New Epi Firebirds

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3991
    If they wanted to put some vintage inspired guitars out that are cheaper than Custom Shop, why not do it with Gibson USA, like Fender do with American Vintage?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2513
    Probably because even they can’t see a market for 4 grand, 9 ply through neck USA models
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    If I was going to spend the best part of £2k on a Firebird I'd be getting a used Gibson. That's crazy money for an Epiphone (excluding the USA made ones)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5864
    The new Trogly video, he does a rough calculation of the price increase against the parts and he gets it about right in his mind. Don't know if he's spot on though.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11934
    The new Trogly video, he does a rough calculation of the price increase against the parts and he gets it about right in his mind. Don't know if he's spot on though.
    I watched that.  He can calculate all he wants - I'd never pay £1700 for an Epiphone.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16748
    This is the comparison that matters.

Compare the I's to the previous III... the parts cost is not higher, and they are not tied to the traditional laminations with the solid colours.

The V's will always be more parts cost, but not even the £350 [over the I's.   I'd be surprised if it was more than a £50 cost increase for the factory to adda vibrola, extra pickup and banjo tuners
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11934
    edited March 19
    WezV said:
    This is the comparison that matters.

Compare the I's to the previous III... the parts cost is not higher, and they are not tied to the traditional laminations with the solid colours.

The V's will always be more parts cost, but not even the £350 [over the I's.   I'd be surprised if it was more than a £50 cost increase for the factory to adda vibrola, extra pickup and banjo tuners
    Absolutely bang on the wedge.  And who the fuck would want banjo tuners when you can have Steinbergers?!
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 337
    so two less knobs, one pickup, shit tuners, gash colour and only £770 more? I suppose if they sell then they will be able to justify the price whether we like it or not (someone will), personally Epiphone won't ever be on my purchase list unless I see one for 50 quid in a pawn shop.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5864
    Offset said:
    I watched that.  He can calculate all he wants - I'd never pay £1700 for an Epiphone.
    Neither would I :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2330
    Offset said:
    That guy pays silly money on a daily basis and like JHS creates this fever amongst watchers to spend daft money on things that can be had cheaper another way.

His guitar buying is like a serious addiction...not normal behaviour. Once you get to that stage it's no fun anymore. It's just a NEED. I have been on a journey of buying a lot of guitar and basses but I'm glad I'm out of it, more so because its so expensive post covid.

He justifies his spending because some daft human will buy it off him for more than retail. Absolutely bizarre.

I notice he often says 'ill ask Gibson to make me a custom with this' or 'this is for my museum.' Both won't happen. 

Take any opinion he has with a pinch of salt. Especially with awful tone he has.

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5789
    So a rose by any other name actually doesn’t smell as sweet. 

Not having tried one of these, I don’t think I’d spend close to £1700 on one but I wouldn’t rule out ever spending that on an Epiphone if they made a guitar that really competed at that price point. A lot of comments here along the line of “I’d never spend £1700 on an Epi”. Suggesting that there is a ceiling that can’t be broken with that brand, no matter what the product is like. 

Whereas Fender, Gibson and others can take a standard product, spend maybe 20% more on production time, give it a custom shop tag and double the selling price. Ultimately, it’s much more about brand value than product quality and leaves the question, can Gibson build enough value into the Epiphone badge to counter the current view of most guitarists. Personally, I don’t see it happening. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6730
    Offset said:
    That guy pays silly money on a daily basis and like JHS creates this fever amongst watchers to spend daft money on things that can be had cheaper another way.

His guitar buying is like a serious addiction...not normal behaviour. Once you get to that stage it's no fun anymore. It's just a NEED. I have been on a journey of buying a lot of guitar and basses but I'm glad I'm out of it, more so because its so expensive post covid.

He justifies his spending because some daft human will buy it off him for more than retail. Absolutely bizarre.

I notice he often says 'ill ask Gibson to make me a custom with this' or 'this is for my museum.' Both won't happen. 

Take any opinion he has with a pinch of salt. Especially with awful tone he has.

It's almost as if YouTube runs on videos that are about acquiring stuff instead of enjoying or playing with stuff. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31641
    dazzajl said:
    So a rose by any other name actually doesn’t smell as sweet. 

Not having tried one of these, I don’t think I’d spend close to £1700 on one but I wouldn’t rule out ever spending that on an Epiphone if they made a guitar that really competed at that price point. A lot of comments here along the line of “I’d never spend £1700 on an Epi”. Suggesting that there is a ceiling that can’t be broken with that brand, no matter what the product is like. 

Whereas Fender, Gibson and others can take a standard product, spend maybe 20% more on production time, give it a custom shop tag and double the selling price. Ultimately, it’s much more about brand value than product quality and leaves the question, can Gibson build enough value into the Epiphone badge to counter the current view of most guitarists. Personally, I don’t see it happening. 
    I think Epiphone is a bit of a special case when it comes to perceived value. 
    I don't think I'm alone in being happier to pay a good price for models which were always Epiphones compared to those which are merely Asian copies of Gibson guitars. 

There's no real practical differences in quality, but how a lot of us feel about them is certainly different, however illogical that is. 

An Epiphone Wilshire is a pretty cool guitar, an Epiphone SG not so much. 
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 304
    I did buy one of the previous Epi firebirds. It went back in the box and was returned after about 5 minutes because it was a total Friday night special. Build and QC were awful. If I were going to try again and buy one of the new ones I would want to make damn sure I tried the thing first. I have no problems with the Epiphone name and much of what they are turning out these days is very good. I am reminded of a comparison video I saw recently where they were testing high-end Gibson LPs and in the end they all preferred the sound out of an Epi that happened to be in the shop. 

Part of the jump in the price tags is going to be simple economics. The idiot system of inflationary economics under which our species operates essentially means the numbers will always grow. Right now we're seeing adjustments resulting from pandemic, various recessions and so on. Same reason why a loaf of bread that was 20p when I were a lad is now £2. The bread hasn't changed, nor has the means of production. It is just a numbers game based on an unbalanced equation.

In time the new numbers will come to seem normal until we undergo the next correction. 

The sensible option at this time would be to go down the used Gibson route although that doesn't necessarily get you a better instrument than a good specimen of the current Epiphone production.

As with any guitar, try a few and pick the one you like within your predetermined budget, regardless of the logo on the headstock.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.