You dont need a truss rod when....

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3454
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    Clearly you don't but I think I'd be shattered playing that all night... a proper pane!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2471
    Sounds better clean than dirty
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 685
    Would sound great through a nice transparent overdrive pushing some glass bottles !
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22837
    You don't a truss rod but you might need a truss... some kind of surgical support, anyway.

Weight: 12.5lbs-14.5lbs

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2997
    edited March 6
    There is no way in hell that that guitar is made out of ''regular'' glass - it wouldn't be strong enough or rigid enough to support it's own weight never mind the tension across the strings especially if played standing up and supported by a strap, it's either a laminated glass - as used in vehicles, or some form of borosilicate -  AKA Pyrex which is actually a brand name and not an actual type of glass,  Either way, I don't think that even @HarrySeven would want one in his collection of abused monstrosities.   One chip, and it's not the finish you're worrying about, or even cutting yourself on it, rather the structural integrity of the entire guitar, not to mention the potential for the instrument to shatter/explode without warning - and as somebody who collects glass this happens a hell of a lot more often than people think even with laminated glass and borosilicate glass especially if their are temperature changes or the glass hasn't been tempered/cooled/destressed properly just Google ''outdoor glass top table'' in the news with google.

Edit to add:

Notice the stress test video on their FAQ page has been set to private, and they claim that the now unviewable set to private video that supposedly proves that glass is a better and stronger material than wood for making guitar necks out of, and while you're at the FAQ page you really need to read their warranty to see what it covers - funnily enough this can be summed up as ''anything not made out of glass for a period of 1 year'', as well as whether the guitar can have a refret done - spoiler alert here no it can't be refretted.  And then there is the fucking neck, just read their FAQ on how it has been attached to the body, and then ask yourself, if that's the case and if that method really does work, then why the hell are the pickup rings, jack and everything else, apparently glued in place, rather than screwed into epoxy filled holes in the glass.  Then there is all the crap about neck relief.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7228
    Clearly you saw right through their ploy from the outset.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676

I assume It's laminated glass

No guitar companies offer warranty for cosmetic damage caused by normal use, so I wouldn't expect to see that covered here

Just imagine how awesome it would look to smash this on stage or in a video if it did shatter.

I'm not sure how he attached the frets.  I assume epoxy again.  If so there will be ways to get them out without damaging the board, but a new neck may be easier and certainly less risky.

It's an interesting effort to me, but will be overly heavy for most.  However, some aluminium guitars get close to that weight and still sell well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7006
    edited March 6
    I remember Ampeg made a Plexiglass guitar around the 60s/70s, albeit with a wooden neck.  I assume this is a similar concept.

The Apollo Premier ‘glass’ guitar looks heavy.  Hopefully too heavy for Pete Townshend to lift over his head.
    image.jpeg 114.4K
    Weird, he had a load of build videos on YouTube a few years ago but they’ve all been removed from his channel. Anyway, they’re glass, the necks are epoxy laminated sheets, quite thick if I remember correctly. The bodies are the same sheets but precut from templates to provide cavities etc. He basically grinds the neck out with an angle grinder before sanding smooth which isn’t actually all that unusual in glass production. What I found interesting was he had no prior traditional guitar building experience before deciding to start building from glass. It was all documented for his Crimson Guitars Guitar Build Off competition entry iirc
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    Retired Global Product Manager for one of the world's largest glass manufacturers here
    There is no way in hell that that guitar is made out of ''regular'' glass - it wouldn't be strong enough or rigid enough to support it's own weight never mind the tension across the strings especially if played standing up and supported by a strap, it's either a laminated glass - as used in vehicles, or some form of borosilicate

Bollocks

Even without lamination or toughening (thermal or chemical) glass of that sort of thickness won't be troubled by at set of strings.

I used to give talks about Automotive Glass where I would finish by standing on curved piece of, admittedly, thermally toughened glass - but that was only 3.15mm thick.

Lamination isn't used to increase strength, it is employed to maintain structure in the event of breakage and preventing objects from penetrating (or occupant retention in vehicles).  Borosilicate is used to reduce breakage at high temperatures (it is actually mechanically weaker than regular toughened glass).

Weight will be the real issue.  Glass has a density of 2,500 kgm-3.  That's roughly three times the density of wood?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 230
    Why on earth would anyone buy a glass guitar, especially north of 12k, as displayed proudly on his website?
    Plenty of guitars, and many other products, are made and bought without the intention of being used. It’s probably safe to assume these aren’t aimed at the gigging musician
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7228
    steveh said:
    Why on earth would anyone buy a glass guitar ......?
    To make a spectacle of himself?  :)
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    Cols said:
    I remember Ampeg made a Plexiglass guitar around the 60s/70s, albeit with a wooden neck.  I assume this is a similar concept.
    I remember Nile Rodgers using a Strat with a perspex body in the late 70s or early 80s too.

There were all-perspex (including the neck) guitars in the 90s or early 2000s under a few different brand names - the most common design was a sort of pseudo-Jazzmaster with Strat pickups.

They were heavy, toneless and no thought had been given to where the wiring channels were - they just did the same as on wooden bodies - so there were ugly opaque tunnels across parts of the body… which seems to be quite a common feature on this sort of thing. (Unlike the Ampeg/Dan Armstrong ones where it’s all neatly hidden by the pickguard.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    ICBM said:
    Cols said:
    I remember Nile Rodgers using a Strat with a perspex body in the late 70s or early 80s too.

There were all-perspex (including the neck) guitars in the 90s or early 2000s under a few different brand names - the most common design was a sort of pseudo-Jazzmaster with Strat pickups.

They were heavy, toneless and no thought had been given to where the wiring channels were - they just did the same as on wooden bodies - so there were ugly opaque tunnels across parts of the body… which seems to be quite a common feature on this sort of thing. (Unlike the Ampeg/Dan Armstrong ones where it’s all neatly hidden by the pickguard.)
    I had a 'Shaftesbury' branded one in the 80s which had a regular neck

I seem to remember the pickups being different on mine.  Not a nice guitar and very heavy.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11700
    elstoof said:
    It’s probably safe to assume these aren’t aimed at the gigging musician
    FTFY.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 252
    I hope to see a Cleartone conversion of this...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    Cols said:

The Apollo Premier ‘glass’ guitar looks heavy.  Hopefully too heavy for Pete Townshend to lift over his head.
    I have one of these and can tell you that they weigh about 9-10lbs, but they do sound great.  I have 4 or 5 pickups that I can drop into mine for totally different tones.
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    As ICBM said, very untidy look re wiring, the DA and DA copies are much nicer aesthetically, but they do not have a glass neck.
    would appeal only to a tiny, tiny proportion of players and possibly end up just being displayed as a conversation piece.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    I played in a band with a guy who had one of the Dan Armstrong ones back in the day.  We swapped guitars a couple of time and  I must admit I thought it was a gimmick - I can't remember what I thought about the playability but I didn't like the way it sounded.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”