Sennheiser G4 IEM distortion

FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2417
Hi all,

I've got a single G4 IEM rack that I use with my band.

I've noticed that the sounds seem to be more 'distorted' through the IEMs, and cannot work out why.

To test this, I just connected OUT 2 of my Fractal AXE FX3 to the inputs of the G4 via XLR to TRS cables. My patches for the guitar are a mix of clean to overdriven - but each of them also sound a lot more distorted, as though there's a very hot signal coming in. I've ensured the levels are set so there is no clipping on the G4 unit itself.

I've set the output of the Axe FX 3 to be mic level (-10 instead of +4) - that's not helped. I've ensured the output volume is giving a healthy signal to the G4 without hitting the top of the meter on the front of the G4. Even if I lower this, the sound still has extra gain to it. Sensitivity on the G4 is set to -21dB.

I have another output (OUT 1) of the Axe FX 3 outputting to my studio monitors in Stereo via XLR, and that sound has less gain that the IEMs, and sounds 'normal'.

I'm a bit at my wits end - anyone else experienced anything like this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don’t have a system like this, so no real experience, but have you tried a different set of IEM’s or headphones? Just to make sure that they haven’t got fried by accident. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10434
    Is the distortion there when you plug the IEM's into the transmitter rather than the receiver ? 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • and what about if you swap OUT 1 with OUT 2, i.e. use the tried and tested OUT 1 with the IEM system as a sense check
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2417

This is driving me mad....!

Tested the following:

- Used OUT3 instead of OUT2 (tried TRS-TRS, TRS-XLR, TS-TS)
    - Tested the headphone out on the front of the IEM G4 unit
    - Tested different headphones

Still get the same issue. Very frustrating.

• you said OUT 1 worked fine with the monitors... how is OUT with the IEM route?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2417
    you said OUT 1 worked fine with the monitors... how is OUT with the IEM route?
    Just checked, get the same issue. Sounds like extra gain / distortion is being applied somewhere.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1658
    edited February 29
    if all the various OUT(s) to the monitors sound OK... then you have eliminated the cables and the Fractal...

..so then you can focus on the IEM bit alone..  gain/sensitivity/interference/headphones...
    My trading feedback