How to make a set neck narrower?

What's Hot
I have a cheap set neck solid body guitar that, for my preference, would be more playable if the neck was not so wide from the 10th fret up.

How would you go about narrowing the neck to 52mm wide at the 12th? Think it is currently about 53.5mm. 

Just keep filing it down or is there a better tool/method?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27603

How would you go about narrowing the neck to 52mm wide at the 12th? 
    I really don't think  I would!

If you remove 1.5mm from the edges, you'll either need to recarve the back of the neck, or you'll end up with an odd-feeling ridge there.

Likely that you'll also have to do some fretwork on the affected part of the neck.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    TTony said:

How would you go about narrowing the neck to 52mm wide at the 12th? 
    I really don't think  I would!

If you remove 1.5mm from the edges, you'll either need to recarve the back of the neck, or you'll end up with an odd-feeling ridge there.

Likely that you'll also have to do some fretwork on the affected part of the neck.
    I realise that, so that is not a problem.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16715
    edited February 27
    it's not a great idea, but can be done by either filing down slowly, or removing the frets and rerouting the edges  If its bound that is going to end up very thin and best done the slow way as a router will pull it off

You have to consider what happens where it goes across the body.  Will it expose things you don't want to see?  will you have a ridge in the cutaway, or reshape body to match?

it's not that uncommon to see old guitars converted to Tenors with the neck slimmed down in this way.  often  they leave the bit across the body full width
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24349
    I know John Shuker has reprofiled some bass necks like that for people on Basschat.

It's not a cheap job (at least not with him) but they come back very good - but it is usually the entire thing - like turning a 42mm nut P bass neck into a 38mm J type - and adjusting it all the way to the heel.
    It is not bound, but it does sound like it will be more hassle than worth especially up the body end. I think I'll pass.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24349
    Is the guitar too cheap to consider getting a pro to do it?

Is the guitar too cheap to consider getting a pro to do it?

Yeah I'm not that bothered tbh, it was just a thought. I've got lots of other projects to get on with anyway :D 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    Years ago you could find pics online of a 50s Les Paul goldtop that had been converted into an electric banjo, by shaving the neck down heavily on both sides above the body joint.

I wish I was kidding, but I'm not! I can't find any pics now, so I suspect it's been re-necked and the evidence has been destroyed... (And the guitar no doubt sold as 'original'.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16715
    edited February 27
    ICBM said:
    Years ago you could find pics online of a 50s Les Paul goldtop that had been converted into an electric banjo, by shaving the neck down heavily on both sides above the body joint.

I wish I was kidding, but I'm not! I can't find any pics now, so I suspect it's been re-necked and the evidence has been destroyed... (And the guitar no doubt sold as 'original'.)
    Gibson made some Tenor's

i do remember that goldtop, here is a more recent conversion
    https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-les-paul-studio-tenor-conversion-2001-black

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    .75 of a mm, each side, with no binding, I'd just be sanding and filing to suit.
    Prefer a raw, oil finish on a neck anyway. Slow as you go, and you'll get there.
    That's exactly what I did @andy_k I couldn't resist :)

Was pretty painless tbh. It's only a Harley Benton DC, so not like I was about to ruin a vintage guitar.

Feels a lot better now and plays just like a 50s Jr :lol: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom