Sherborne Dorset Best town to live in the South West.

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23134
    Crediton, seven miles north of Exeter always struck me as a nice place to live, if you want to be in the south west.
    I'm fairly sure I've been there, it's not far from where my sister lives.  Can't remember its distinguishing features though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3609
    edited March 15
    Philly_Q said:
    Crediton, seven miles north of Exeter always struck me as a nice place to live, if you want to be in the south west.
    I'm fairly sure I've been there, it's not far from where my sister lives.  Can't remember its distinguishing features though.
    Distinguishing features would include this: https://crimerate.co.uk/devon/crediton

I drive through it occasionally. High street looks ok, albeit a little run down. 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2325
    edited March 15
    When you drive up the A1 the signs point upwards towards "The North". 

When you are in the middle off "The North" there ought to be signs that point in all directions to tell you "The North" also in an easterly, westerly or southerly direction.

And there is more of it if you go further north too.

There should really be some signs pointing south saying "The South" and "The North" when you think about it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15635
    Interestingly, sw ambulance are currently offering an additional bonus if people apply to work in Dorset, I am giving it some thought 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Love Dorset. Had our honeymoon in Bridport and went to Weymouth last year for holiday. Beautiful part of the world, and would love to live there one day. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7238
    I’ve been in Dorset since 2006 and love it . I miss Crystal Palace and family but thats it.

Coincidentally when we looked at moving here from Croydon way we were looking at Sherborne.

My neighbour was very stuck up and politely suggested that we weren’t really Sherborne people and we should look at Dorchester and that’s where we ended up.

Sherborne on reflection is a bit quiet for me , dare I say a tiny bit twee so our neighbour did us a favour really . 

I’m used to living in cities but I reckon if you want small town life it’s perfect 
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4169
    Dorchester is great, one of the few places I would also like to live. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow! Nice to see Sherbs mentioned. I go there reasonably often to visit people. Always drop in to The Beat & Track for a peruse.
    Wow! Nice to see Sherbs mentioned. I go there reasonably often to visit people. Always drop in to The Beat & Track for a peruse.
    Paul’s a great guy, I buy quite a few albums there. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    I like Sherborne too…. My Dad lives just outside in a village called Sandford Orcas (We’ve had this discussion before but I think he used to visit your shop back in the day @koneguitarist )

I see it as one of my retirement options one day….
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16164
    I was at school with a Wingfield-Digby ........that was close enough to Sherbourne for me .
    Actually I love Dorset ......first wife was a Dorset girl .
    My favourite part is Swanage, Wareham ,Wool area.
    Wow! Nice to see Sherbs mentioned. I go there reasonably often to visit people. Always drop in to The Beat & Track for a peruse.
    I haven’t had a look round the town in a while so didn’t know that place existed…. Will definitely check it out next time I’m down.  
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940
    All you Dorchester and Sherb peeps living in your big cities - you should try rural life down here in Wool.    I cant get Dominos delivered.  Thats rural.  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1880
    Weymouth is excellent.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3337
    edited March 16
    I’ve been in Dorset since 2006 and love it . I miss Crystal Palace and family but thats it.

Coincidentally when we looked at moving here from Croydon way we were looking at Sherborne.

My neighbour was very stuck up and politely suggested that we weren’t really Sherborne people and we should look at Dorchester and that’s where we ended up.

Sherborne on reflection is a bit quiet for me , dare I say a tiny bit twee so our neighbour did us a favour really . 

I’m used to living in cities but I reckon if you want small town life it’s perfect 
    You did well to move away Dr.C. Ok, Crystal Palace has become gentrified and has some nice eateries but Croydon on the whole as a district? Nah. If they had to give London an enema, they'd stick the pipe in Croydon.

Dorset is a nice part of the world and well done  Sherborne.

As an aside, our repeated holiday destination of choice, Ulapool, has been voted the most beautiful village in the UK. Now that is REALLY north
    https://www.countryliving.com/uk/travel-ideas/staycation-uk/a60184325/ullapool-most-beautiful-villages-uk/
    All you Dorchester and Sherb peeps living in your big cities - you should try rural life down here in Wool.    I cant get Dominos delivered.  Thats rural.  

I got caught by cops in Wool, trying to turn right to head to Bovington at crossing I was in a White Arrow van. You just have to keep ending out then go for it. As I went for it this Granada almost T Boned my van so with my sliding door wide open I stuck my finger up when I realised it was full of cops. So I raced off  thinking they’ve got to turn around etc but they caught me pretty quick! 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

RobDavies said:
    I haven’t had a look round the town in a while so didn’t know that place existed…. Will definitely check it out next time I’m down.  
    Just on right as you go towards Sainsbury’s at bottom opposite Bean Shot cafe. You may see my smiling face poking out from Windows ready for elections. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited March 16
    I love Dorset - I live on the border with Hampshire - Christchurch, which I much prefer to Bournemouth. 
    Agreed with Dominic - Purbeck area is lovely, Wool, Blue pool, Wareham, all the way to Swanage - some great walking routes around Corfe Castle.

Haven't been to Sherborne but we may stop there on our way to Cornwall in few weeks and check it out
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I love Dorset - I live on the border with Hampshire - Christchurch, which I much prefer to Bournemouth. 
    Agreed with Dominic - Purbeck area is lovely, Wool, Blue pool, Wareham, all the way to Swanage - some great walking routes around Corfe Castle.

Haven't been to Sherborne but we may stop there on our way to Cornwall in few weeks and check it out
    Ringwood is nice…. I just wish it had a train station.  
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4324
    I love Dorset. We looked at moving there during COVID, but work wouldn’t allow it. 

We’ve had some lovely holidays there. Always look forward to going back. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to