Is the Peavey Bandit still the answer...

What's Hot
the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
...if the questions is find me a reliable, cheap and robust amp that does a good clean sound?

My local jam night could do with another amp and a Bandit seemed to make sense to me but I'm open to other options if the Bandit is no longer the best option.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 664
    edited March 15
     B) 
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1025
    If it needs to be able to do loud and clean imo yes it’s the answer. 
    Loud and noisy it would also still be the answer ha. Imo anyways. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 255
    I'd go for a Laney VC30 right now. Of course the version will depend on how much weight you want to drag around.
    2x12 combos seem to go for relatively low prices so there's all sorts of decent stuff around for the price of a good meal out, provided you can lift the thing. They also come in 1x12, 2x10s.

For example ( I have no vested interest in this item personally but I do have one of these and I am liking it a lot):

https://reverb.com/uk/p/laney-vc30-212-30-watt-2x12-tube-guitar-combo-2

spiders apparently included for free but don't let that put you off.

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4176
    Anyone want in on a sweepstake? How long it takes a poster named after a missile to turn up? ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4537
    randella said:
    Anyone want in on a sweepstake? How long it takes a poster named after a fuzz pedal to turn up? ;)
    FTFY.   ;)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    It doesn’t even matter what the question is - the Peavey Bandit is always the answer  ;)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randella said:
    Anyone want in on a sweepstake? How long it takes a poster named after a fuzz pedal to turn up? ;)
    FTFY.   ;)
    I was about to say I'm sure I remember him saying sometime it was more muff than missile.

(there's a song title for you :D )
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4548
    The answer, as always, is a Rat
  • randellarandella Frets: 4176
    randella said:
    FTFY.   ;)
    I was about to say I'm sure I remember him saying sometime it was more muff than missile.

(there's a song title for you :D )
    Every day's a school day :)

Anyway, where is he?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Here now. Train was in a tunnel so missed the bat signal ;).

Second hand, yes. There’s nothing else that really beats it for sound and reliability at the price.

New, no. It’s a bit overpriced now, and the Orange Crush Pro/Super Crush is at least as good but cheaper.

The Orange also has a more useful dirty channel in that it can be dialed down to totally clean more easily than the Peavey, which gives an alternative ‘British clean’ sound that takes pedals better.

I wouldn’t rule out an older Laney (Linebacker, World Series, GC) red/black knob Fender or Marshall solid-state JCM800 either, if you find one fairly cheap - they’re also bombproof and surprisingly good-sounding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    Thankfully there’s still lots of old classic amps that one doesn’t need a forklift truck to transport.
    Thankfully there’s still lots of old classic amps that one doesn’t need a forklift truck to transport.
    Are you the chap with the nice Yamaha G112? Those are good too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1506
    If good cleans are a must, then the old solid state Fenders might be worth a punt too.
    It is neither straightforward nor immediate to find a decent used Bandit, so keeping an open mind could save you from anxiety and headaches. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    Peavey studio pro is also worth a look.  
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1506
    thomasw88 said:
    Peavey studio pro is also worth a look.  
    Definitely. That’s the amp I was chasing when I got the Bandit. There was one available but the tolex looked bad, so I went for the Bandit. See? Flexibility :-)
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• distresseddistressed Frets: 531
    ICBM said:
    Are you the chap with the nice Yamaha G112? Those are good too.
    Yamaha G series all the way. Though my B212 is not the best option for lugging around.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415
    Yorkie said:
    If good cleans are a must, then the old solid state Fenders might be worth a punt too.
    It is neither straightforward nor immediate to find a decent used Bandit, so keeping an open mind could save you from anxiety and headaches. 
    Yeah, I'm a fan of those. I have a little 30 year old Champion 110 that has an amazing clean sound and takes pedals great. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    Thank you everyone. Lots of additional options to look into. 

I used to have a red knob Fender Eighty Five do should have thought of one of those. 
  • nholmenholme Frets: 8
    nholme said:
    I played an old Fender Duo-Sonic through that amp a couple of weeks ago. I’m fairly sure they said it’s technically new, just ex-display - hence with full warranty. If so it’s more of a bargain than it looks. Not that you’re actually likely to need the warranty...

No affiliation!