Anybody any good at decrypting passwords?

What's Hot
m_cm_c Frets: 1240
As per title.
I've agreed to sell a 3D printer that has a RPi at it's core, however I've forgotten the password that I set, and it's not the default RPi password.

However I do have the encrypted key from the FTP I used to connect to it, but my skills are failing at successfully decrypting it.
I have the code used to encrypt/decrypt the passwords, however my attempts at running it through a decrypter have so far failed.

I suspect the issue is the FTP code is adding Hex conversions, which the online decrypters can't handle.
Plus all the code is in C++, which I'm fairly hopeless at.

If there's anybody who wants to give this a go, I can supply all the information.
Worst case scenario, the RPi OS needs reinstalled fresh.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    What’s your mum’s maiden name? Pet name? Credit card number? CVV code? Street you lived on as a child?
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 685
    edited March 12
    Reinstall the software from scratch on the RPi ?

The FTP user probably doesn't have shell access, and could be FTPS (secure FTP), or SFTP (FTP-over-ssh). The latter has more chance of shell access, but probably doesn't have it, and almost certainly not privileged access in any case 

If you don't have the original installation media, can you download it or otherwise get a copy from the manufacturer?
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12361
    edited March 12
    The password is "IvorBigun" and your pin is 6841 for both your debit and credit cards strangely. You are wearing blue.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    When you say you have the encryption key, what do you actually have ? Feel free to DM me on here. 
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 233
    On the off-chance the thing is running openssh to service sftp requests you might be able to get a shell using an ssh client and the file transfer creds. All depends on how loosely it was set up. There's always crackers like john the ripper if you have a way in but the overhead of running it would mean it is probably easier to to reload the Pi.

Alternatively, settle down in a nice, comfy chair, a large glass of something refreshing and picture yourself setting it up. Chances are the password will float to the surface of your mind.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9621
    This is exactly why you should write your passwords down in a little notebook bought specifically for the purpose, and keep it at hand in somewhere easily accessible and obvious, like on your computer desk.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    maharg101 said:

The FTP user probably doesn't have shell access, and could be FTPS (secure FTP), or SFTP (FTP-over-ssh). The latter has more chance of shell access, but probably doesn't have it, and almost certainly not privileged access in any case 

If you don't have the original installation media, can you download it or otherwise get a copy from the manufacturer?
    Reinstalling the RPi OS/Software is fairly straightforward, but it would mean losing the current settings.

AFAIK FTP access is using the main/root user details, as I couldn't be bothered setting up a separate user just for FTP, especially since the files that got modified over FTP are in the main user directory. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3008
    It will be some variation of a password you use for other things, but just with a special characteristic that the password requires

Example: Me1234, could be Me1234! (if it requires a special character). It could be one that will not allow 'weak passwords' so you may have entered Me1Me2Me3Me4!! instead.

Best way to tell is to try re-entering a password and see if they give you guidance on what they expect from a strong password.

But I bet it's a variation of one you've used before.
    Full details.

I know the user name is 'pi'.
    The FTP client I used was the NppFTP plugin for Notepad++
    The hashed password stored is '1BCB6351F77B25D10A'
    And the defaultKey used by NppFTP for encryption is 'NppFTP00'
    NppFTP is apparently using openssl DES 64bit Cipher Feedback.

The source code for NppFTP is on Github - GitHub - ashkulz/NppFTP: Plugin for Notepad++ allowing FTP, FTPS, FTPES and SFTP communications
    And the encryption code is - NppFTP/src/Encryption.cpp at master · ashkulz/NppFTP · GitHub
    Which also makes use of Hex conversion in StringUtil.cpp

Somebody has made a decrypter script, but I don't have any easy way of running it - notepad++ nppftp decryption routine · GitHub
    m_c said:
    maharg101 said:

Reinstalling the RPi OS/Software is fairly straightforward, but it would mean losing the current settings.

AFAIK FTP access is using the main/root user details, as I couldn't be bothered setting up a separate user just for FTP, especially since the files that got modified over FTP are in the main user directory. 
    So you have the SSH private key for the main/root user. If it has a passphrase on the private key, presumably you know that, since you were using it for SFTP. So there's nothing to decrypt.. just use the private key to ssh into the pi.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    It won't be a strong password, however it's not the password I've used on my other printers.

For anybody to hack the printer, they'd have to first get through my firewall, then hope the printer was actually turned on.
    maharg101 said:
    m_c said:
    maharg101 said:

So you have the SSH private key for the main/root user. If it has a passphrase on the private key, presumably you know that, since you were using it for SFTP. So there's nothing to decrypt.. just use the private key to ssh into the pi.
    See my newer post.
    The FTP plugin stores the actual password as a hash, and then decrypts it internally before connecting over SFTP.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1019
    Can you not take out the sd card and pop it into a computer running Linux?
    Edit the /etc/passwd file
    pi:x:890:pi:/pi:/bin/bash

remove the x
    pi::890:pi:/pi:/bin/bash

save it, insert into pi and login with no password
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 190
    edited March 13
    @m_c From the info you've provided, password looks to be just rp3Dprint
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    wolsnah said:
    @m_c From the info you've provided, password looks to be just rp3Dprint
    Thank you!
    I knew it would have been something simple.