Is it time for a new printer?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• CleckoClecko Frets: 296
    We print mostly B&W stuff and we use our printer infrequently. Having had loads of issues with HP inkjet printers (haven't used it for a month? Nothing can see it, so you'll have to hard reboot. Been a while since you used the colour ink? Well it's dried up, so no printing for you today.) we bought this Brother B&W laser printer about 6 months ago. Cannot fault it on any front. Perfect. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-HL-L2375DW-Wireless-Connected-Printing/dp/B0784DKXYY/ref=asc_df_B0784DKXYY/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311024248734&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2255650765376904085&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045997&hvtargid=pla-420077770762&mcid=df9ee1df9c6c33c4bc4ba58a3fbd2d8e&th=1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1095
    Yeah the one I'm getting is similar so hoping for a good return as well. 
    Picked up my new printer earlier today. Relatively easy and quick to setup though my PC took a while to detect it. But once I changed the open office printer settings to the Brother one we were in action. Print quality is pretty good, nice and clean.

Sometimes I print double sided so it does involve having to refeed the paper tray, first two times I did it I didn't turn it the right way, I think I have to turn the side I just printed upside down and put in there, I got it right on the 3rd time I think.

But overall quite impressed. There's a funny smell coming from it though....
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19018
    If you bought the BROTHER EcoPro HLL2400DWE then you shouldn't need to turn the paper over manually to do double sided, the printer should handle that for you. Just make sure that you have 2 sided printing enabled in the print dialogue box.
    Any initial smell should disappear soon, but it might well be prudent to check that you removed all the thin adhesive plastic tape that is used in assembling the printer. It is usually blue & is everywhere  ;)
    There probably is a setting somewhere but I was just impatient and it seemed easier to just flip the page and re-feed it into the tray. It's only the odd occasion I need to print on both sides anyway so it saves it as a default I may forget to uncheck the box etc.

And yep all the sticky tape has been removed, at least I hope anyway!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24449
    Lasers do smell a little.  The high voltages on the corona wire tends to create ozone which has a distinct, but not offensive, smell.  Early big lasers had ozone filters that needed replacing every so often.  I don't know about modern small lasers though.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    edited March 9
    Yeah and something I wasn’t expecting but it’s working nicely, done quite a few prints this week.

On a separate note, I plan to sell the b/w and colour inkjet cartridges for my old deceased printer, as I’d keep stocked up on supplies, but seeing I don’t  need them anymore I might as well sell. The colour one must be about a year old as it been lying around unused. Will it be alright to sell? Or will the time have dried up the ink? The b/w one is only a few weeks old so that will be fine.
    Printer is going well, just want to ask though, is it bad to keep turning it on and off daily? I only turn it on when I need to print a few pages which is like, once per day or once every 2-3 days. Does this use up more ink toner when running a cleaning cycle when turning on? What about the printhead wearing out? I don't want it to use up electricity being on all the time or even making any noise when I'm trying to sleep at night!
    ^ Lasers don't run a startup cleaning cycle in the same way that inkjets do as there isn't an actual physical print head to clean. Some will print a startup page as a default setting, but you can usually switch that 'feature' off.
    Most modern printers go into suspension/sleep/standby mode after a while to save energy, so leaving it on won't use very much power. Switching it off & on daily shouldn't cause issues, but if possible I'd be inclined to try & save up print jobs & then print them in one session. You would then only need to switch the printer on every few days or maybe once a week.
    No right or wrong answers, just try to figure out what works best for yourself.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Oh do they not? I thought I could hear some whirring noise when first starting it up but it might be running something else.

Yeah I only switch it on when I actually need to print anything, which is max 1 time per day so its not like I'm switching it on/off 3-4 times in the same day. Just don't want to wear out anything quicker or use more ink than I have to.
    Whirring noises will be system mechanism startup checks, alignment calibration, drum setting, toner levels, paper check/load & transport settings etc etc.  Lots of stuff going on  :)
    The trick is to get used to your printer's normal startup & running sounds, then be alert to anything that isn't normal.
    Here is a reasonable guide to how they work https://computer.howstuffworks.com/laser-printer.htm
    Wow very detailed, thanks.