NGD - Pro II Stratocaster in Dark Knight + String Gauge - I'm clearly getting old :-)

What's Hot
maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
edited March 28 in Guitar
https://i.imgur.com/pKHfwfv.jpg

I finally bought a new ( to me ) guitar on Monday after lots & lots of deliberation . . . Its the USA Pro II Stratocaster in Dark Night with a Maple Neck and its a joy play & hear . . . No amount of photograph's seem to catch exactly what I see with my own eyes, but the colour is awesome . .  It belonged to a friend of mine, but he'd hardly touched in the months that he'd owned it . . . 

It needed a mini setup & tune plus I also had to adjust the spring tension to get the Tremolo to sit as I like it to, but that took 10 minutes at best. Intonation was pretty much spot on and after a quick Fast Fret refresh of the string I switched on my Amp and had a play . . . 

I absolutely love it, but it wasn't until then that I actually figured out that it had 9's loaded rather than my personal preference which would be 10's  . . . I rang my friend, the former owner, and he confirmed that they were indeed 9's and that 9's were his favourite.
I honestly  thought that 9's were too skinny until that moment, these are just divine, easier to bend , plus no real loss of tone  . . . It a complete revelation for me and I've ordered 3 x Set of Ernie Ball's finest . . . 
Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    yes, I had the same revelation several years ago.  9's work for everything and I don't notice much loss in feel or tone or anything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 296
    I’ve just sold my pro ii for a custom shop but I must admit I’m missing it. If I could pick any fault (and they are minor) I found the pups slightly weak, didn’t think much of the push/pull function and think it’s a bit stingy of fender not putting locking tuners on it. The neck though, absolutely superb!! 
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    ditchboy said:
    I’ve just sold my pro ii for a custom shop but I must admit I’m missing it. If I could pick any fault (and they are minor) I found the pups slightly weak, didn’t think much of the push/pull function and think it’s a bit stingy of fender not putting locking tuners on it. The neck though, absolutely superb!! 
    I'm ok with the pickups, in fact, I quite like them really. I play mostly rhythm and with my basic setup I'm hearing very Stratty tones which is exactly what I want . . . I totally agree though with regards the Tuners, even though they are staggered, they should have been locking tuners . . . The Push Push Tone Knob is a bit duff . .  It works and it sounds great but the mechanism on mine is quite slow . . . perhaps it will loosen up in time . . . Its the Fender Version of the famous Gilmour Mod . . The neck is a joy though, no question  . . . super smooth finish . .  Great guitar, definitely loving it . .  Great build quality too . .   
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 720
    Always laughed at 9.5 strings, thinking it was a gimmick. But have to say, on a strat, I really enjoyed them - best of both worlds 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 296
    maw4neu said:
    ditchboy said:
    I'm ok with the pickups, in fact, I quite like them really. I play mostly rhythm and with my basic setup I'm hearing very Stratty tones which is exactly what I want . . . I totally agree though with regards the Tuners, even though they are staggered, they should have been locking tuners . . . The Push Push Tone Knob is a bit duff . .  It works and it sounds great but the mechanism on mine is quite slow . . . perhaps it will loosen up in time . . . It’s the Fender Version of the famous Gilmour Mod . . The neck is a joy though, no question  . . . super smooth finish . .  Great guitar, definitely loving it . .  Great build quality too . .   
    If I ever feel the need to own two strats. I’ll buy another. Olympic white with a rw neck, change the pickguard for a mint green one, drop some fat 50s in and be happy. I do love that dark night colour though, very different. Very cool. Enjoy. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5040
    edited March 6
    Au contraire… I got a PRS recently (having not had one for several years) and could tell instantly that the strings were 9s, they just felt too sloppy to me. After a couple of weeks I changed them for 10s, much better! (Imho.)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3623
    Yep, 9's on a Fender  feel right to me. 10's on a Gibson though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ditchboy said:

If I ever feel the need to own two strats. I’ll buy another. Olympic white with a rw neck, change the pickguard for a mint green one, drop some fat 50s in and be happy. I do love that dark night colour though, very different. Very cool. Enjoy. 
    Great choice . . . I may at some point try a Seymour Duncan SSL-1 pickup in the neck position as I've had one in a Stratocaster before and loved it, so much so, I currently have an SSL-1 in the Neck Position of my Telecaster . . . 

• Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    9.5s for Strats… the extra meat on the wound strings ( only 2 thou of an inch) makes them feel much closer to a .046. And the first two being .0095 and .0115 mean there is only 5/ten thou of an inch more the a 9 so very close to 9s and nearer 10s on the bass side but they are Not 9-46 ( which I don’t like).
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    Always 9s on Strats to me. Gibsons virtually always 10s. Teles I can go for either depending on what I'm doing with it
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mankytommankytom Frets: 227
    Neil said:
    Yep, 9's on a Fender  feel right to me. 10's on a Gibson though. 
    This… 
    I may try some 9.5's . . . hmmmm . . . . do Ernie Ball do them . . ???  . . . . I'd better check :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited March 7
    maw4neu said: . I totally agree though with regards the Tuners, even though they are staggered, they should have been locking tuners . . . 
    I have a set of Fender locking tuners which are surplus to requirements if you’re interested? Looking for £40 delivered, happy to provide pics. They are staggered height, look just like the stock ones except they have the thumbwheel thingy on the back.

I fitted them to my American Pro ii Strat for a little while last year but decided I prefer Kluson split post ones on Fenders generally, so the lockers have had very little use and I still have all the packaging.
    I have a set of Fender locking tuners which are surplus to requirements if you’re interested? Looking for £40 delivered, happy to provide pics. They are staggered height, look just like the stock ones except they have the thumbwheel thingy on the back.

I fitted them to my American Pro ii Strat for a little while last year but decided I prefer Kluson split post ones on Fenders generally, so the lockers have had very little use and I still have all the packaging.

PM'd

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    Replied
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I'm in the process of dropping down a guage. I've used 10s forever on a Fender scale and 11s on Gibson and had tried upping the Strats to 10.5 which were great, but a fairly trivial issue with the fingertip of my (main bending) ring finger is seeing me going to 9.5 with 9s very much on the cards.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Always 9.5 on Strats and PRS's with 10's on Gibson and Tele's, just seem to suit me
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10431
    edited March 8 tFB Trader
    My own preference is for 9-46 on my Fenders 10-46 on my Gibsons and 10-52 on any guitar I play rockabilly on. For 7 strings I play heavier now and tune down. 
    PS ... I used 8-38 when I was a teenager ... go figure
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    You lot need to toughen up, 11s or flatwounds only. ;)
    I bought and fitted some Ernie Ball 9.5's . . . they are on my Stratocaster and my Manson Evo and they are brilliant . . . I was going to switch to 9's but I'm happy I tried these first . . .  I've still got 11's on my Jag-Stang and I played it for an hour or so last night and that was fine, but its a reduced Scale, so easier anyway . . . I do like the 9.5's though . . Impressed :-)