Perfect... or Made for Me...

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11755
Here's an idea for a fun chat...

Two concepts...

First - Something that you feel is just perfect - you can't find fault with it - for you it is your most beloved or enjoyable and any faults are so unimportant to you that they don't matter.. so for example to me..

Jurassic Park - is a literally perfect film, every scene is perfect, every creative choice perfect.  Every sequel at best 10% as good as the original.

Oasis - What's The Story Morning Glory? - Purely the first album I bought, the album that hooked me on music full stop, the most life-affirming and perfectly sequenced set of songs ever.

Secondly.. something you feel was simply made for you personally, as if the creators had scooped what you love out of your head and just whacked it on record or on a screen - this is much harder to pick...

For me....

Star Trek Picard Season Three - I'm one of those "Picard was a second father" people and this astonishing nostalgia-fest was just made for me.... I've not loved anything so much in years.

What about you guys?

Perfect?
Made for you?
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3453
    I am more of a Wabi Sabi person, there is no such thing as perfection, only beauty, and there is beauty in everything.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    Except Tories.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11755
    robgilmo said:
    I am more of a Wabi Sabi person, there is no such thing as perfection, only beauty, and there is beauty in everything.
    But "Is There Truth in No Beauty?" </obscure TOS reference>
    robgilmo said:
    But "Is There Truth in No Beauty?" </obscure TOS reference>
    There is truth in everything, sometimes you only have to look to see it, some times you have to ask.
    FWIW...  other damn near perfect things...

The Lord of the Rings - the books and the films.
    Wrath of Khan
    Most Chris Nolan films...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11692
    @darthed1981 - S3 of Picard was utterly brilliant and totally unmissable.  I was in tears at the end.  Yes, perfect - despite the fact the previous seasons left me stone cold :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 10
    Offset said:
    @darthed1981 - S3 of Picard was utterly brilliant and totally unmissable.  I was in tears at the end.  Yes, perfect - despite the fact the previous seasons left me stone cold :-)
    Oh I was a wreck throughout the whole of episode ten.

Even, as a Dad to a son, where he says to Borgified Jack... "Well if you won't leave, then I'll stay with you... you have changed my life forever..."

Blub...

I actually thought more of seasons one and two than most.  They were trying to do a character drama in the Trek universe - and in some ways - the beautiful change in Picard as he sits in the Ent-D chair again to be his old self was more impactful because we had two seasons of him "lost" first...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    My son did a venn diagram of things I like in film and television in order to come up with my perfect watch.  So, if anyone knows of a French language film starring Rose Matafeo as a lesbian who solves murder mysteries that'd be great. 

I tend to think of Groundhog Day as a perfect film. There is a feminist critique of it that sometimes does the rounds but I think that comes from people who haven't watched it properly. 
    I often say that good film/television/literature creates a world and as long as everything complies by the rules of that world it doesn't matter that those things don't work in the real world. Groundhog Day does this really well. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22835
    I'm struggling to think of a perfect anything, there are lots of near-perfects but far too many to focus on and list out. 

But as far as films go, I'll nominate Galaxy Quest as a Made For Me one.  I've always said it's the best Star Trek movie ever made - although I'm not really a Star Trek fan - but it's more a case of the characters, the humour, a few soppy sentimental bits... it just connects with me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18761
    Philly_Q said:
    I'm struggling to think of a perfect anything, there are lots of near-perfects but far too many to focus on and list out. 

But as far as films go, I'll nominate Galaxy Quest as a Made For Me one.  I've always said it's the best Star Trek movie ever made - although I'm not really a Star Trek fan - but it's more a case of the characters, the humour, a few soppy sentimental bits... it just connects with me.
    By Grabthar’s hammer, you just might be right...
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26583
    edited March 10
    Perfect - Back to the Future. I've simply never encountered anybody who doesn't enjoy it as a film, online or in-person.

Made for me - loads of possibilities here, but Picard Season 3 is probably the most recent. It's a love letter to the fans, and it gave us everything we wanted. So many directors and producers say that they don't want to do fan-service, and end up giving us something nobody wants to watch; Picard S3 is an object lesson for those people.

