Two Rock amps. I don’t get it?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9543
    I'm happy to be proven wrong, and I've never had a Fender-style amp so perhaps I just don't "get it" either, but all these "boutique" amp discussions just smack of Emperor's New Clothes to me. They must be amazing because otherwise they wouldn't be so expensive, and if you don't understand then it's because you're not good enough.

Surely various amps sound different and we all pick one that suits our taste. Versatility I do get - an amp that covers a wide range of sounds I want I would value higher than a one-trick pony, but most of these mythical holy-grail amps seem to be endless variations on clean Fenders.  I'm definitely one who doesn't get it.  Sorry D 
    I understand your sentiments but as I always say, just play one…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Another TR owner here. 100w Custom Reverb Sig. 

I agree with other users in that they reproduce the little nuances of your playing very well. That includes the mistakes. However, it’s no bad thing but I couldn’t tell you why they do this. It also feels ‘stiffer’ - again, I don’t know enough technical detail but I think it might be a combination of headroom, less compression and increased attack on the note. I use a 2x12 open back cab and there’s plenty of bottom end and (ymmv) it’s a glorious thing, especially at gig levels.

Going back to @octatonic post, mine is paired with a matchless and they are a great combination.

The OP queries the number of models but I think you are reading too much into it. They are into their 3rd round of ownership (founding company, PGB, bought back) and they have always been at the upper end of the market so there is refinement of models along the way. In fact, how many different strats and teles have there been over the last 65 years….;-)

Joking aside, as a company, their customer support is excellent. You email, they respond within a day or so.

They appear to be enjoying a sustainable few years- they have just acquired /13 because the owner(s) of /13 felt it was a better cultural fit than selling out to a big corporate. They are a small team and don’t want to grow too much….. and in a recent interview, Eli said they just enjoy designing and making great amps…….  so good luck to them. 

But I do wish they would chop their postage costs for T shirts!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1634
    "100w Custom Reverb Sig." Fork! You would have to be a very incompetent designer* of amplifiers to make a 100W valve amp that was NOT effectively 'high fidelity' at say 20 watts, a power level that would be fine for most pub gigs. This reinforces my statement  that a very clean, low distortion amplifier IS going to expose poor technique.
    As for 'headroom' running a 2X12 will give you another couple of dB over a single 12. In short a very loud rig indeed.

*And from all we have read, the guys at Two Rock are not that!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm happy to be proven wrong, and I've never had a Fender-style amp so perhaps I just don't "get it" either, but all these "boutique" amp discussions just smack of Emperor's New Clothes to me. They must be amazing because otherwise they wouldn't be so expensive, and if you don't understand then it's because you're not good enough.

Surely various amps sound different and we all pick one that suits our taste. Versatility I do get - an amp that covers a wide range of sounds I want I would value higher than a one-trick pony, but most of these mythical holy-grail amps seem to be endless variations on clean Fenders.  I'm definitely one who doesn't get it.  Sorry D 
    I understand your sentiments but as I always say, just play one…
    That is completely fair - and I haven't (hence my disclaimer). I'm sure they're excellent amps, and if I had the chance I'd certainly have a play with one.  My comment wasn't specifically aimed at Two Rock by the way - I'm equally sceptical about the other "posh" Fender, Vox or Marshall copies. The comments about the combos earlier in the thread were interesting though - if a small combo really has the depth of sound as a bigger cab then that's definitely a point in its favour (speaking as someone who lugs a head and 2x12 to gigs).
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader

From an amp cab point of view I would think that small cab will be quite boxy, not a lot of deep lows?

Would be great for a band setting or recording. But when people say it exposes your mistakes I think that mid forward focus of a small cab with no low deep end would do that.
    Not boxy at all, strangely, and the deep ends are very good too if you want them. The EQ on these amps are the best I’ve encountered.

I guess that this is the design elements that you are paying for ?
    Fully agree, not boxy at all. 
    Interesting, I will need to investigate further then
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    Bats_ said:
    Ahh the VH100R. 

Best sounding amp I’ve ever, ever owned/played though. Could do everything and sound incredible. 

Problem with it;

Louder than anything else on the planet. 
    Weighed the same as my car. 

Playing though it felt like I was a child with a machine gun. 
    I enjoyed this. Thanks.
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • randellarandella Frets: 4174
    edited March 1
    mo6020 said:
    Bats_ said:
    Ahh the VH100R. 

Best sounding amp I’ve ever, ever owned/played though. Could do everything and sound incredible. 

Problem with it;

Louder than anything else on the planet. 
    Weighed the same as my car. 

Playing though it felt like I was a child with a machine gun. 
    I enjoyed this. Thanks.
    I was given one of these a while back - it's awaiting new output valve sockets (how the old ones got as buggered as they are I have no idea!). I have four nice new Beltons to install.

Anyhow, guess my neighbours should be warned after reading that description lol