Is the Peavey Bandit still the answer...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    ICBM said:
    nholme said:
    I played an old Fender Duo-Sonic through that amp a couple of weeks ago. I’m fairly sure they said it’s technically new, just ex-display - hence with full warranty. If so it’s more of a bargain than it looks. Not that you’re actually likely to need the warranty...

No affiliation!
    I've got even more of a bargain. A second hand one of those that I'd let go for £80.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    I recently picked up an old solid state (single valve in pre amp) marshall valvestate 8080 which does a nice loud clean, these can be picked up +- £100.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 134
    As @ICBM mentioned Laney GC series: we have a GC50 at work and it’s LOUD. The overdrive sound is fab too. I’ve actually always been able to get decent sounds out of Laneys - VC30, Linebacker, LX. 

Fender always delivers as well. Those Champion 100s go for peanuts on Facebook all the time.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    As @ICBM mentioned Laney GC series: we have a GC50 at work and it’s LOUD. The overdrive sound is fab too.
    They are very good amps - I think they would more recognised as being so if they didn’t suffer from the usual Laney problem of dull, uninspiring, cheap appearance. Grey, grey and more grey… with the world’s most unimaginative logo, crappy little rubber knobs, and tolex that looks like it came off a Maplin disco speaker cabinet.

You can easily find any of the series for under £100, often a lot less - they’re hard to even give away. The only problem you’re ever likely to find with one is the usual corroded FX loop jack switch - I can’t remember ever having to fix one with any other fault.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    All sorted. Picked up a Bandit 112 “Cyclops” (apparently that’s what they’re known as) from the gentleman that is @relic245 earlier today. 

Perfect for what I was looking for. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    the_jaffa said:
    All sorted. Picked up a Bandit 112 “Cyclops” (apparently that’s what they’re known as) from the gentleman that is @relic245 earlier today. 

Perfect for what I was looking for. 
    Good to meet you Matt and I hope that you and Cyclops have many happy adventures together :)
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7271
    Why are they called "Cyclops"?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    BillDL said:
    Because it’s not as Beavis & Butthead as ‘codpiece’.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    BillDL said:
    I'm guessing it's the logo in the centrally placed oval, like a single eye. The fact that it bulges downward over the grille cloth accounts for ICBM's alternative suggestion.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7271
    edited March 25
    Aaah yes, I was thinking about my own older Peavey amps with the lightning bolt logo across the top of the grille cloth and my Windsor Studio combo with the "cyclops" bit has been in the back of a cupboard for quite a while now.  I can see the "cyclops" reference now, and "codpiece" is pretty comical.  I've never heard that said before now.