Pre-booked guitar seat on Ryanair – anything to be worried about?

What's Hot
My partner is flying with Ryanair and meant to bring one of my acoustics. We pre-booked an extra seat so in theory everything should be fine. The guitar is not in a flight case and I really wouldn't want to see it in the luggage compartment – it's a old-school plywood hardcase, I don't think it offers massive protection.

Anyone has good/bad experience flying with a guitar booked in? Are they ever arsy at the security? Can Ryanair come up with some "no, you need to check this in"?

Any experience appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    Thoughts and prayers. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • In their defence, I think it's one of the few airlines that never overbooks so at least I have confidence in there being a physical extra seat
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11691
    The only time I'd use either Ryanair or Wizz would be to escape a war zone.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24306
    I would definitely phone them up and ask the specific question about carrying a guitar on board, in its separate seat etc.  The trouble with budget airlines and their myriad complex rules designed to extract the most money from you is that the check-in agents - none of whom will work for the airline - can, and do interpret the rules differently.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get it confirmed in writing (email at least) that you can take the guitar on board.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Offset said:
    The only time I'd use either Ryanair or Wizz would be to escape a war zone.
    And even then I'd keep one eye on sky scanner for other options.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2467
    edited March 9
    You will need to arrange for them to fit a seat harness to strap the guitar in with in case of turbulence etc, you won’t be able to just plonk the guitar on the seat next to you. Most airlines let you book a discounted seat for instruments but not sure on Ryanair’s policy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    I have seen airline staff describe a guitar as a potential weapon, and then charge to put it in the hold. I’ve seen other airlines put it in a vertical locker for you, not the overhead. Whatever the airline says you might have to argue with airline staff.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    Every airline has the absolute right to take the item from you and put it in the hold. The alternative being you can not fly.

So be nice and polite all the way!
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Please be careful when playing the guitar during the flight. I witnessed an awful incident like this once when a lady stewardess borrowed a passenger's guitar to entertain a sick child who was on the flight and had a drip as part of her medical care.

The stewardess was quite a gifted player but she got so into it she started swinging the guitar around and didn't realise when she inadvertently knocked the drip out of the child's arm.  

Chaos ensued.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    13reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tweedphantweedphan Frets: 51
    And don’t call me Shirley !
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited March 9

where it lands ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4161
    tony99 said:
    Please be careful when playing the guitar during the flight. I witnessed an awful incident like this once when a lady stewardess borrowed a passenger's guitar to entertain a sick child who was on the flight and had a drip as part of her medical care.

The stewardess was quite a gifted player but she got so into it she started swinging the guitar around and didn't realise when she inadvertently knocked the drip out of the child's arm.  

Chaos ensued.
    That’s awesome , I’m imagining her swinging it round her body like Yngwie 
    unleash the fire 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Anything to be worried about?

Flying on a 737 MAX
  • elstoof said:
    You will need to arrange for them to fit a seat harness to strap the guitar in with in case of turbulence etc, you won’t be able to just plonk the guitar on the seat next to you. Most airlines let you book a discounted seat for instruments but not sure on Ryanair’s policy
    Seat booked already following their instructions! Not really at a discount but it is cheap. Yeah, I heard about the harness – wonder if worth reminding them, etc.
    Roland said:
    I have seen airline staff describe a guitar as a potential weapon, and then charge to put it in the hold. I’ve seen other airlines put it in a vertical locker for you, not the overhead. Whatever the airline says you might have to argue with airline staff.
    Oh dear. I've flown a couple of times with a disassembled bolt-on in hand-luggage – was fine. One of the times they tripple-scanned the body of a headless because they didn't quite believe this monstrosity is a guitar.

I appreciate all the Ryanair bashing but seems silly to spend an extra hour and a half getting to a more distant airport for an hour-long flight and thats before you consider the price!

• citesquestioncitesquestion Frets: 35
    edited March 9
    Accidental duplicate

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6813
    Are the seats next to each other, or is the guitar going to be sat next to a toddler who draws all over it?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkb said:
    Are the seats next to each other, or is the guitar going to be sat next to a toddler who draws all over it?
    Next to each other and next to a window. That's basically a relic at that point so at least a few hundred quid up in value
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11691
    bertie said:

where if it lands ?

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2467
    Ryanair has one of the best safety records out there, let’s be fair 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5371
    Not guitar related but be aware that Ryan Air no longer do gate calls. You just have to look at the screens and run. It's been catching out quite a few people.