New Epi Firebirds

What's Hot

Comments

• Yeah that price is an instant no go for me. Could pick up a decent condition full fat LP for that used. Hadn't spotted the laurel either. I am absolutely fine with it on my Squier for a couple of hundred quid. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2513
    I dig them. Won’t buy one though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5790
    stonevibe said:
    A fool and his money... (again)

They build Epiphones in the same factory as other famous cheap budget brands, so I cannot see how these prices are justified.
    I have no problem with a factory that normally makes cheap guitars upping the quality of parts and time to make a more refined product. I’m not see that being the case with these though. 

The do look fantastic and if they’re anything like the other ‘inspired by’ Epiphones I’ve played probably pretty good. But not £1700 good. 
  • One thousand seven hundred pounds. For an Epiphone.

That's completely fucking ridiculous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3991
    stonevibe said:

They build Epiphones in the same factory as other famous cheap budget brands, so I cannot see how these prices are justified.
    I thought Gibson owned their own Epiphone factory in China?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5790
    One thousand seven hundred pounds. For an Epiphone.

Genuinely curious about this take. Is it that people are thinking Epiphone can’t build a higher quality guitar? Shouldn’t build a higher quality guitar? Or could but aren’t building a higher quality guitar and are just charging for one? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3343
    edited February 27
    dazzajl said:
    One thousand seven hundred pounds. For an Epiphone.

Genuinely curious about this take. Is it that people are thinking Epiphone can’t build a higher quality guitar? Shouldn’t build a higher quality guitar? Or could but aren’t building a higher quality guitar and are just charging for one? 
    We’re presuming the later. The former can be decided once they’re released. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9348
    Played one of the £649 birds briefly last year. Was fine and well built. Very thick slippy poly though and at that price, I'd be expecting a way better finish. 
    stonevibe said:

I thought Gibson owned their own Epiphone factory in China?
    Yep
  • willowillo Frets: 386
    How is this £1200 better than the Epi FBs that are currently available c.£500?

Or the Gibbo FB that was available at £1700 last year?

Is it better materials? More expensive labour? More hours?

Happy to be persuaded by Gibson but I can't think it's anything much more than brand ambitions and balance sheet needs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27165
    willo said:
    How is this £1200 better than the Epi FBs that are currently available c.£500?

Or the Gibbo FB that was available at £1700 last year?

Is it better materials? More expensive labour? More hours?

Happy to be persuaded by Gibson but I can't think it's anything much more than brand ambitions and balance sheet needs. 
    When it's one company it's simple price gouging. 

When it's every product in every market it's massive devaluation of currency... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • willo said: Is it better materials?
    I mean it's even a laurel fretboard - for that money I'd expect rosewood or ebony. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3991
    It’s really like they’re pushing it with each release.

I could be wrong on these, but based on my memory…

Lucille ~£999
    Korina V and Explorer, Joe B SG ~£1,349 
    Greeny and Adam Jones ~£1,499
    Firebird ~£1,699

Full disclosure, I bought a 150th Anniversary Sheraton and I am massively impressed by it - but I wanted an Epiphone Sheraton, I like them a lot.

I just couldn’t spend £1,500 on an Epiphone Les Paul or SG when I could get a used Gibson in the same price bracket.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2610
    edited February 27 tFB Trader
    willo said: Is it better materials?
    I mean it's even a laurel fretboard - for that money I'd expect rosewood or ebony. 
    They do seem to have upped the electronics and the neck is mahogany and walnut which is cool. Still not worth that extra on top of a normal epi though. Its a weird space to be in. You can get a low end Gibson for £1499 or even a second hand LP... Its like, if you want a Gibson but can only afford an Epi but then matching Gibson prices which surely goes against one of the whole points of Epiphone to provide cheaper Gibson copies.  But then you can only get new Gibson Firebirds as a custom which start at $4499 so maybe thats the strategy. Only sell the  Gibson designer models (so they call them) as customs and let Epiphone take over that end of the market. So does that mean no more Gibson USA Firebirds?
    Neck Pickup

Gibson USA Firebird Mini Humbucker with Alnico 5 Magnet

Bridge Pickup

Gibson USA Firebird Mini Humbucker with Alnico 5 Magnet

Controls

2 Volume, 2 Tone, Hand-wired with CTS Potentiometers and Mallory Capacitors

Pickup Selector

3-way Switchcraft

Output Jack

1/4" Switchcraft

• willowillo Frets: 386
    The reality is they are struggling to sell all these extra expensive Epis - the Explorers, Adam Jones, and the anniversary Crestwoods/Zephyrs (remember them?) have all been at 20-25% discount in the recent past. Firebirds are cool but niche; non-Gibson Firebirds even more; and at this price I just can't see the market.

My assumption is the long term strategy is to kill off the cheaper Gibson ranges (Tribute, the old Studios), use Epiphone to occupy a higher price point at list that also helps justify further Gibson price raises.

Really I'd be happier paying these prices for actual Epiphone guitars rather than Gibson copies.

But we'll see!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah… fuck that price (for that spec), I’m out entirely.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11937
    £1700 for an Epiphone... nah.  I paid £900 for my immaculate Gibson FB V in 2019.  Times have moved on I guess.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    edited February 27
    Total piss take at those prices. I recently bought a (used) custom shop gibson for a few hundred more. And a (very lightly used) Epi IBG ES-335 for £350.

USA Gibson Firebird studios were £900 a couple of years ago, and could be picked up for £6-700 used. So how are these Chinese epis twice the price now?
    https://richtonemusic.co.uk/gibson-firebird-studio-pelham-blue-w-gig-bag-2nd-hand/

If anyone actually buys one, please can you post an NGD on here so we can all laugh at how much of a mug you are.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Rabs said:

But then you can only get new Gibson Firebirds as a custom which start at $4499 so maybe thats the strategy. Only sell the  Gibson designer models (so they call them) as customs and let Epiphone take over that end of the market. So does that mean no more Gibson USA Firebirds?
    Maybe not as laminated through necks, set neck firebirds bodies have been spotted in the USA factory tour videos recently. I suppose Epiphone through necks will fill that need hence the price, CS is there for American made versions
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Seems like the new owners were actually just emperors new clothes after all. This smacks of the same sort of stuff they did under Henry.