Jacob Collier approach to guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• AlunAlun Frets: 125
    Have to admit I didn't know an awful lot about Jake or his music beforehand - he's one of those names I've heard in passing but not investigated any further. But have to say I was very impressed by his interview, and what I've heard of his music so far has been diverse, complex, interesting and incredibly well produced. Not to mention the very interesting approach to guitar. Going to give his most recent album a more detailed listen over the weekend, I think. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3324
    Why is this so moving...

Of course, he samples it at some point and it appears on a subsequent record...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17698
    tFB Trader
    It’s the old intelligence v emotion debate. Thos Ron doubt that he’s preternaturally talented but the music just bores me to tears and seems as soulless as lift music. Guess emotion often comes from experience and he’s spent most of his life playing to middle aged audiences. 

Well he's been playing since he was about 3 and he's 2 years older than Kurt, Jimi, or Amy were when they died, so I don't think that's the answer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5003
    The guy is talented but his music does nothing for me. Pass. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 653
    We are told he has reinvented guitar tuning, yet he plays with a capo.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9910
    Litterick said:
    What's wrong with a capo? 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Litterick said:
    What's wrong with a capo? 
    Sometimes I don’t know if people are trying to be funny and I just don’t get it? 
    I don’t think Jacob is making any such claim anyway, I thought it was a variation on tenor tuning which probably means someone in a jazz band in 1930 was doing it or close to it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1981
    edited March 16
    In another video, Jacob tells the interviewer what his 'Lil Blue' is...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2zbzJHI1fIY/sddefault.jpg
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lawriejones1Lawriejones1 Frets: 146
    timmypix said:
    It’s the old intelligence v emotion debate. Thos Ron doubt that he’s preternaturally talented but the music just bores me to tears and seems as soulless as lift music. Guess emotion often comes from experience and he’s spent most of his life playing to middle aged audiences. 
    Just because the emotion in a piece of music doesn't elicit the same response in you doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you respond to different things emotionally to other people.

It's like the old boomer bollocks about playing with "feel", which seems to disregard any emotion that isn't brought on by a slow whole-step bend meant to make you miss when you weren't old and grumpy.

And a quick look at live footage suggests his audiences are a) leaning on the younger side and b) getting very excited and emotionally invested in the music.

The music is not at fault just because you don't like it. It's okay to not like things but recognise that they can still have merit for others. Your experience is not universal.
    This is the point I was trying to make, but poorly expressed myself.

I like some modern jazz which to many people is atonal bollocks. 

I find no emotional resonance with his music, but I can appreciate the technicality and skill in constructing it. Others will find different things in his music and that’s great. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2804
    Of course old men playing pentatonics over 13 bar blues is sooooo “crap” ;);
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 550
    I wonder one thing - imagine you've heard just his music, no music videos, no explanatory and instructional YT, nothing, just his albums. Would the reaction be the same?
    tFB Trader
    I wonder one thing - imagine you've heard just his music, no music videos, no explanatory and instructional YT, nothing, just his albums. Would the reaction be the same?

Yes because his use of harmony is next level insane.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28777
    Yes. It still wouldn't do much for me, but I'd still acknowledge the skill behind it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28777
    Litterick said:
    We are told he has reinvented guitar tuning
    By whom? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7819

First music video hit off youtube:

Harmonically, maybe it's clever but I dont feel a sense of daring in the way great jazz does, or clever in the way greap pop may.
    Nor is it good songwriting. Overall it's like an awkward teenager trapped between Pop and Hyperfrenetic Steey Dan. I think he's be better of taking psycedelics, a five year break and playing with fuzz pedals.

I find this more interesting on so many levels, harmony, lyrics, tonality, attitude and swing:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23218
    I was wondering if that was a post from him saying "I've been told there's a bunch of grumpy old twats slagging me off on a guitar forum".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

First music video hit off youtube:

Harmonically, maybe it's clever but I dont feel a sense of daring in the way great jazz does, or clever in the way greap pop may.
    Nor is it good songwriting. Overall it's like an awkward teenager trapped between Pop and Hyperfrenetic Steey Dan. I think he's be better of taking psycedelics, a five year break and playing with fuzz pedals.

I find this more interesting on so many levels, harmony, lyrics, tonality, attitude and swing:

I'm not interested in debating it with you. If you are interested there a numerous YouTube videos by experts breaking it down.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 550

Overall it's like an awkward teenager trapped between Pop and Hyperfrenetic Steey Dan. I think he's be better of taking psycedelics, a five year break and playing with fuzz pedals.

Something like this, or They Might Be Giants on student drugs, with added sugar.

It seems to me that he's aware of his perceived main asset, so he's going all out attack with it. Sounds a bit over the top.
  • BradBrad Frets: 670
    Going all “six degrees of separation” for a moment, I know a couple of people that have spent time with Collier in differing capacities. 

First up is a friend that was at The Purcell the same time as Collier. Apparently his principle instrument was double bass (which I didn’t expect) and he was only there for a few months until Quincey and Herbie got hold of him. My mate really doesn’t give praise lightly, but he was gushing about how talented he was back then. I could really see the reverence in his eyes when he talked about him. 

The other, is someone that Collier went to for lessons (don’t know when or how many). I think they still occasionally meet up when schedules permit. A “good soul” by all accounts.

Not sure what this adds really… other than confirming what I already know about his musical ability and that, what some people may perceive as “smugness”, might just be sheer love and enthusiasm for music and what he does, which is how it comes across to me anyway. 

His music might not be my bag (I’ve not listened to much of it to be fair), but I certainly appreciate what he’s about. Whilst musical talent doesn’t equate to good songs (that’s in the ear of the beholder after all), give me a Jacob Collier over an Ed Sheeran (who I actually have a begrudging respect for :wink:) every day of the week. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom