Strat alt wiring options

What's Hot

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5164
    Given the 4-way Tele switch exists, I’m actually slightly surprised no one makes a 6-way Strat switch, to let you add B+N at the final position beyond neck only. 

There's also the Freeway 10-way switch to consider. Gives you neck and bridge in series or in parallel and some other options without losing and of the stuff you already have:

wiring diagram for free way switch 5b5

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27200
    Crikey that's mad! Quite impressive but far too complicated for me on stage I think...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Given the 4-way Tele switch exists, I’m actually slightly surprised no one makes a 6-way Strat switch, to let you add B+N at the final position beyond neck only. 

There's also the Freeway 10-way switch to consider. Gives you neck and bridge in series or in parallel and some other options without losing and of the stuff you already have:

wiring diagram for free way switch 5b5
    My strat has the S1 switch that does these series/parallel combos but I've found the multitude of pickup combos just gets in the way *of playing and don't really add anything significant that I can't get from the standard strat 5 pickup combos.  The only thing I like from it is the neck and bridge in tandem.  YMMV.    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5164
    Crikey that's mad! Quite impressive but far too complicated for me on stage I think...

It does seem like it would be a bit like driving a truck.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Whoever invented that 10 combo configuration must have been like "well it can be done, therefore it must be done.  Something new to add to a strat!".  
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1521
    The first thing I would do is do a zero-hour test to see if I liked the sound: swap middle and neck pickups, switch to position 2 and have a play. Then if you like it you can start thinking about a 'neck add' push-pull, a blender pot or a superswitch. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1146
    edited February 28
    Yorkie said:
    The first thing I would do is do a zero-hour test to see if I liked the sound: swap middle and neck pickups, switch to position 2 and have a play. Then if you like it you can start thinking about a 'neck add' push-pull, a blender pot or a superswitch. 
    I'd be tempted to just leave it that way and to hell with blender pots and extra switches!    If you don't care about losing bridge+mid position:  

Position 1 = bridge
    Position 2 = neck and bridge
    Position 3 = neck
    Position 4 = neck and mid
    Position 5 = mid

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    edited February 28
    Yorkie said:
    (Edit - doh, no, I was thinking of swapping pickups to get RWRP or not in the two positions.) Yes, you can just swap the wires at the switch to try that.

Really, if you never use the middle pickup at all, just get the Megaswitch E - it will do exactly what you want with no other complications.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Yorkie said:
    Easier said than done if the loom has been made properly, since the middle pickup wires aren't long enough to move it to the neck position. You *can* unsolder them at the pickup eyelets and swap there, but that carries a significant risk of damaging the pickups, if you're unlucky - usually fixable, but not something for the inexperienced really.

Really, if you never use the middle pickup at all, just get the Megaswitch E - it will do exactly what you want with no other complications.
    Yeah this is where I'm likely headed. II'l try one of the quicker fixes first but if I like the sound then it's a no brainer imo. 

Then my other Strat is getting Brent Mason-ed I think. At least one firebird pickup will be involved... 
    I've got bridge and neck enabled on both my strats. It came as standard issue with the Ibanez, and once I knew I liked the sound I added push-pulls to the Fender. 
    Good luck,
    Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14569
    I am of an age where I have tried a fair number of the alternative Stratocaster wiring concepts. Usually, I go with the simple conventional five-way switch. Sometimes, I add the Gilmour Mod neck pickup switch. Sometimes, I employ a Superswitch so that position 3 is neck and bridge combined in parallel rather than middle pickup by itself.

