the modern ones are. Most modern ones are around the 8k 43awg mark ... mine were some of the very first Dynasonics: and were about  12.7k and 44awg wire ... which is how I rewound them.   DartmoorHedgehog said:
    That was a really interesting read - thanks for posting that.  I had no idea dynasonics were so unusually constructed. Looks like a cylinder head with valves.

I'm quite envious of that guitar as well. I've always had the idea that I don't like Fenders (I've always played more Gibsonesque designs, and can't stand strats) but I don't think I've ever played a Telecaster and that one with those pickups and the Bigsby is definitely calling me over to "the other side".
    Really only the scale and body shape are Fender-esque ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

All the ;'easier to fit' modern ones have shorter magnets or short magnets and no 'height mechanism' ... I think this is one of the major causes of differences in tone, that combined with stepping up a wire gauge as the modern ones are. Most modern ones are around the 8k 43awg mark ... mine were some of the very first Dynasonics: and were about  12.7k and 44awg wire ... which is how I rewound them.   
    Yeah that's quite a bit of difference in specs, and I'm guessing that would change the tone substantially... :( 
    edited March 12 tFB Trader
    The bass and mids on the old ones are insane
    I think I may need to do some demos
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    How different are these, to a genuine Gibson staple? I'd heard that the staple pickup was created because Les found the P90 too 'flubby' and so retrofitted DeArmonds under the original P90 pickup covers on his own guitars. I read that Gibson obviously didn't like that so put the staple on the LPC so that Les didn't need to mod his guitars... he did, but that was because he loved tinkering...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    They have quite a bit of the staple about them ... not a hint of flubb in there. But they feel a little 'ruder' if you get my meaning ... the bridge pickup especially has a big dose of 'angry Tele' if you turn the wick up a bit. 'Both pickups on' is Travis picking heaven, everything popping and sparkling ... loads of clarity and attack. 
    As you may have gathered ... I love these, and for playing 'Americana' I think you have to go some to beat them. They actually sound great with a fuzz for White Stripes kinda stuff too! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The bass and mids on the old ones are insane
    I think I may need to do some demos
    Yeah that would be great  =)
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    What a fantastic result.
  • SonicSonic Frets: 0
    edited March 25
    Awesome build, I have the same idea in mind.  You mentioned using a blender or pan pot rather than a 3 way, any reason you plumped for the latter in the end?  I was considering the relative merits of volume/tone for each pickup, or a master volume and pan/blender. Or what you have.  Cheers
    tFB Trader
    Sonic said:
    Awesome build, I have the same idea in mind.  You mentioned using a blender or pan pot rather than a 3 way, any reason you plumped for the latter in the end?  I was considering the relative merits of volume/tone for each pickup, or a master volume and pan/blender. Or what you have.  Cheers
    In the end I had such a fantastic tone from both pickups I went 'soddit' I don't need a tone, so I have a volume and pickup selector only ... 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SonicSonic Frets: 0
    Sonic said:
    In the end I had such a fantastic tone from both pickups I went 'soddit' I don't need a tone, so I have a volume and pickup selector only ... 
    yes, that’s a good call.  I suppose if you’d wound them to 13k like the originals there’s no need. 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 790
    edited March 25
    And ... aside from a scratch plate ... it's done 

Insanely, I just cut the nut and no other adjustment was needed ... the action was perfect and the intonation near to spot on. 

Sound wise it's astonishing., the long magnets and early style 44awg/12.7k DCR give exactly the tone you'd expect from a 50s Gretsch! Clear and clean on an amp with loads of headroom ... with the hint of a Tele like snarl in the bridge position. Into a an amp wound up a bit the snarl becomes more and more angry. 
    There's twang a plenty ... I caught myself playing 'Ghost Riders In The Sky' with a typical, deep Dynasonic rumble and twang, and you can even venture into ACDC rhythm tones. I'm glad I copper lined the pickup routs, as the 3/4 Faraday cage has made the pickups very quiet for single coils. 

This may well end up as my number one Tele ...  
    Looks amazing!  Bet it sounds even better. 

Personally I’d ditch the scratch guard as it looks great without. I still don’t fully understand why we attach a nasty piece of plastic to a beautiful piece of lumber. 
    edited March 26 tFB Trader
    I agree ... I don't think I can be bothered to fit a scratchplate ... it looks, sounds and feels great  ...  so 'job done'. 

A job left to do is to fit a longer trem spring ... the Bigsby came with a 3/4" and the arm is WAY too low with 9.5 D'addarios. Spring ordered ... 
    In the meantime it looks like after a longish period of 'resting' as they say in the theatre business ... I may have started a band again  ... indirectly through this guitar :-)
    Watch this space. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom