Disney+ Shogun

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22958
    Philly_Q said:
    Dod someone mention stew? 
    They did in the Dave Myers Tribute thread.
    Isn't there a forum rule about carrying stew across threads?
    I don't know, but we must be very careful not to spill it.  Especially if it's still hot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15541
    Philly_Q said:
    Dod someone mention stew? 
    They did in the Dave Myers Tribute thread.
    Isn't there a forum rule about carrying stew across threads?
    I think it was more about not carrying beefs over from other threads, but I see no reason why the range of foodstuffs prohibited couldn't be wider.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Just watched the first 2 episodes, it's quite good, I like it…despite the human stew filth.

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3031
    edited March 7
    Episode 3 is outstanding. Drama of the highest quality… but you have to give it full attention 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3580
    robgilmo said:
    I like stew, Irish is my fave but also love beef moroccan stew with chipotle and green beans, cant be doing with chipotle from a jar though, it doesnt taste right.

Not sure what Samurai warriors has to do with the love of stew though?
    If they don't like you, into the pot ye go. 
    bbill335 said:
    i don't why but there is a radial blur effect on the edges of the screen that looks really naff and annoying. it's a shame coz the costumes, set design, etc. look fantastic but that blur is really distracting. 

also i've seen People Who Oughtta Know say that it is impressively accurate and avoids anachronism. except that they don't wipe their blades before sheathing. just gross bloodied steel going back into the tube.
    Big no no, I suspect. You're not even supposed to touch the blade of a katana for fear of the oils degrading it unnecessarily. 

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3499
    I started watching this last night, I was apprehensive because its not really my thing and I thought it might not keep me interested , I was wrong, its really really good.I will try and get episode 3 in this morning if I get time. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I’ve forgotten to watch this week’s episode. MrsTheWeary has lost interest which probably explains why there was no prompt. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    I’m up to episode 3 and it’s really very good. I’d prefer slightly less CGI - the big set piece near the end of this episode is a bit silly, and clearly all-CGI - but it doesn’t stop the real acted personal drama stuff being great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dr_NecessiterDr_Necessiter Frets: 303
    Greatape said:
    bbill335 said:
    i don't why but there is a radial blur effect on the edges of the screen that looks really naff and annoying. it's a shame coz the costumes, set design, etc. look fantastic but that blur is really distracting. 

also i've seen People Who Oughtta Know say that it is impressively accurate and avoids anachronism. except that they don't wipe their blades before sheathing. just gross bloodied steel going back into the tube.
    Big no no, I suspect. You're not even supposed to touch the blade of a katana for fear of the oils degrading it unnecessarily. 

I'm not an Iaidoka but have been a collector of antique weapons. I understand that many sword kata finish with the blade being flourished to shake off (imaginary) droplets of blood and other nasties. As @bbill335 says, a wipe over with a cloth after cutting flesh would in fact be essential as, if you don't, the residue ends up in your scabbard and is very difficult to clean out. 

Back in the day, samurai would routinely wipe their blades many times each day as Japan is a humid country and, obviously, moisture and steel don't go well together.

You are, however, correct in that touching a blade with the bare hand is disrespectful as body oils can cause rust and, before face masks became pretty much de rigueur in the far east, it was usual to hold tissue paper between the lips when examining a sword so that the breath didn't condense on the blade. 

I think there is perhaps a distinction to be drawn between the swords that samurai carried on a day to day basis and which were the tools of his trade and those which had some historic or artistic value and which were not in routine use and so were accorded greater respect in terms of the way they were handled.
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited March 17
    Probably not going to be a popular opinion, but I'm unsure of it, although a different view of it that it's a alternate valid interpretation of the book.

For example, Toranaga. He feels like he's worried, almost fearful, and way more reactive than in the book. It never felt that he was on the verge of losing control of events, options and contingencies rather than seeing his only opportunity was Blackthorne.

Also Blackthorne himself, and this may be more because of transference from chamberlain back to the book (I read the book first then saw the series) but Blackthorne felt more composed and level headed in the book.

That's not to say it's not a cracking watch, it's just that I feel the characterisation aren't quite true to the book.
    Greatape said:
    bbill335 said:

I'm not an Iaidoka but have been a collector of antique weapons. I understand that many sword kata finish with the blade being flourished to shake off (imaginary) droplets of blood and other nasties. As @bbill335 says, a wipe over with a cloth after cutting flesh would in fact be essential as, if you don't, the residue ends up in your scabbard and is very difficult to clean out. 

Back in the day, samurai would routinely wipe their blades many times each day as Japan is a humid country and, obviously, moisture and steel don't go well together.

You are, however, correct in that touching a blade with the bare hand is disrespectful as body oils can cause rust and, before face masks became pretty much de rigueur in the far east, it was usual to hold tissue paper between the lips when examining a sword so that the breath didn't condense on the blade. 

I think there is perhaps a distinction to be drawn between the swords that samurai carried on a day to day basis and which were the tools of his trade and those which had some historic or artistic value and which were not in routine use and so were accorded greater respect in terms of the way they were handled.
    Chiburi. The stylised flick to allegedly remove blood before performing noto (sheathing). 

Yep, I think you may be right. Although those ww2 era military issue swords seem to have a bit of a collector base. 

I've never actually owned a shinken or an iaito. Purely bokken (although mine are decent, Japanese hand made ones). I've learned a number of iaido kata as an adjunct to aikido and Daito Ryu. I do love watching good swordsmen such as Kuroda and Otake. It's a different class compared to 99% of people like me, particularly Kuroda (who died recently - RIP).
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Caught up with ep4 last night. Bit mid season admin, if it was the only episode you’d seen you might not get the fuss. I’m still distracted by the huge CGI vistas. I don’t really have an alternative as they aren’t going to recreate Osaka on a backlot or just have hemmed in video shots (and I’m sure CGI is used all over the place in it for less obvious reasons)but it’s definitely cartoony at times. But I’m still expecting to stick with it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Question to those in the know. In a battle/fight, would a katana sword get damaged? I would have thought that repeated metal to metal impacts would result in the cutting edge getting repeatedly damaged to the point it would be beyond repair?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11931
    Philly_Q said:
    Is there a lot of sword fighting?  If not I'll pass.
    no
    rsvmark said:
    Question to those in the know. In a battle/fight, would a katana sword get damaged? I would have thought that repeated metal to metal impacts would result in the cutting edge getting repeatedly damaged to the point it would be beyond repair?

I think there are different schools of thought. I was taught to rotate the sword so that you receive impact on the spine or side of the blade, which have different material properties to the slicing edge - but a typical technique is to take advantage of the downward momentum, to allow the opponent's sword to slide down yours and then counterstrike using that motion to bring your blade around in a rotation over your head to cut. Further, I was given to believe that it isn't fencing in the western sense. So less lightsaber action. Also, the cut is supposed to be a drawing action/slice rather than a hack. 

Have also read that actually, swords were the weapon of last resort, after bows, spears, etc. 

But it's probably better to have a chipped sword than to be dead.
  • 9 episodes in, I can safely say this is one of the best things I’ve ever seen on television… tonight’s episode was of such intensity.. I was totally transfixed. Mesmerising. One more to go. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11931
    9 episodes in, I can safely say this is one of the best things I’ve ever seen on television… tonight’s episode was of such intensity.. I was totally transfixed. Mesmerising. One more to go. 
    yes, I might watch that episode again
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Goddammit Mariko..Step away from the door! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2415
    Bloody hell, that was a roller-coaster of an episode!