Long leg or short leg?

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4696
What is the difference  between long and short leg HB pickups?  I have a set where the legs measure 1/2" from the bottom edge of the body of the pickup which, I assume, are long leg.

Am I right?
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10449
    tFB Trader
    rlw said:
    What is the difference  between long and short leg HB pickups?  I have a set where the legs measure 1/2" from the bottom edge of the body of the pickup which, I assume, are long leg.

Am I right?
    You are ... generally I say long legs for Gibsons ... short legs for everything else.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72361
    Long legs if there’s enough height for them, since they wobble less. Short if there isn’t.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14266
    tFB Trader
    rlw said:
    What is the difference  between long and short leg
    And I thought you wanted to know the difference in cricket fielding positions 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2481

You are ... generally I say 
    Foghorn Leghorn?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

ICBM said:
    Long legs if there’s enough height for them, since they wobble less. Short if there isn’t.

Generally the tendency these days is for pickup routs to get shallower - Ibanez and PRS to name but two companies who are not allowing space for longer legs, or even full length pole screws ... and in the case of some newer Ibanez instruments, no crank at all is allowed for on the baseplate. With the correct length springs and proper fitting there should be no more 'wobble' in short leg pickups than in long ones. If you buy short leg pickups they will be usable on a wider range of instruments, plus it's actually very difficult to get 52mm spaced pickups in long leg. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    rlw said:
    What is the difference  between long and short leg
    And I thought you wanted to know the difference in cricket fielding positions 
    Ex-military servicemen will be relieved that the thread question was not about short arms.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    rlw said:

Am I right?
    You are ... generally I say long legs for Gibsons ... short legs for everything else.
    Especially if it's something like an SG or Flying V with a scratchplate-mounted bridge pickup.  If you use a short-leg pickup in that situation the height adjustment springs may be squished to the point that they won't squish any more.
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    rlw said:

Am I right?
    Especially if it's something like an SG or Flying V with a scratchplate-mounted bridge pickup.  If you use a short-leg pickup in that situation the height adjustment springs may be squished to the point that they won't squish any more.
    Absolutely ... 

Depending on the neck pitch angle, some SG and Flying Vee bridge pickups need to stick out a long way from the mounting surround. Short lugs will not reach. It takes long lugs and short springs.
    Depending on the neck pitch angle, some SG and Flying Vee bridge pickups need to stick out a long way from the mounting surround. Short lugs will not reach. It takes long lugs and short springs.
    I think I said that.  In different words of course.  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry. I left the Discussion to answer a PM about Charvel spare parts. Your comments were displaced from what is left of my short term memory.
    Sorry. I left the Discussion to answer a PM about Charvel spare parts. Your comments were displaced from what is left of my short term memory.
    Probably for the best.  :)