Going back a bit further, though, there's one film that sits in both camps - Logan. There's literally no fault in this film, but it's also the most concrete ending to the story and eclipses everything that went before it. On top of that, it gave us exactly what we needed to not let the characters go out with a whimper.

It's the greatest film that I never want to see again, and it doesn't even matter that Hugh Jackman's coming back for Deadpool 3.
    <space for hire>
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Perfect - Back to the Future. I've simply never encountered anybody who doesn't enjoy it as a film, online or in-person.

Made for me - loads of possibilities here, but Picard Season 3 is probably the most recent. It's a love letter to the fans, and it gave us everything we wanted. So many directors and producers say that they don't want to do fan-service, and end up giving us something nobody wants to watch; Picard S3 is an object lesson for those people.

Going back a bit further, though, there's one film that sits in both camps - Logan. There's literally no fault in this film, but it's also the most concrete ending to the story and eclipses everything that went before it. On top of that, it gave us exactly what we needed to not let the characters go out with a whimper.

It's the greatest film that I never want to see again, and it doesn't even matter that Hugh Jackman's coming back for Deadpool 3.
    Hi. 

You have now  :grimace: 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673

C’mon!   The ES345 model he played was not introduced until 3 years after the high school dance scene was set.   It totally ruined the film for me.. and for millions of others!    

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 366
    Jaws
    Deliverance
    Duel
    Pulp Fiction

All close to perfection for me, the viewer. Surely that's what matters?
    Logan... It's the greatest film that I never want to see again,.

Interesting - simply because of the sheer emotional impact?
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    edited March 10
    FWIW, for me, just perfect, I'd bag 2 very different records:

(i) Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Sessions

Very different from most stuff I listen to, and indeed listened to at the time I first heard it, a young stripling at university in the late 80's.  Haunting, perfect vocals, and laid-back, stripped but gorgeous instrumentation.  The guitar tones in particular are (to my cloth ears) sensational.  Saw them live in ?1990 and they were just sublime.

(ii) Jordi Savall/Le Concert des Nations - Boccherini: Fandango, Sinfonie & La Musica Notturna di Madrid

I was sent this by a friend I met whilst walking the Camino de Santiago in 2000 (an experience that blew this jaded old atheist's mind, and after one repeat I still yearn to get back there).  It speaks to me of Spain, of those (very) long walks, of the people I met, conversations I had, and places I saw, but more it's just a passionate, eclectic baroque grab-bag of consummate artistry.  These people sound like they're having fun.  The apps or whatever that take notes of this stuff tell me it's my most played album.

As for made for me?

The film Withnail and I.

In more or less equal parts tragic, obscene, drunken, and very, very sardonically funny.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26583
    Logan... It's the greatest film that I never want to see again,.

Interesting - simply because of the sheer emotional impact?
    Yes, basically. It's a pretty harrowing watch, especially if you're really invested in the characters, but equally...I wouldn't change a thing about it.
    <space for hire>
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    edited March 11
    I can only think of things that I feel were made for me.

Like every Velvet Underground song.  Every Elliott Smith song.  Every Sigur Ros song.  Most of Bowie’s catalogue.  Nevermind.  The Strokes’ Is This It?  The The’s Dusk.  Don Quixote.  Candide.  Kafka’s The Trial.  Camus’ The Fall.  Welsh’s Trainspotting.  “Existentialism is a Humanism”.  Onion Talks.  Moonlight Sonata.  Air on the G String.  Claire de Lune and Arabesque no. 1.  Gymnopedie 1-3.  
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    I love a road movie, but with a twist. Not sure if either of these are perfect or just perfect for me, but Blues Brothers and O Brother Where Art tho? fit that catagory. They have all the ingredients; characters looking for redemption on a quest, fantastic music, pathos, fantastic villains, ob sta cles. Both are perfect (for me).

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12364
    edited March 11
    I would second @Cranky with Sigur ros, never mind and is this it. I would add the Las, plus Doolittle by the pixies as well as the Bends and Out of Time. 

Made for me anything by the Byrds or Beach boys. 

Perfect films that spring to mind; the lost boys, a few good men, once upon a time in the west.  

Made for me, Grosse Point Blank, Near Dark, Scanners, Fright Night.