Strat alt wiring options

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27020
I have a Strat and Tele that I adore very much. I never use the Strat's middle pickup but the middle Tele position is basically perfection. 

What are the cleanest options to mod the strat to get neck & bridge sound? I can think of either a superswitch, or a push/push pot to add neck or bridge to anything else in parallel. Is there anything else? I guess I could swap to a 3-way and put the middle pickup on a push/push pot and/or blender like the Brent Mason Tele wiring. 

Does anyone have any thoughts? 

[also I'm running a book on who will be the first to say "just play your Tele"...?]
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28288
    There might be a Megaswitch that does that, otherwise a Super switch definitely will - I assume you want to keep the other 4 selections the same? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28288
    edited February 28
    You can't have hum cancelling in 2, 3, and 4 without moving the middle to the neck, and putting some sort of splittable humbucker in the middle. If that matters. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2529
    edited February 28
    There is a way to make the 2nd tone pot a blend pot, so you can blend the neck and bridge. Think it was a simple bridging wire on the switch. 

EDIT: Found it...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27020
    Sporky said:
    There might be a Megaswitch that does that, otherwise a Super switch definitely will - I assume you want to keep the other 4 selections the same? 
    Yeah I think so? Honestly it's different pickups so I might not even stick with it, but I like the idea and it's easily reversed so no harm trying right?

I do need to check if a superswitch will actually fit as it's a Danocaster so I assume it's very vintage - whatever's under there I'm not routing it! 

I don't particularly care about noise cancelling - it's a Strat after all :) 
    @lovestrat74 Ta - that's a helpful vid. I think I'd prefer a switch over a blender though, simply so I can go from neck+bridge to either bridge or neck in a single 1-beat movement during a song, but I'll think about it more
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9635
    Blend pot FTW.
    I also realise I can test this on my other bitsa strat first then transpose it across once I work out what switching i like;

It doesn't help that I want this for Steve Cropper-isms and all the youtube videos of similar mods play boring rock stuff that mean you can't always hear the pickups properly. 
    This is a good vid of the sort of sound, which would work nicely. But I don't want to do it this way

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    My main Strat has a Kinman K9 harness, which implements the Blend option - that sound is very good (neck + bridge pickups).

However, I think what you want is the Gilmour mod: https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/pages/gilmour-strat-wiring-mod

R.
    My main Strat has a Kinman K9 harness, which implements the Blend option - that sound is very good (neck + bridge pickups).

However, I think what you want is the Gilmour mod: https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/pages/gilmour-strat-wiring-mod

R.
    Yeah potentially, though I’d use a push-pish rather than mini switch. I’m just not certain if that would feel clunkier in use compared to a super switch 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72367
    Schaller Megaswitch E, if you never use the middle pickup. It will definitely fit if a CRL does.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Pretty easy with a superswitch, I found it quite lacklustre with a single coil bridge even with a baseplate compared to a Tele. It's a similar sound but not quite right IMHO. It founds much better to me if the bridge pickup is a humbucker.
    I've got one SSS guitar with an S1 switch that swaps neck and middle for neck and bridge and middle for all three. I never use the latter and only occasionally the neck and bridge unless I've got some modulation going. 
    I only really use middle by itself for slide, where it works well.
  • Unhelpful, I know, so apologies in advance, but what's this "never use the middle pickup" nonsense? :-) It's the best one! (Unless your name is Blackmore....) 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    The G&L S-500 is kind of an extension of the "Gilmour Mod" wiring- you get a master "normal" tone control that rolls off treble, and a passive bass cut control too:

mainphp

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    There is a way to make the 2nd tone pot a blend pot, so you can blend the neck and bridge. Think it was a simple bridging wire on the switch. 

EDIT: Found it...

That would be my suggestion - Fender CS use it on many guitars these days
    Maybe the blend thing is worth a try since I know I have a couple of no-load/blender pots in the parts box! 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    Maybe the blend thing is worth a try since I know I have a couple of no-load/blender pots in the parts box! 

I'm not sure you need them. I once rewired a Squier Strat with a blender pot using all the same wiring and pots that were already there. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2804
    I’d never thought of that mod the guy does in the video you posted.  Tempted to adapt all my Strats like that now!  Having said that the 4 position is nice for playing at home but he’s also right about it not being much use with a band, I never use it in that context either.
    Given the 4-way Tele switch exists, I’m actually slightly surprised no one makes a 6-way Strat switch, to let you add B+N at the final position beyond neck only. 
    thebreeze said:
    I’d never thought of that mod the guy does in the video you posted.  Tempted to adapt all my Strats like that now!  Having said that the 4 position is nice for playing at home but he’s also right about it not being much use with a band, I never use it in that context either.
    IIRC the Albert Hammond Jr Strat is wired like this (or v similarly) because he’s a 90% middle-position guy