Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pedals that accept midi (the big list!)

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Looping: TC Electronic Ditto X4 & boss rc-300, pretty sure there are a couple more but the ditto seems most practical so thought it was worth adding!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aaron76 said:
    Looping: TC Electronic Ditto X4 & boss rc-300, pretty sure there are a couple more but the ditto seems most practical so thought it was worth adding!
    Ditto only has tap tempo on Midi for production firmware, unless you have the Beta firmware that is not on general release. Bit of an oversell by TC on that one, it doesn't do much out of the box.

Also the other TC X4's:

Triple delay does not work on programme change commands, only CC.
    AE X4 and Flashback X4 only allow preset changes, and I think expression pedal - bizarrely does not do bypass via midi
  • Also worth mentioning that with about half an hour and £15 worth of gadgets, any of the Zoom digital pedals (MS50G, MS70CDR, G3, G5) can be made to accept MIDI commands. I think they can send MIDI too. The only crapper is that there's no MIDI table available, so you're pretty much limited to patch changes or a lot of trial and error.
    <space for hire>
  • Also worth mentioning that with about half an hour and £15 worth of gadgets, any of the Zoom digital pedals (MS50G, MS70CDR, G3, G5) can be made to accept MIDI commands. I think they can send MIDI too. The only crapper is that there's no MIDI table available, so you're pretty much limited to patch changes or a lot of trial and error.
    And if you're not handy with electronics then you could buy this:
    http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

And if you're not handy with electronics then you could buy this:
    http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

Very true. Now that I no longer need it for delays (the lack of spillover on patch changes was the dealbreaker), I'm wondering if I should rebuild the gadget and run it in front of the amp for modulation, compression and maybe even some fuzzy stuff. Obviously I'd need to get the MS50G for that, 'cos the MS70CDR only really covers modulation.
    <space for hire>
  • I was seriously considering using my G3 and buying the Kenton for modulation when I was planning my BOSS ES-8 board. Got a great deal on a Mobius, but it would have been really cool to do it.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    T-Rex Betavibe modulation
    T-Rex Replica delay
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17664
    tFB Trader
    I wish that Kenton box was a bit cheaper (or they put MIDI on the G3!)
  • I wish that Kenton box was a bit cheaper (or they put MIDI on the G3!)
    I spoke to them at the Brum show - they said it's never going to happen. It's apparently a "pro" feature and thus will only ever appear on the G7 and G9, which are not going to be updated.
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17664
    tFB Trader
    They are really missing a trick.

If either the G3 or the GT-001 had MIDI huge numbers of people would have them as an all purpose mod/delay/reverb box for switcher based rigs.
  • They are really missing a trick.

If either the G3 or the GT-001 had MIDI huge numbers of people would have them as an all purpose mod/delay/reverb box for switcher based rigs.
    Indeed.

In fact...what's really needed is a small (sub-Boss-sized) box with MIDI in/out and audio in/out, which is a fully programmable effects unit connected to via Bluetooth (or USB), which behaves like the MS70CDR or MS50G but has spillover between patches.

Nobody can tell me that - with the technology available today - we can't build such a thing with high-quality converters and plenty of DSP available.

Just add a MIDI controller with your desired level of switching, and job done. Want it in 4CM? Just buy two of them. Priced around the £250-£300 mark (ie between the Boss DD-500 and Strymon/Eventide), and you're away. It's a rack, on your pedalboard.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @digitalscream Abolutely agree with you. Thre's no reason why it couldn't be done. The astonishing acceleration of what can be done with a DSP these days means it really shouldn't be difficult or expensive. It's not even the DSP that would take the room, they're mostly tiny. It's all the connectors and display gubbins that dictate the size.

• @digitalscream Abolutely agree with you. Thre's no reason why it couldn't be done. The astonishing acceleration of what can be done with a DSP these days means it really shouldn't be difficult or expensive. It's not even the DSP that would take the room, they're mostly tiny. It's all the connectors and display gubbins that dictate the size.

Exactly, but with something like this...you don't need even a display or controls other than something to give an indication of life. Control it via a phone, tablet or PC - critically, not via an app but via a (snazzy, interactive) web interface. That way, you can't get fucked over by mobile device manufacturers' planned obsolescence.
    <space for hire>
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    edited September 2016
    I'm in. Where do I sign up?  ;)
  • I'm in. Where do I sign up?  ;)
    Good question. How much do you know about programming DSP?

I'm actually seriously thinking about this. Hell, could do it with an appropriate add-on board for a Raspberry Pi 3 - 1GB RAM, quad core 1.2GHz ARM CPU...that's a lot of processing power.
    <space for hire>
  • Worth adding the Chase Bliss pedals to the list? They use a modified version of the Empress adaptor but they can be made to work with midi...
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom