Perfect... or Made for Me...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    edited March 11
    ^^^ ah yeah I forgot to mention movies.  Specifically Wes Anderson movies.  Especially the holy trinity of Bottlerocket, Rushmore and Royal Tenembaums, but all of them really.  I didn’t realize how much a director mattered until Wes came into my life (I know he writes, too, which helps the cause).

And also Robin Hood: Men in Tights.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Men in tights is the only film I've ever walked out of - and I'm a Mel Brooks fan.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11686
    If we're talking movies, it has to be Powell and Pressburger's A Matter Of Life And Death.  It IS perfect - utterly, utterly brilliant and I never tire of seeing it.  Everything from the acting, the cinematography, the wonderfully saturated colour sequences and the effects to the fantastical storyline - all perfection.  
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5448
    Why is everybody talking about films? Surely this is a thread about Mrs Tannin.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    munckee said:
    I would second @Cranky with Sigur ros, never mind and is this it. I would add the Las, plus Doolittle by the pixies as well as the Bends and Out of Time. 

Made for me anything by the Byrds or Beach boys. 

Perfect films that spring to mind; the lost boys, a few good men, once upon a time in the west.  

Made for me, Grosse Point Blank, Near Dark, Scanners, Fright Night. 

Ooh I love Grosse Point Blank. The Clash, The Beat, The Pixies (I'll treat Guns and Roses as an aberration) and just a no flab story. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 366
    So many things have been added to this thread since I posted which perhaps should have been included on my list.

That's what I like about it here.
  • rainer2859rainer2859 Frets: 304
    Alfa GT Junior.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    Oh so so many things. 

A few that come to mind….

In the world of Film; Jaws, Fifth Element, Hobson’s Choice, Midnight Run, Nuns On The Run, Blazing Saddles 

In the world of Music; the writing of Paul Simon, James McMurtry & Joni Mitchell. The phrasing and feel of Gilmour. The vocal feel of Gil Scott-Heron and Freddie Mercury. 

As mentioned above, Trek. Just all of it, from Jeffry Hunter on Rigel VII at the beginning of The Cage to Anson Mount rounding out that story last year. 

And last but no means least, freshly laid and still warm eggs, poached and served on a doorstep of perfect toast.  <3
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    That’s difficult @darthed1981 ;

i’m gonna go with ANDOR 

and as a child of the 70s I might say ABBA live, which I never got to see, but the recent ABBA spectacle in east London suggested to me they were a much rockier group than just the headline singles might make others think
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    edited March 11
    Emp_Fab said:
    Men in tights is the only film I've ever walked out of - and I'm a Mel Brooks fan.
    But it boasts a young Dave Chappelle, a cringey rap scene, and a blind man reading a dirty magazine in Braille.  

Ok, I admit I haven’t seen it since I was 14-15 years old in the mid 90s.  But it was made for my 15yo self!  And as a historiography enthusiast, it is the best sort of history film to me.  (I also think Dennis the annoying peasant should have gotten his own spinoff.)

That is a good thread premise, though — films we’ve walked out on.  I’ll wait for you to start it before I share mine.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    munckee said:
    as well as the Bends and Out of Time. 
    Ironically I think I'd put OK Computer and Automatic as the "flawless" ones!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...