Dead Boss GT1? Help!

What's Hot
scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
I sold mine on eBay last week but buyer messaged immediately to say it wasn’t working at all on arrival with either batteries or psu so he’s had to return it for a refund. I presume it got shaken around in transit - it was well-packaged in original box and bubble wrap. Anyone know of anything I could try to get it working again. No lights, no sound, nothing. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1423
    Did you provide the PSU? 

I'd not, did the purchaser use the correct PSU?

These things are fairly robust.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72357
    scarry67 said:
    I sold mine on eBay last week but buyer messaged immediately to say it wasn’t working at all on arrival with either batteries or psu so he’s had to return it for a refund. I presume it got shaken around in transit - it was well-packaged in original box and bubble wrap. Anyone know of anything I could try to get it working again. No lights, no sound, nothing. 
    Classic excuse for buyer's remorse. Don't be surprised if it works perfectly when you get it back.

Or, was he aware that you have to plug a guitar cable into the input to power it up?

nero1701 said:
    Did you provide the PSU? 

I'd not, did the purchaser use the correct PSU?

These things are fairly robust.
    This too - although it would still work on batteries.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1503
    edited March 12
    ICBM said:
    Or, was he aware that you have to plug a guitar cable into the input to power it up?
    He doesn't even need to read the manual for that – mine says

INPUT
      (   )
        ^
    Power on
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    No, I think he’s genuine. It came back today and I can’t get a thing out of it. He started with batteries and then a psu. I’ve tried Boss psu but haven’t got the required batteries around. 
    Found & tried batteries, no joy there. And alas no magic switch. I’ll look to see if there’s a Trouble shooting page in manual…
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10411
    I wonder if he (for some reason) plugged in the wrong PSU ? 

Sometimes when you are trying gear out there may be cables and adapters all over the floor. I've seen loads of pedals fried in this manner 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Possible. I didn’t send a Boss cable. Will be more cautious in future. 
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 221
    I would have thought the battery option would still work if the wrong PSU had been used. Are you sure the instrument input jack is not dirty
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72357
    Jono111 said:
    I would have thought the battery option would still work if the wrong PSU had been used.
    Not if it's fried the voltage regulator.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I’ll try a bit of contact cleaner tonight but hopes fade.
    Would using wrong psu kill it immediately or over a period of time?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10411
    edited March 13
    Straight away
    Two things will harm it .., the wrong polarity and too higher a voltage

The worst thing that could be connected is a PSU with a linear AC output of 17 V or so .. typically used with black star valve pedals, Alto mixing desks, some rack processors. 

I’m not familiar with this device at all but sometimes when a unit is powered by external PSU  or batteries plugging in The PSU barrel Jack moves a contact which disconnects the batteries from the circuit. In these cases damage to that one part can render the unit not working off external PSU or batteries,  as that part is integral to both supplies
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5375
    The GT1 definitely won't use battery power if the PSU jack is in. And the actual "on/off" is switched by plugging into the input jack, regardless of power source.

I'm not an electronics genius but any stretch, but if its not coming on at all I'd imagine something is toasted inside, unless the input jack has got buggered.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    scarry67 said:
    Sounds suspect to me, packaged in box then bubble wrapped..rabbit away for me..swapped units ? Or has he fried it using the wrong power and realised so went down the recieved not working route ? .
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4163
    This does sound like he has done something to cause it to fail & the psu is the easiest thing to have done . I have a GT1 (I’ve had 2) & they’re pretty damned robust . Plus inside the box they come in they’re held real securely & safe by that rigid foam they pack things with nowadays .
    ive had 2 of these units & never had any problems they’re pretty bomb proof 
    Yes, never happened to me before. Once had a big Fuzz Face turn up with damaged wiring. I’d now think twice about posting some items without clearer statements about psu use  :/