Replacing a Syncro-Sonic bridge on a Gretsch White Falcon

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
edited March 4 in Guitar
Dear clever people

I picked up this 55 Vintage Select White Falcon as part of a deal the other week. The intention was to move it on, as I tend to with Falcons, but this is just lovely. I love everything about it but the damn bridge, which is is a lovely piece of art, but gets in the way.

Any Gretsch aficionados recommend a bridge that would drop straight on?

Thanks very much in advance!

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27004
    You can't beat a Compton on a Gretsch imo. I'm sure they can advise on spacing - worst case scenario is you'd need a new bridge base as well, but those aren't particularly expensive. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7874
    Compton all the way. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2198
    Lovely Falcon - I had one of these and agree the 'cheese grater' bridge is a bit annoying.  
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Thanks chaps - normally something that was irritating me would mean that the guitar would be moved on, but it really is worth it.
    Call me Dave.
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Also have a look at Tru Arc bridges.  Seems to be endless debates between these and Comptons on various forums which IMHO means they are c similar.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18776
    Welcome back from the 'Phantom Zone'  ;)
    Thank you. I've been 'back' since January 16th, so it's nice to know that I've been terribly missed. =)
    Call me Dave.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    chris45 said:
    Also have a look at Tru Arc bridges.  Seems to be endless debates between these and Comptons on various forums which IMHO means they are c similar.
    Wars have been fought between the Comptonites and the TruArc Serpentypes over the best aftermarket bridges for Gretsches. Much blood has been spilled and there’s no sign of any agreement in our lifetimes. 

I would say this if it wasn’t just between us…… but I’ve had both  :o

And they’re both brilliant options. The biggest problem, especially with Compton was always deciding which material to go with. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18776
    DB1 said:
    Thank you. I've been 'back' since January 16th, so it's nice to know that I've been terribly missed.
    I missed the announcement that you were back. Only saw the one saying you were on a voluntary break 
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/7269/admin-mod-interventions/p28

DB1 said:
    Thank you. I've been 'back' since January 16th, so it's nice to know that I've been terribly missed.
    I missed the announcement that you were back. Only saw the one saying you were on a voluntary break 
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/7269/admin-mod-interventions/p28

There wasn't one. I'm truly insignificant. :)
    Call me Dave.
    dazzajl said:
    chris45 said:
    Wars have been fought between the Comptonites and the TruArc Serpentypes over the best aftermarket bridges for Gretsches. Much blood has been spilled and there’s no sign of any agreement in our lifetimes. 

And they’re both brilliant options. The biggest problem, especially with Compton was always deciding which material to go with. 
    I'm veering towards the more bluesy/jazzy sound if possible, rather than 'twangy'.

Call me Dave.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    DB1 said:
    dazzajl said:
    chris45 said:

I'm veering towards the more bluesy/jazzy sound if possible, rather than 'twangy'.

Brass for win I’d say. 
    Brass and s also good, and matches the other hardware.  Get chambered if you can
    Thanks again chaps.
    Call me Dave.
    Always a pleasure sir!