How the Neck + Bridge selection sounds depends on which pickups are involved. 2 x vintage style Stratocaster single coils can be lacklustre. Duncan APS-1N + Twangbanger never quite lives up to expectations. DiMarzio Chopper + Fast Track 1 is altogether more interesting.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    Yeah the Megaswitch is probably the easiest, least invasive way. Just bear in mind, it won't sound exactly the way it does on a Tele, it's quite a bit more "bland" on a Strat, for want of a better word
    Dave_Mc said:
    Yeah the Megaswitch is probably the easiest, least invasive way. Just bear in mind, it won't sound exactly the way it does on a Tele, it's quite a bit more "bland" on a Strat, for want of a better word
    Yep that’s understood. Not expecting it to be identical but if it’s at least useable that’d be brill. 
    edited February 28
    Given the 4-way Tele switch exists, I’m actually slightly surprised no one makes a 6-way Strat switch, to let you add B+N at the final position beyond neck only. 
    They do. https://www.premierguitar.com/diy/mod-garage/mod-garage-breakthrough-electroswitchs-new-6-way-strat-switch ; Problem is it's longer so you have to mod the scratchplate slightly...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 28
    Dave_Mc said:
    Yep that’s understood. Not expecting it to be identical but if it’s at least useable that’d be brill. 
    No worries, just making sure! It should be at worst usable, I would guess.

Just noticed the Freeway was mentioned- I agree with the assessment that not all of the extra sounds are good. And it's a bit of a pain to wire, at least compared to a standard 5-way. You could argue it's less faff than a bunch of push-pulls, though- so if you do like all of the extra sounds and want it to be as seamless as possible, it's worth considering.

But basically if you know you never use the middle pickup alone, as @ICBM rightly said the Schaller Megaswitch is the easiest. I just don't like it because I do like the middle position alone!
    When I was researching alternative switching options I read that the different superswitches had durability issues. So in the end I went the push-pull way, adding series switching too. Ironically, series is the one setting that hasn’t yet made it into one of my recordings :lol: 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72574

How the Neck + Bridge selection sounds depends on which pickups are involved. 2 x vintage style Stratocaster single coils can be lacklustre. Duncan APS-1N + Twangbanger never quite lives up to expectations. DiMarzio Chopper + Fast Track 1 is altogether more interesting.
    That’s very useful to know - I have those pickups in my Aria... currently just with a standard 5-way switch.

Dave_Mc said:

But basically if you know you never use the middle pickup alone, as @ICBM rightly said the Schaller Megaswitch is the easiest. I just don't like it because I do like the middle position alone!
    Me too. The frustrating thing for me is that I would happily sacrifice the bridge/middle setting on a standard SSS Strat to get bridge/neck - but if you use a hotter bridge pickup, like a Tele bridge, then the bridge/middle starts to improve... there’s just no perfect Strat/Tele hybrid, it’s a circle that can’t be squared.

So I’ve ended up with a HSH PRS which can't do any of those sounds perfectly, but all of them well enough.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Mod given to me by David White works really well

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14569
    ICBM said:
    DiMarzio Chopper + Fast Track 1 is altogether more interesting.
    That’s very useful to know - I have those pickups in my Aria... currently just with a standard 5-way switch.
    I went the Schaller Megaswitch E route because the middle pickup on my guitar is the loathsome DiMarzio Cruiser Neck. (I dislike this pickup almost as much as you dislike the Duncan Vintage Rails.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:

But basically if you know you never use the middle pickup alone, as @ICBM rightly said the Schaller Megaswitch is the easiest. I just don't like it because I do like the middle position alone!
    Me too. The frustrating thing for me is that I would happily sacrifice the bridge/middle setting on a standard SSS Strat to get bridge/neck - but if you use a hotter bridge pickup, like a Tele bridge, then the bridge/middle starts to improve... there’s just no perfect Strat/Tele hybrid, it’s a circle that can’t be squared.

So I’ve ended up with a HSH PRS which can't do any of those sounds perfectly, but all of them well enough.
    I wouldn't really want to lose any of the standard 5 Strat tones for bridge + neck... to my ears neck + bridge on a Strat is less useful than any of those.

I agree with you about there being no perfect Tele/Strat hybrid, but funnily enough I prefer the bridge/middle on a Strat to a Tele bridge combined with a Strat middle!