If you were to build a tube amp only for bedroom use, nothing else,

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• MikePMikeP Frets: 61
    marlinman said:
    I have two amps that do the bedroom volume thing really well, but they are at two ends of the spectrum.

I have a Carr Skylark that sounds amazing down to whisper levels but not a cheap solution if its only for bedroom levels use. 

Also have  Sheldon TT3R, which I have had for many years. It has 2 ecc83’s for the preamp and 3 eec82’s for output, 12" speaker and a spring long tank reverb, its rated at 1-3 watts.  With the gain and master up it will blow the wall out even operating class A at 1 watt but with the gain up and the master down it will do edge of break up to full Neil Young at more than friendly bedroom volumes. Cleans sound majestic at low levels as well. 

So I think as has been said it’s a case of the right output rating and a good master volume, 1 watt in a valve amp can be very loud. 

I have the same amp but without the R, great thing does everything you want except loud AND clean. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9629
    jaymenon said:
    ecc83 said:
    Why go to all that trouble Rob when you can buy an HT-1?

The little amp puts out just about one watt and even 'our' biggest detractor ICBM say the One is quite a decent sounding amp!

However, even one watt into say a V30 will kick out 100dB SPL (at 1m) and that is a lot louder than any FSTV will go. The solution is pretty simple, one of those L pads, a 15 or 20 W one will be fine. Bloody sight easier to build than a complete guitar amp!
    Get looking on Ebay.
    Dave.

I would disagree, Dave, the new HT5 Mk II (to my mind) renders the HT1 redundant.

it sounds really lovely and 0.5W mode really really works. Better EQ options than the HT 1.

I use it with a Celestion G12-65 Heritage. 

And now I don’t miss my RedPlate anymore - for me, that says it all.
    Wow.

Redplate vs Blackstar…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom