Guitar Stores - Glasgow - Brokerage

What's Hot
HumboldtHumboldt Frets: 0
I'm planning on selling one of my older guitars to finance my recent obsession for cheap teles and, having no idea how to value such items, I'm looking for a guitar store who will have a better idea of what it's worth and will treat with me reasonably. It's not a straightforward situation where I simply look at recently sold models as my guitar ('75 Les Paul Pro Deluxe) was re-routed for Dimarzios, probably in the early '80s and certainly doesn't look as good as those "investment" guitars that you see. I've been using it regularly since buying it second hand in 1989 and you might say that it's a bit road worn.

So, has anyone ever used any of the main Glasgow stores to sell/trade?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DDtBDDtB Frets: 60
    GuitarGuitar is one option but suspect it's not really their kind of thing, so you might be better giving these guys a shout for yours...

https://www.theguitartradecentre.co.uk/

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    Personally I’d go to Strungout guitars first, they sell on commission and seem to know their stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    Though I’m based in Manchester, I love Glasgow - Strungout is definitely the right type of shop for that kind of thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Strung Out. They’ve got a couple of unmodified Deluxes in at the moment, but if anything variety is useful and may help yours sell - the DiMarzio mod is actually desirable to some people if it’s been done well, as it’s perfectly representative of a time which many of us are now nostalgic for.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HumboldtHumboldt Frets: 0
    Well, thanks everyone for the above. I've dropped Strungout a line to ask for their thoughts. Any other recommendations welcome.
  • JodyJamesJodyJames Frets: 36
    Wee Guitar Company on the south side looks a good bet, certainly compared to the big shops. Haven’t bought or sold with them but have been in a couple of times. Think he offers better than the big shops because, as a smaller shop, he likes to have a decent turnover of stock. 
  • DDtBDDtB Frets: 60
    Forgot about Strungout.  Great wee shop.
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    Humboldt said:
    I'm planning on selling one of my older guitars to finance my recent obsession for cheap teles...

:o 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10456
    edited March 4 tFB Trader
    I do Strung Out's  pickup rewind work and have always found them to be great to deal with   : -) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    I have a customer who have dealt with for many years who lives in Glasgow - I know he regularly uses Strung Out Guitars  and believe he is happy with their service 

Have seen a store called The Guitar Trade Centre at a few shows - Know little about them but always have nice guitars for sale 
    Thanks for all the additional comments. I'm now in correspondence with Strung Out and will arrange to take the guitar to them for a chat.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    I sold a relatively expensive guitar via Strung Out a few years ago.

They were very professional, sold it with no hassles and I was very happy with the end result. My only slight complaint was that IMO they were a little bit picky about the condition of the guitar ---I ended up paying to have a small amount of tech work on it that I personally didn't think was strictly necessary. 

That said, I still took home more cash than I was prepared to for a private sale, and tbh whilst it was slightly annoying at the time I guess it was also reassuring that they were very picky about what they were selling. 
    Thanks. I'm going in to have a chat with them as I have other guitars which I think they will be interested in (varying degrees of condition) so I'll see how the first one goes before making any decisions.
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    Jim Rankin at Guitar Trade Centre is gaining a high profile selling all sorts of high end / vintage / modded gear. He had a huge network of contacts and often sells to USA as they get a tax break for bringing  back USA made goods.
    Also David at Wee Guitar Company and Strung Out as previously mentioned.
    But GTC has a far higher and wider profile and has a very slick posting and packing service.
    David  from WGC will not post, so you are reliant on foot traffic.
    Strung Out I’m not familiar with their commission sale and advertising power and posting but most times I’ve been in the shop is very quiet but they do seem to have a decent website.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    Jim Ramsay (Guitar Trade Centre) has sold loads of high end guitars for me. Top man, very knowledgeable, always been really straightforward to deal with from my point of view. And as above, he definitely has a wider reach than most in terms of customers, social media, worldwide options etc. Can’t really compare Strung Out and Wee Guitar Company to be honest, nothing against them but just not the same thing at all.

https://www.theguitartradecentre.co.uk/consignmentsales

And no, I am not Jim’s Mum =) =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7247
    I'm glad I saw this thread.  I've looked down at the area where the Guitar Trade Centre is as I've been passing on the M74 wondering what businesses had all moved into those units after they were all renovated.  I've also been at the Halfords on and the Crown Trade Decorating Centre at the other side without having a clue what was all in behind it.  I'm glad I checked it out on Google Maps, because it's on my side of Glasgow and the next time I need new tyres on the car I might take it to Halfords then walk around to "Peaches Wax Bar" to get my eyebrows and other areas waxed, then get my eyelashes re-done at "Lotus Lashes", and then have a look at some guitars  :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The Guitar Trade Centre looks promising (they certainly have a lot of followers on facebook). The link that @CloudNine provided states that, rather than work to an agreed brokerage commission, they just agree a reserve price with you and they take anything above that. No problem with that, per se, but I'd cry if I saw a £3k guitar advertised the next day at £4.5k. But I'm sure that they work within reasonable margins and certainly worth a visit. It's also a lot easier for me to drive to.
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2366
    BillDL said:
     then walk around to "Peaches Wax Bar" to get my eyebrows and other areas waxed, then get my eyelashes re-done at "Lotus Lashes", and then have a look at some guitars  :)
    Suits you Sir!

Next time I am down in Glasgow, I'll have a look at some of these places (guitar wise...).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JR-GibboManJR-GibboMan Frets: 59
    The Guitar Trade Centre is THE place to go to for consignment Sales..I own it and here's why..
    We have a large showroom, a large social media reach..we offer part ex, finance, worldwide shipping, we post on Facebook, Reverb, ebay, gumtree, instagram and attend the UK wide Guitar shows.
    Most shops in Glasgow rely on footfall and don't do half of that stuff.
    We have a proven track record of selling guitars on consignment very successfully..if you want the best chance of your guitar selling then come in and see us and we will make it happen.
    If you are recommending anywhere else in Glasgow then you probably haven't done the research on the service the other places are offering you or did a comparison on "reach".
    As mentioned The Wee Guitar company don't take Trade ins or offer postage or finance.. Strungout don't do ebay reverb, marketplace, gumtree, Guitar shows or finance.
    GuitarGuitar don't do consignment Sales and neither do Merchant City Music.
    TGTC offer a 5 star selling service with EVERY platform used, finance, part exchange AND worldwide shipping.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 112
    Strung Out aren't geared for off-site sales / shipping. I wanted to buy a guitar from them this week, I'm in Nottingham, and when I emailed asking if it was still available they responded asking me to buy a second hand case, arrange shipping and provide written agreement that I take full responsibility for the guitar once it had left their shop. I didn't go ahead with the purchase.

I pointed out that if you're advertising online then you really should be geared up for shipping.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom