Trading your expensive new guitars for a single vintage guitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11705
    ^^ Fantastic knowledge, and one of the reasons this place can be so great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10431
    tFB Trader
    I was actually going to point out that a black light test on a refinished guitar is about as pointless as it gets.  I would leave this one very well alone ... it's as moody as a pit bull with sore knackers
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1292
    I was actually going to point out that a black light test on a refinished guitar is about as pointless as it gets.  I would leave this one very well alone ... it's as moody as a pit bull with sore knackers
    Maybe if you wanted to confirm that refinish hadn’t been partially refinished?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 426
    Wowsers  :o I've just logged in to find an absolute forensic deep-dive into my question. Thank you all so much! As @Offset just said, this place is so bloody helpful for younger players like myself, I learn so much from this forum. 

Appreciate the advice on this guitar specifically, but also the insight into the general idea of buying vintage. Wisdom to everyone, and thank you once again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22859
    Has it gone?  I clicked on the Gumtree link and nothing.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    Edited my first post. Now I’m looking at it on a bigger screen there are way too many issues.

It will black light just fine if it’s never had any breaks because it was never a Gibson in the first place…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10431
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    My guess is the seller sussed he'd been rumbled with a somewhat suspect instrument ... and is  off on his toes ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited March 13
    You could pick up a used Custom Shop reissue of the '58 double cut for less than half that, which will have no issues hopefully .
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    Philly_Q said:
    My guess is the seller sussed he'd been rumbled with a somewhat suspect instrument ... and is  off on his toes ... 
    Those cheapo Fazley cases are sort after. :#
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    Regardless of the outcome of this trade, if it’s peaked your interest in vintage juniors I highly recommend trying one as they really have something wonderful going on 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2380
    Is the seller named Kate from W.London? She's just been messing with her photos again, nothing to worry about.......
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    ^^ Fantastic knowledge, and one of the reasons this place can be so great.
    100% agree - we can have our off days at times, between us - But on its day it is a valuable source and free as well

tomajoha said:
    Regardless of the outcome of this trade, if it’s peaked your interest in vintage juniors I highly recommend trying one as they really have something wonderful going on 
    Agree there is something there - I was born in 59, so in many ways a Junior/Special is really my only affordable vintage option and even that gate has now closed at today's prices - For years I was after a good clean 59

I played a bad refin, player grade 59 that blew me away with regards to its character and playability - Re-fin black - Broken headstock - Good re-fret and great to play and at the time under 2K - I didn't buy it as I wanted a clean example that played/felt that way - Never found one so never went down the route - Neil at @IvisonGuitars was building some great 'replica's that caught my eye and played a couple of Rock n Roll Relic's that have some 'old school' in them - But now I wish I had brought that black re-fin as it was a killer to play 
  • ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 426
    Just to answer some of the questions above - it's not the case that the seller has been found out and removed his listing, he has been great about it and contacted me to say he'd taken it down whilst he gets it fully inspected. It seems that he's been on the unfortunate end of a deal a few years back which was sad to hear. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    When looking at “ vintage” guitars uncle Google is your friend. Type in 1950s Les Paul Jnr control cavity and in Images compare the sellers guitar to the images… nope.
    avoid.
    if something is vintage , cheap and a bargain… 
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    ATB Guitars has one 
  • Feel free to send me a PM, I can't see pics but i do have a 50's TV junior currently at home so can hopefully give an informed opinion.