Jacob Collier approach to guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2797
    It’s an interesting one

the one thing he isn’t is smug

i DONT alike his music / albums much (I’ve given them a hear) but his effervescence and desire to learn new things, and why and what he can do with them is highly catching at least to me.

its an apparent shame that some, to me at least, that his accent as part of the judgement.
    I am extremely pleased that we have Jacob Colliers in the word.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3305
    sev112 said:
    'Collier'...there's only one of him!

Or is there...

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Bowks said:
    I watched a few tracks on YouTube and a bit of the video in the OP. I thought he seemed quite humble about the idea anyone would ask him about his guitar playing, I didn't get the smugness. 
    If this forum has taught me one thing it's along the lines of 'here's a video, isn't this impressive ' almost never impresses me because, I don't know, I just don't think that's how I ever discover music. Maybe I'll come back to this again in six months now I know the name. Certainly a talented/clever person and, as others have said, on a guitar forum maybe we should be glad that someone is making guitar and harmony central to pop choons where so much of it has become homogenised four chord loops,etc. 
    THat's one more chord than the blooz 
    3 chords are too much for me sometimes, doesn't mean I only want to listen to music as boring as what I play :flushed: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4253
    sev112 said:
    It’s an interesting one

the one thing he isn’t is smug

i DONT alike his music / albums much (I’ve given them a hear) but his effervescence and desire to learn new things, and why and what he can do with them is highly catching at least to me.

its an apparent shame that some, to me at least, that his accent as part of the judgement.
    I hate these smug posh musicians. I'd much rather listen to Led Zeppelin......

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2797
    first sentence : “… not necessarily doing one night stands…”
    Ah I’m pleased, maybe everything I read about him is untrue then ? 
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    I haven't yet watched the Paul Davids YT thing - 40 minutes is quite long for me to watch in one go. However, someone above posted a link of Collier doing a cover of Dancing Queen, and it's now stuck in my mind which is not good. So, for no reason other than that I've decided I hate Jacob Collier! :dissapointed: 

Seriously though, I was in a cafe a few weeks ago, and ranted to my wife about these crap, slowed down covers of songs which seem to be being played everywhere lately - TV ads, cafes, even my Turkish barber was playing this shit. Is there a huge demand for, lets say, Bowie's Let's Dance played at 3/4 speed and sung in a mournful fashion? It's really getting to me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 15
    Pjon said:

Seriously though, I was in a cafe a few weeks ago, and ranted to my wife about these crap, slowed down covers of songs which seem to be being played everywhere lately - TV ads, cafes, even my Turkish barber was playing this shit. Is there a huge demand for, let’s say, Bowie's Let's Dance played at 3/4 speed and sung in a mournful fashion? It's really getting to me!
    That drives me nuts too. The whole “acoustic lounge” cover treatment, especially once you add cursive vocal stylings into the mix and even more if the song in question is lyrically really just a bit of fluff.

Airy piano plays..::
    Breathily : Agado-Ee-owwww
    Poignant pause…
    Even more breathily: pwersh poinappow….shayayayayak a troi …

Someone must like it because it’s everywhere. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 505
    Sporky said:
    Dumodal said:
    I bet the ones criticising had few Grammy's or any relevant recognition in music too?
    This is one of the worst arguments trotted out in this sort of discussion. Neat combination of argument from authority and ad hominem.

It's like declaring that people aren't allowed to say they didn't like a meal in a Michelin starred restaurant , when it was made from ingredients they don't like.

I also don't get the "be proud" thing. His achievements owe absolutely nothing to me.
    Well, some of the comments come as arrogant to me, I am not saying you can/can't like something and you are free to give your opinion if it is constructive and respectful.

If you go to the Michelin Restaurant and say "I liked the presentation but the food was not what I expected, so I don't like it" that's fair but if you go "This restaurant is shit, I eat better in the fish and chips at the corner" that sounds abrupt.

but again I am more into the "For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you"

I guess it is a cultural thing maybe if I see a successful person who has accomplished a lot, especially in music and it is a fellow countryman, that makes me happy in a way, even if it doesn't change anything in particular in my life.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23104
    Pjon said:
    Seriously though, I was in a cafe a few weeks ago, and ranted to my wife about these crap, slowed down covers of songs which seem to be being played everywhere lately - TV ads, cafes, even my Turkish barber was playing this shit. Is there a huge demand for, lets say, Bowie's Let's Dance played at 3/4 speed and sung in a mournful fashion? It's really getting to me!
    It all started with John Lewis Christmas adverts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28698
    Dumodal said:

If you go to the Michelin Restaurant and say "I liked the presentation but the food was not what I expected, so I don't like it" that's fair but if you go "This restaurant is shit, I eat better in the fish and chips at the corner" that sounds abrupt.

That's absolutely fair. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9879
    Philly_Q said:
    Pjon said:
    I'm pretty sure stuff like Radio 1 Live Lounge etc were already around way before the sickening John Lewis adverts doing much the same thing. 

