Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pedals that accept midi (the big list!)

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
edited April 2016 in FX
Right... coz I'm right annoyed with having to look this up every time. I will get the ball rolling. Feel free to add suggestions and I'll edit the post.

Drive

TC Electronic Nova Drive
Line 6 M5
Line 6 M9
Line 6 M13
Decibel 11 Dirt Clod
T-Rex Spindoctor (the 2nd version does not appear to support midi)

Modulation

Strymon Mobius
Eventide Modfactor
Line 6 M5
Line 6 M9
Line 6 M13
Eventide H9
Damage Control Glass Nexus

Delay

Strymon Timeline
Eventide Timefactor
Line 6 M5
Line 6 M9
Line 6 M13
TC Electronic Flashback x4
TC Electronic Triple Delay
TC Electronic Alter Ego x4
Pigtronix Echolution 2 Deluxe
Eventide H9
Korg SDD-3000
Damage Control Timeline
Boss DD500

Reverb

Strymon Big Sky
Eventide SPACE
Line 6 M5
Line 6 M9
Line 6 M13
Eventide H9

Looping

EHX 2880 Delay / looper

Pitch

Digitech Whammy 4

Misc

Linn Adrenalinn I
Linn Adrenalinn II
Linn Adrenalinn III
Boss Slicer (tempo only)

Multi-FX

Line 6 M5
Line 6 M9
Line 6 M13
Eventide H9
Boss GT100, GT10, GT8, GT6, GT5, GT3
Line 6 Pod HD Bean and HD500
Line 6 Pod X3
TC Electronic G-System
Vox Tonelab LE/SE
Korg AX3000G
Zoom 9.2tt
Zoom 7.1t
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Eventide H9 - delay, reverb, modulation
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    Drive: The Decibel 11 Dirt Clod.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    EHX 2880 Delay / looper
    Linn Adrenalinn I
    Linn Adrenalinn II
    Linn Adrenalinn III

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    tFB Trader
    Distortion Amp Sim - T-Rex Spindoctor

Also the Damage Control Glass Nexus and Timeline have MIDI and are quite interesting considering they were made by the same guys that make Strymon.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159
     Only ones I own that have MIDI are the Whammy 4 & Boss Slicer.
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    edited October 2014

The Nova Drive does MIDI in and out, but the docs don't cover MIDI out. I suspect the out is for working with the G-system. It has a single 5-pin DIN connector and a Y-cable is needed for MIDI in and out. However, looking at the pin-out for the TC cable, it looks like a standard MIDI cable will work for MIDI in.

The implementation looks pretty comprehensive. All controls can be adjusted (and with an expression pedal that sends on the right CC number if desired).Can also change the internal routing. Doesn't look like the mode switch can be changed (Manual, Toggle or Bank). Program changes can be sent to change presets, but no mention of accepting MIDI bank changes, and it's not clear whether it can be told to go to the "no preset" manual control mode. I might have a play sometime.

EDIT: Can confirm that a standard MIDI cable works, bank changes from the controller do nothing, and the manual mode can't be selected as a patch.

So, its concept of banks is internal only, which means that you couldn't set a bank over MIDI and then use the 3-way TC footswitch to select one of three patches. However, if you have the footswitch connected, and it's in bank mode, you can choose preset 1 to 18 over MIDI, and it will change to the bank/patch corresponding to the selected preset. The footswitch can then be used to select any of the three patches in the bank that contains the initially-selected preset.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• longilongi Frets: 95
    edited October 2014
    Vox Tonelab LE/SE
    Korg AX3000G
    Zoom 9.2tt
    Zoom 7.1t
    Drew are you gonna turn this into a matrix of goodness?

Stuff like the Boss Slicer and RC500 only accept the timecode parts of the protocol,
    the m5 accepts the time protocol and the program changes for 0-20, a cc for the expression pedal and sysex for backups.

The EHX 2880 has no need of sysex transfer, uses the Program controls, command controls, takes an expression pedal, recieves time based instructions or transmits them.

Both of these work on any (or all) or the 16 midi channels.

Like I said somewhere else not all Midi pedals are created equal :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited October 2014
    For completeness, you should probably include a small section for USB controlled effects, along with MIDI to USB units.

And, like @frankus pointed out above, it maybe worth noting either the main inclusions, or the exclusions, in MIDI implementation.
    That fact alone could totally change your specification of a unit as fit for purpose.

• For completeness, you should probably include a small section for USB controlled effects, along with MIDI to USB units.

And, like @frankus pointed out above, it maybe worth noting either the main inclusions, or the exclusions, in MIDI implementation.
    That fact alone could totally change your specification of a unit as fit for purpose.

There is a character limit for posts - just as a precaution if someone was to do that thread it might be worth the OP claiming the first couple of posts to allow expansion otherwise info gets lost further down the thread.  It might all fit in one, but it also might not when you get to that level of detail (so characters).
    Might just be a blog type thing then ~:)
    Good point @guitarfishbay, and by editing your posts you hit that limit early, I don't do the HTML thing, so I can't work out why.  Maybe someone can enlighten me, as I have run across that problem multiple times.  I assume it is a compounded formatting issue.

My workaround is to copy, delete and paste back in, which helps for a while, but there must be a better (easier) solution.

An index linked to the various key posts is one way of organising the slightly haphazard nature of using forum discussions as a knowledge-base.  It is also useful to utilise the 30 posts per page thing too (which I assume is on all platforms)

tFB Trader
    An easy solution is to highlight all and hit the "remove formatting|" button.

Mostly people hit the limit when they paste content in from Word or other silly places. 

On a Mac you can do: shift + alt + cmd + v to paste without formatting. No idea if Windows has a similar shortcut as I don't have a windows machine. 
    :)

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24573
    Is that a Whammy 4 or Whammy 5?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    frankus said:
    Drew are you gonna turn this into a matrix of goodness?

Stuff like the Boss Slicer and RC500 only accept the timecode parts of the protocol,
    the m5 accepts the time protocol and the program changes for 0-20, a cc for the expression pedal and sysex for backups.

The EHX 2880 has no need of sysex transfer, uses the Program controls, command controls, takes an expression pedal, recieves time based instructions or transmits them.

Both of these work on any (or all) or the 16 midi channels.

Like I said somewhere else not all Midi pedals are created equal :)
    Eventually I'll do something like that yes, but initially just wanted to capture those with any sort of implementation. Call it an alpha version ;)
    wise man :)
    edited November 2014 tFB Trader
    This thread needs the soundblox pedals adding.

Also I think some of the Empress pedals have MIDI via an adapter. 
    Loopers:
    Boss RC50 is midi enabled but apparently it's better at telling other devices what to do than being told.

also

one of the older Jammans had a midi sync...
  • Whammy DT, Whammy Bass and Whammy 5. Not sure about earlier ones but suspect not.

Zoom G3 also does under all categories.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires