Ed Sheeran Looper Pedals Out

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27064
    Look great. Currently use the RC505mk2 but will watch this very closely… wondering if it auto detects the tempo of the first loop like the Boss does, that is a key feature for me
    I'm sure it will do. 

I was wondering why they'd discontinued the Headrush Looperboard - this is obviously why. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1342
    edited March 1
    Can anyone one here do me the honour of posting that youtube video of someone doing the dude with an acoustic and a looper / Sheeran pastiche thing.
    Freaking hilarious.

"Hey...sexxxeee lay-deeeeee...."
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    timbuk02 said:
    Just a thought, but a £99 Ditto type in the range would be a good option for his younger fans. It might not be anything new tech-wise, but a good entry point for the kids.

Does feel like thats inevitable, given they named the small one Looper+. Next release Looper, less features, less cost...
    considering his albums are +, X, - , /    I imagine a looper- would fit
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    Based on the Andertons videos they seem great. They also suggested at a more budget version but that might be their wishful thinking and that lower end of the market seems pretty much saturated with loopers. 
    Headrush seem to be also rans in the world of digital modelling but a lot of praise for the feel of the pedals, the solid construction and the clarity of the menus. So, maybe some other interesting new products in the future. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I feel like Ed will know that single buttons loopers are always utterly pointless for anything but basic stuff in your bedroom and steer well clear. But we'll see.. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Every time I see clips of Ed on a stadium stage with a tiny guitar and a looper, whilst impressive, I always think it’d be so much better with an actual shot hot band. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    dindude said:
    Every time I see clips of Ed on a stadium stage with a tiny guitar and a looper, whilst impressive, I always think it’d be so much better with an actual shot hot band. 
    I hate looping. It's not clever and it basically means you will be listen to the same 4 chords for the next 4 minutes. Yes more shit gets added to the loop but it's still repetitive to my ears. 

I mixed an Ed SHeeran tribute last summer, it was a whole band and better for it. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    dindude said:
    I hate looping. It's not clever and it basically means you will be listen to the same 4 chords for the next 4 minutes. Yes more shit gets added to the loop but it's still repetitive to my ears. 

I mixed an Ed SHeeran tribute last summer, it was a whole band and better for it. 
    The obligatory 'ooh the guitarist owns a looper' song in any set is invariably a bit shite. But I've seen people use them better than that, pre loaded loops can be okay and I stood and watched Gwyn Ashton doing his guitar and drums duo thing and he would use a basic Boss looper for short sections, putting chords under fills in such a way that you would hardly notice but it filled out the sound. Bit like CGI in movies, the best stuff is always the stuff you aren't really aware of. 
    But for most of us it's a home tool for practice and ideas, so a £1200 or even £300 looper probably isn't necessary. 
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    Look great. Currently use the RC505mk2 but will watch this very closely… wondering if it auto detects the tempo of the first loop like the Boss does, that is a key feature for me
    I'm sure it will do. 

I was wondering why they'd discontinued the Headrush Looperboard - this is obviously why. 

That wasn't definitively answered (but was discussed) in the Anderton's videos but I'm also curious of this, and if it would also work on the smaller model. Color me intrigued, although no way am I in the market for a £1200 looper. If the little one could load and match to drum tracks, the entire package would be hard to beat. (pun intended)
  • dazzajl said:
    I will avoid anything with his name on it for the rest of my life!
    Wow. Did he steal your girlfriend or something? 
    We all knew about the affair. It was only @Musicman20 that wasn’t in the loop. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
    It surprises me that there’s a market that warrants a £1200 looper, however good it is. There must be, they aren’t stupid, it just surprises me. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • clarke_111clarke_111 Frets: 58
    TimmyO said:
    It surprises me that there’s a market that warrants a £1200 looper, however good it is. There must be, they aren’t stupid, it just surprises me. 
    It does seem a lot… especially when the top of the line (and very capable) Boss loopers (RC505mk2 or RC600 can be had for £500 or even lower. I’m struggling to see £700 difference. 

I use a looper as the brains of a wider music production set along with drum maschines, synths, bass, guitar etc and would certainly consider it if it did enough, even at that price. The looper is the hub in many respects. But the Boss loopers are very good and can’t see this being that much more capable. 

I also suspect there will soon be more like £1000. Still a lot though 
    TimmyO said:
    It’s more like a four track recorder than just another looper in some ways. You can load drum (or other) loops, add effects, mix, record and remix in post. I don’t think you can really use it to record structured songs as such but almost endless 4 bar loops so I guess people will see it as a creative tool. 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1842
    Top solo looper must be 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    dindude said:

The obligatory 'ooh the guitarist owns a looper' song in any set is invariably a bit shite. But I've seen people use them better than that, pre loaded loops can be okay and I stood and watched Gwyn Ashton doing his guitar and drums duo thing and he would use a basic Boss looper for short sections, putting chords under fills in such a way that you would hardly notice but it filled out the sound. Bit like CGI in movies, the best stuff is always the stuff you aren't really aware of. 

But for most of us it's a home tool for practice and ideas, so a £1200 or even £300 looper probably isn't necessary. 
    This is where a really good looper (which I assume the 1200 one is!) comes in because it lets you switch song sections from verse to chorus to middle8 etc at will, and keep loops saved to return to them later. 

Most average guitarists don't have a pedal that can do this (or don't have the ability to make it work), which is why you can end up the really boring 4-bar loop songs.

Brio said:
    Top solo looper must be 

I adore this and have since day one. She's phenomenal live, mostly playing solo with a looper and drum machines and all sorts. But Sheeran is just as good
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 667
    dindude said:
    I always said this after he started to get bigger. Pre-first album when he was playing smaller venues, shorter sets and it was great to see him using the looper and bring creative. The songs on the first album all kinda worked well in this way.

As his album production grew, I felt like he should have expanded to a full band - especially for the folk paying to see him. Majority of his fans won’t know wtf a looper pedal is or be in the slightest bit interested. I’m sure they would have loved to hear the songs played in full, and I’d be surprised if there weren’t quite a lot of disappointed folk who went to the gigs and all they got was Ed. 

Saying that, the silly fuckers keep paying to sell out his stadium shows, so what the hell do I know? 

Flip side is he obviously loves looping, so why should he give it up live? He’s definitely earned the right to keep doing that live.

I’d be a much happier punter though to see a show with 80% full band, and seeing him do a few looped songs in the middle of the set. 

Saying all that, this performance is absolutely class and shows what can be done with the simple looper. Skip to 4 mins for the start of the looping section

https://youtu.be/j8cADX87-2I?si=QPyLNic9gLBLLZrq

I mean.. maybe he can’t be arsed with the hassle of having multiple band mates either?! :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    Anyone with an iPad should check out loopy pro. It's phenomenal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 146
    I mean.. maybe he can’t be arsed with the hassle of having multiple band mates either?! :D 
    Or pay them. We used pay our bassist with dry meats.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom