EBay beware - cs Strat

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10226
    New eBay fees are 0.35% if final sale value. Before everyone dumps on the guy, if he clears £2,800 he’s losing cash.
    No they're 12.8%, plus 30p, plus 3% on anything over £5k. From April the 0.35% fee is added on top of this. They'd be coming off very well if the final value fee was 0.35%.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    chris78 said:

As has been pointed out, if you buy something, it’s yours and you can charge what you like, but let’s not pretend the guy won’t do very well off a guitar he’s owned for a whopping 3 weeks
    Assuming it sells at £2,999. It's listed as 'or offer'.

I really don't get the outrage at this - he may or may not be able to sell it for a profit, or at all. In the mean time, the original seller *did* sell it, for a price he was comfortable with. Where's the crime?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibe said:
    The Fretboard Gods have been offended by a potential profit based on a listing price for something that has yet to sell and will no doubt sell for much less than the top asking price on an eBay listing. 

We need a sacrifice to appease them! 

Bring forth the 'Chappers' 

Agreed. EBay is an absolute shit show these days. You have to list far higher than what you’re expecting to realistically take home and you’ll still get insulting offers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2493
    He could’ve always relisted it here  B)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    elstoof said:
    I guess a broader audience on eBay, plus automated payment system makes for an easier sale

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22890
    ICBM said:
    chris78 said:

As has been pointed out, if you buy something, it’s yours and you can charge what you like, but let’s not pretend the guy won’t do very well off a guitar he’s owned for a whopping 3 weeks

I really don't get the outrage at this - he may or may not be able to sell it for a profit, or at all. In the mean time, the original seller *did* sell it, for a price he was comfortable with. Where's the crime?
    How dare you be so reasonable?  We can't have pitchforks lying around gathering dust.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2199
    £2,999 is pretty ambitious in today's market, where it's nearly impossible to give stuff away. 

However, it doesn't hurt to start high and reduce if the offers don't flood in. 

Bit naughty if the the re-fret isn't mentioned though.  
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    stonevibe said:
    The Fretboard Gods have been offended by a potential profit based on a listing price for something that has yet to sell and will no doubt sell for much less than the top asking price on an eBay listing. 

We need a sacrifice to appease them! 

Bring forth the 'Chappers' 

Ian Elson will also suffice 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3459
    I still think he should have used his own photos, because I am nosy and want to see what kind of lighting solutions and flooring he has in his living room.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lawriejones1Lawriejones1 Frets: 137
    I hate bedroom dealers as much as the next person but this isn’t as egregious as I’ve seen it.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    FFS so what!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9316
    ICBM said:
    chris78 said:

The crime was the original listing, failing to mention the mods that the seller on here rightly mentioned when he sold it at £2150.
    Thats been corrected thanks to this thread so someone now knows what they’re buying. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    edited March 2
    Edit: can’t be arsed with it.
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 334
    I'm such a centrist, I read this thread and I'm like 'he bought the guitar, he can do what he want with it, but shouldn't conceal modifications, but probably just forgot and has updated it now, and it is a bit crappy to try make such a big profit on something you bought off the forum, but it's his and it's his call and if someone's willing to pay that fair enough, although the fees thing is a red herring as probably listed it on a 80% FVF offer like we all do'. 

I guess which is to say, I don't know what I think about it. 

RE: someone saying the seller should have relisted on here. When I moved on a guitar I bought on here, I listed on Ebay just because I needed a quick sale and things can be pretty slow here sometimes. After fees got back what I paid so was happy enough.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1293
    stonevibe said:
    elstoof said:
    I guess a broader audience on eBay, plus automated payment system makes for an easier sale
    Also from a buyers point of view if you can't quite afford it but want to own and play a CS strat for a while without spending a penny on it you can choose to pay with 0% 4 months credit from PayPal and sell the guitar for same money or even more towards the end of the 4 months period. Bit risky if it's something that doesn't sell too well but shouldn't be an issue with a keenly priced custom shop strat. 

I never saw the original, unedited listing, but is it just possible that not mentioning the modifications was a genuine oversight?  Most eBay sellers write very poor, uninformative listings so it wouldn't be unusual.

From my personal point of view, a stainless steel refret by @SteveRobinson would be a selling point, not a negative (although I'd have been happier with the original 9.5" radius).
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2863
    I know someone who messaged him on ebay and asked if it had any mods.

Was told it was full factory spec!

The end. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    Just to get this straight, are we allowed to buy a guitar on here and list it on here a few years later for more than we paid for it?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Just to get this straight, are we allowed to buy a guitar on here and list it on here a few years later for more than we paid for it?
    Only if you can back it up with independently audited inflation calculations and a schedule of reasonable maintenance and selling costs.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3459
    The original listing was last year, and it sat for months, it was then bought last month, could it be that the guy bought it, paid and had it posted , found out he didnt get on with it so is selling it on? That does happen, it could be priced to fund another guitar, that happens too.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.