Anyone know what this pickup is?

What's Hot
robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
edited March 3 in Guitar
It’s in the neck position of a guitar that looks like it was lovingly handmade! Bridge pickup is a 1980’s Schaller humbucker with hex pole pieces. 

Has a sticker with ‘MF-333’ printed on it but Google can’t help! It’s a kind of sealed unit - can’t see the inner gubbins at all! 

https://imgur.com/a/l8KSy4v

This is the guitar - it’s a little beauty!!

https://imgur.com/a/HxgPyIn

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3000
    I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that it is a humbucker.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    Big help, thanks! 

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited March 3
    I googled 'M F guitar pickups' -

Maybe? Or not..... :)

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18776
    Looks like someone didn't get the memo about covering pickups before doing any filing/dressing/grinding operations  ;)
    I can't help with the pickup ID, but the guitar has a very '80's Japan/Korean vibe, similar to Vantage, Kay, Maya etc.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    It looks like a generic Korean humbucker out of something like a Hohner G2T.

https://reverb.com/item/61965797-hohner-g2-professional-1986

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4925
    It’d be good to embed the image inline rather than links to click. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    ICBM said:
    generic Korean 
    My guess is that the pickup was removed from an early Höhner ST Metal. (The variant with the notoriously fragile Kahler-inspired vibrato.) Judging by one contemporary magazine review, this is the exact same humbucker to which ICBM referred - right down to the 3+1 mounting screw arrangement.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    edited March 4
    Thanks all! Will probably keep the Schaller ‘bucker in the bridge, but get something a bit ‘milder’ for the neck!

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    My money would be on early Kent Armstrong

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    My money would be on early Kent Armstrong

Funny you should say that because that was my first thought when viewing the pickup from the front. I have an old multi  tapped Kent Armstrong pickup which looks identical from the front but because of the multiple taps it has eight solder tags on the back.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3022
    It looks similar to the neck humbucket in my El Maya guitar from the early 80s. I can’t be sure though.

Is the pickup ring a standard size? The one in mine is a bit bigger than standard. 

I believe that similar pickups were fitted to brands like Bambu and possibly the Washburn wing series, which I believe also came out of the Cushin Gakki factory. I have tried to find out what they are before but with no real luck. Some have said Mighty Mite, DiMarzio (which I doubt) or Maxon. Nothing conclusive though.