It is popular though - i've got a couple of bookings this year doing it, one wants a selection of Panic and Fall Out Boy and the other just general pop songs, and often get sent playlists of that kind of things for the piano playing part (the main deal) of my side hustle for the kinds of vibes people want.

I even won a Fretboard Cover Challenge vote doing it a couple of months back!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Lawriejones1Lawriejones1 Frets: 146
    It’s the old intelligence v emotion debate. Thos Ron doubt that he’s preternaturally talented but the music just bores me to tears and seems as soulless as lift music. Guess emotion often comes from experience and he’s spent most of his life playing to middle aged audiences. 
    Philly_Q said:
    Pjon said:
    I'm pretty sure stuff like Radio 1 Live Lounge etc were already around way before the sickening John Lewis adverts doing much the same thing. 

It is popular though - i've got a couple of bookings this year doing it, one wants a selection of Panic and Fall Out Boy and the other just general pop songs, and often get sent playlists of that kind of things for the piano playing part (the main deal) of my side hustle for the kinds of vibes people want.
    Yeah, I probably should've said that as far as crossing my radar, it all started with John Lewis Christmas adverts...

I never listen to Radio 1, or 6 Music, but I do listen to 5 Live and although it's a sport/talk station some shows occasionally have musical guests.  Whenever they say "So-and-so will be doing an exclusive live performance for us!" it is always, always a cover version sung in a whiny, breathy voice with a basic piano or acoustic guitar accompaniment.  No offence, but I fucking HATE it.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9879
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Pjon said:

Yeah, I probably should've said that as far as crossing my radar, it all started with John Lewis Christmas adverts...

I never listen to Radio 1, or 6 Music, but I do listen to 5 Live and although it's a sport/talk station some shows occasionally have musical guests.  Whenever they say "So-and-so will be doing an exclusive live performance for us!" it is always, always a cover version sung in a whiny, breathy voice with a basic piano or acoustic guitar accompaniment.  No offence, but I fucking HATE it.
    None at all taken, i dislike a lot of it as well, unfortunately for me it's all i'm any good at :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It’s the old intelligence v emotion debate. Thos Ron doubt that he’s preternaturally talented but the music just bores me to tears and seems as soulless as lift music. Guess emotion often comes from experience and he’s spent most of his life playing to middle aged audiences. 
    That's not the old debate playing out here. The old debate in this thread is "i don't like it therefore it's deficient" vs "it's not deficient just because you don;t like it".

You seem to have picked a clear side.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    None at all taken, i dislike a lot of it as well, unfortunately for me it's all i'm any good at :)
    Kudos to you for being good at something. :)  I'm rubbish at everything.  Except maybe General Knowledge.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2416
    edited March 15
    Just because the emotion in a piece of music doesn't elicit the same response in you doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you respond to different things emotionally to other people.

It's like the old boomer bollocks about playing with "feel", which seems to disregard any emotion that isn't brought on by a slow whole-step bend meant to make you miss when you weren't old and grumpy.

And a quick look at live footage suggests his audiences are a) leaning on the younger side and b) getting very excited and emotionally invested in the music.

The music is not at fault just because you don't like it. It's okay to not like things but recognise that they can still have merit for others. Your experience is not universal.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 925
    Bowks said:
    sev112 said:
    While I was restringing yesterday I made my Taylor a 5 string, that was quite fun
    I messed around with the tuning last night. I liked how easy it is to ues the 3rd string for the 3rd in a barre chord. Didn't get into anything much fancier, as it was late and wine.
    I love having 5ths on the low end. I've been using what I pretentiously referred to as my "cello-hybrid tuning" (C G D G B E) in some settings and I love the voicings Root - Fifth - Third, kinda more pianistic in a way. Lovely stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6193
    Bowks said:
    sev112 said:
    While I was restringing yesterday I made my Taylor a 5 string, that was quite fun
    I messed around with the tuning last night. I liked how easy it is to ues the 3rd string for the 3rd in a barre chord. Didn't get into anything much fancier, as it was late and wine.
    I love having 5ths on the low end. I've been using what I pretentiously referred to as my "cello-hybrid tuning" (C G D G B E) in some settings and I love the voicings Root - Fifth - Third, kinda more pianistic in a way. Lovely stuff.
    I'll bet there are all sorts of interesting chord voicings waiting to be discovered from these weird tunings. And unlike the piano, the guitar is perfect for getting off the beaten track.

Alas I'm a bear of little brain, and what little there is packed only with EADGBE shapes and can't let go. Good that there are people like you and Collier going off piste.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 925
    goldtop said:
    Bowks said:
    sev112 said:
    I'll bet there are all sorts of interesting chord voicings waiting to be discovered from these weird tunings. And unlike the piano, the guitar is perfect for getting off the beaten track.

Alas I'm a bear of little brain, and what little there is packed only with EADGBE shapes and can't let go. Good that there are people like you and Collier going off piste.
    It's nothing compared to what the likes of Sonic Youth etc have got up to over the years :-) Need a new song? Get a new tuning!