Anyone own(ed) a Boox Note 3 Air?

What's Hot
Especially if you have used an iPad/apple pencil or Remarkable 2. 

What is the writing experience like? 

Remarkable is marketed as feeling like paper to write on. I don't fully agree with that but it's very good. 

An iPad/iPencil combination feels like tapping on glass in comparison and quite unnatural. 

Where does the Note 3 Air (either colour or black and white) sit on that continuum? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichACRichAC Frets: 744
    I’ll be interested to hear of any experiences as well. I do take notes in my iPad with an Apple Pencil, and it is a bit strange.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    I use a silicon tip on my Apple Pencil, if you already have both it’s a a low cost way of getting a more natural feel when writing. 
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    I already have a screen protector made by PenTips that introduces drag and I think takes it to 70% of the feel of a remarkable 2.

I’m waiting for the tips to arrive as apparently the 2 together is even better.

the remarkable is really good though, I’d buy one today except that I need to be able to password protected individual notes and you can’t. Hence my interest in the note 3 air.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    relic245 said:

An iPad/iPencil combination feels like tapping on glass in comparison and quite unnatural. 

I really don't like that tapping on glass feeling.
    Solved that one with a screen protector for the iPad.  Tried several before finding one I really like.* 

And after endless indecision on choosing a digital notebook I've ended up using something called a Rocketbook
    Basically it's like a notebook with weird plastic-y pages that you can wipe your notes off like a white board.  But each page has a QR code so when you take a pic a pdf file gets sent to wherever you want.  A cloud folder for me. 

If the Remarkable 2 wasn't so expensive it's a good one-trick pony.  The Boox range look good.  The Kindle Scribe looks hopeless to me.

*It's like trying to find an overdrive pedal -- they're all the same but somehow they're not!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27525
    Grunfeld said:

*It's like trying to find an overdrive pedal -- they're all the same but somehow they're not!

Wis'd for that comment!

My experience is that all of the options are compromised to some extent, or in some way.  I think you have to invest fully into your chosen device and accept that you've got to workaround whatever its drawbacks are, else you'll be forever looking for that (non-existent) perfect solution ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Grunfeld said:
    relic245 said:

I really don't like that tapping on glass feeling.
    Solved that one with a screen protector for the iPad.  Tried several before finding one I really like.* 

And after endless indecision on choosing a digital notebook I've ended up using something called a Rocketbook
    Basically it's like a notebook with weird plastic-y pages that you can wipe your notes off like a white board.  But each page has a QR code so when you take a pic a pdf file gets sent to wherever you want.  A cloud folder for me. 

If the Remarkable 2 wasn't so expensive it's a good one-trick pony.  The Boox range look good.  The Kindle Scribe looks hopeless to me.

Very true 

I used to use a rocket book, maybe 5 years ago and still have loads of the pen refills.

It was good but I like to be able to go back and edit notes, sometimes years later which didn't work.

As @TTony said there is no perfect solution.

You have however given me an idea of where the rocket book could fill a use.   Off to see if I still have it.