Wedding Gigs

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    Yep. We've been told countless times by wedding "planners" (was there ever a more badly named profession?) we have to be there at a given time, only to sit in our cars for hours because the speeches and cake nonsense haven't even started yet. 

Plus you can guarantee that the space where you're supposed to be playing is where the bride and groom's table is, so while you're running around with drums and cabs there's usually two chronically overworked teenage waitresses trying to move half a ton of furniture out of the way. 

So yeah, I might triple the price next year now I think of it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 326
    p90fool said:
    Yep. We've been told countless times by wedding "planners" (was there ever a more badly named profession?) we have to be there at a given time, only to sit in our cars for hours because the speeches and cake nonsense haven't even started yet. 

Plus you can guarantee that the space where you're supposed to be playing is where the bride and groom's table is, so while you're running around with drums and cabs there's usually two chronically overworked teenage waitresses trying to move half a ton of furniture out of the way. 

Don't you get a dressing room or a table in the corner etc? Sitting in the cars seems a bit off...
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298

p90fool said:
    Don't get the charge double for a wedding gig,
    It's simply because I don't want to do them.

I did a few wedding gigs in our band, hired as the band rather than as a wedding band. Yes they paid double but it's a long day and when I was working 9-5 all week I didn't enjoy becoming the hired help on a Saturday and then playing to an audience that was usually 80% disinterested. If it was to pay the mortgage that's a different thing but as a weekend warrior it wasn't the best. 
    I went to a wedding where Mike Sanchez was a guest and he played a short set . I know he's not a household name but decades as a pro musician including work with Jeff Beck and Bill Wyman. But most of the guests looked at him like an alien had just landed. 
    topdog91 said:
    p90fool said:

Don't you get a dressing room or a table in the corner etc? Sitting in the cars seems a bit off...
    At one of these weddings we were given a room to wait in. This doubled as the children's play area so I made Lego pyramids and drew dinosaurs whilst waiting. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9825
    Blimey, I must be very fortunate as I've done 60+ weddings now and I've not had any of the disorganisation problems it sounds like you guys have suffered - admittedly i'm a day time musician so it might not be as bad as things haven't had time to go wrong, but the staff I've encountered at the places I've played at have all been really good, accommodating, organised and very much stick to schedule more or less. 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic