Joe B A/B's cheap and expensive Hendrix rigs

What's Hot

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6692
    This forum is *chef's kiss* sometimes. Saying Crosstown Traffic and Foxy Lady are 'just a mess of noise' and 'certainly not inspirational' is so far from my feelings on them that I originally thought it was satire.

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 17
    bluecat said:
    I don't know why a lot of people tend to be a bit Anti JoBo . He is not my favourite player but he is getting up there amongstsome of the good players.
    I enjoyed the video , it was a very good comparison between ultra expensive and comparitably cheap rigs.

There's a couple of things that super duper wind me up about him but the truth is he is a fantastic guitarist.

I don't like his years of cosplaying as an authentic  bluesman eventually ending up with him being like the defacto face and voice of the blues when he is a venture capital-backed millionaire with a mansion in the hills. 

I don't like that he has sort of become a gatekeeper for the genre and if you don't have him or his cronies produce you there's little chance of doing well or getting on the tours. 

Basically I don't like blues being packaged up as a safe theme weekend when it should be raw and edgy and he is as edgy as a satsuma. 

I don't like how incredibly thin-skinned he is whenever he is challenged about anything. 

But he can definitely play. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Greatape said:

As an aside, I don't think anyone has ever successfully captured the full spectrum of Hendrix, not even Stevie Ray. Certainly not JB. Mostly, they focus on the macho side. 
    Agree with this. SRV is responsible for Little Wing being turned from a beautiful and delicate fragile little song to a long sprawling wanking jamfest. 

Most people that cop a bit of Hendrix miss the soul and R&B side of things. Instead they copy some John Mayer or SRV licks and say it's Hendrix. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11724
    Brilliant video.  Absolutely loved it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Playing that BOG rig must be so much fun. Would love to have a blast.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1085
    Squire one sounded like a Squire. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    edited March 17 tFB Trader
    soma1975 said:
    This forum is *chef's kiss* sometimes. Saying Crosstown Traffic and Foxy Lady are 'just a mess of noise' and 'certainly not inspirational' is so far from my feelings on them that I originally thought it was satire.

Sorry for saying such things - Taken out of context you might think I slagged Hendrix and dismissed him - In full, I praised him for some parts of his art - ie Little Wing and Wind Cries Mary  - Yet IMO, that whilst he pushed the boundaries and explored the limits, it came across to me, as out of control and not inspiring 

My dad was a good sax player. - One day I asked him about his views on Charlie Parker  - Again an artist who challenged the norm and expanded the  boundaries - Dad said on his day he was a genius- But on another day, maybe  when he was tired and out of it, it was a load of drivel and meaningless 

I’m not so sure JH was ever meaningless, but at times it is hard to understand what he was trying to say - Maybe he knew and I don’t get it

Good job we don’t all follow the same tone

And just for the record,my comments are not reflecting what JoBo is doing here - He is not trying to be JoBo he is just doing a very good job of how we can go about capturing some of JH, be it on a budget or with original gear - credit to his message 
    soma1975 said:

Sorry for saying such things - Taken out of context you might think I slagged Hendrix and dismissed him - In full, I praised him for some parts of his art - ie Little Wing and Wind Cries Mary  - Yet IMO, that whilst he pushed the boundaries and explored the limits, it came across to me, as out of control and not inspiring 

My dad was a good sax player. - One day I asked him about his views on Charlie Parker  - Again an artist who challenged the norm and expanded the  boundaries - Dad said on his day he was a genius- But on another day, maybe  when he was tired and out of it, it was a load of drivel and meaningless 

I’m not so sure JH was ever meaningless, but at times it is hard to understand what he was trying to say - Maybe he knew and I don’t get it

And just for the record,my comments are not reflecting what JoBo is doing here - He is not trying to be JoBo he is just doing a very good job of how we can go about capturing some of JH, be it on a budget or with original gear - credit to his message 
    Sorry wasn't a pop at you personally, I've just seen a few 'Hendrix was overrated' threads on this place over the years and considering his contribution to furthering the language and vocabulary of the electric and popular music in general I always find it very funny. 

I think that willingness to constantly go way outside his comfort zone is what made him the visionary he was. You can't really achieve the heights someone like him did unless you were also willing and prepared to fail occasionally. But I don't feel Foxy Lady or Crosstown Traffic are the places he failed. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 272
    I’m pretty sure JB wouldn’t describe himself or expect others to label him as some sort of gatekeeper of the blues. It’s others that try and tar him with that brush. I get the impression he’s just playing the music he loves to the best of his ability and yes, there’s been some canny business acumen and money made along the way. Fair play to him.

It seems that for many people you still can’t play a 1-4-5 authentically unless your fingers are scarred from the cotton fields and your scraping a living. It’s 2024 and it’s just music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 17
    I’m pretty sure JB wouldn’t describe himself or expect others to label him as some sort of gatekeeper of the blues. It’s others that try and tar him with that brush. I get the impression he’s just playing the music he loves to the best of his ability and yes, there’s been some canny business acumen and money made along the way. Fair play to him.

It seems that for many people you still can’t play a 1-4-5 authentically unless your fingers are scarred from the cotton fields and your scraping a living. It’s 2024 and it’s just music.
    Yeah you're right mate.

And his own SEO for his website

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    soma1975 said:
    soma1975 said:

Sorry wasn't a pop at you personally, I've just seen a few 'Hendrix was overrated' threads on this place over the years and considering his contribution to furthering the language and vocabulary of the electric and popular music in general I always find it very funny. 

I think that willingness to constantly go way outside his comfort zone is what made him the visionary he was. You can't really achieve the heights someone like him did unless you were also willing and prepared to fail occasionally. But I don't feel Foxy Lady or Crosstown Traffic are the places he failed. 
    Perhaps it is also a sign of the times - Woodstock, flower power, the end of the 2/3 catchy clean jingly jangly pop song- As we say, looking to explore and approaching something more avant garde

Also a case to be said that the gear he used and was available to him, was never designed to be used in such away and often on its own limits, hence my view that at times it sounds ‘out of control ‘

Equally, there is probably no artist, with a decent output of material, that we like every thing they record/write etc

In the last few years of that era he certainly was original, pushed the boundaries, influenced many that followed him and still inspires today- We had certainly not heard anything before then that was so ‘wild’ - But I still have mixed tastes/thoughts/opinions about which of his material I like 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    LPManic said:
    Oh well, at least it didn't sound like a Squier.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    edited March 17
    Philly_Q said:
    LPManic said:
    Squire's tend to squeal more when you thrash them...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    I did not need to see Joe's boob hanging over the Strat
    Only reason I’m here. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1085
    Philly_Q said:
    LPManic said:
    Sorry, I really did reveal my Murphy Lab CS bias there not even knowing how that common name was to be spelt. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10455
    tFB Trader
    As probably one of the only people left here who's seen Hendrix play live ... 

Perhaps you had to be there to 'get' the stage presence, the sheer wall of power from a Strat ,,, which can vere to the polite in some circumstances to be fair.

He was of his time, did far too many drugs, which probably took the edge off of his playing at times, he could be chaotic, wonderful and cringeworthy (I really can't listen to him play 'Wild Thing') but he played a major part in changing music.

I really don't see much point in copying him, any more than I see any 'art' in slavishly copying a Picasso. 

In a conversation with Mike Bloomfield after a gig, Bloomfield said to Hendrix 'Oh man I wish I could play what you do!' 
    And Hendrix smiled and said 'I'm glad you don't, there's so much more to play than I can ...'
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    I suppose another major difference between Hendrix and his imitators is that his listening habits extended well beyond the guitar, suggesting that for him, the guitar had become a vehicle for creation and expression rather than an item of obsession and an end in itself. I e. A musician and composer who played guitar rather than a guitarist. You can hear that in the songwriting.The gulf between him and most of his peers was huge in that respect. 

That said, my tolerance for late-period Hendrix live performance has dropped, because there seemed to be an increasing number of solos that didn't go anywhere. 

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4925
    Hendrix defined what an electric guitar could do; sure everyone can play the notes, but then again Vim Fuego could play "Stairway To Heaven" when he was 12.
    Bonamassa wasn't trying to be Hendrix but was rather demonstrating an answer to a question which a lot of people ask and I think he did a good job.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10455
    tFB Trader
    Greatape said:

....., my tolerance for late-period Hendrix live performance has dropped, because there seemed to be an increasing number of solos that didn't go anywhere. 

Drugs'll do that. I suppose my experience was at the last of his gigs on British soil ... he only did one more, in Germany ... and so he probably wasn't firing on all cylinders any more. However to a kid of eleven his playing was calculated to make your head explode. :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 18
    I think a lot of his output in 1970 is incredible tbf, but he's also allowed to have had the odd off night. 

I love that Stockholm gig from '69 where they are very clearly in a strop with each other and playing flat and really sounding by the numbers. Body language speaking a thousand words

Then after the break they loosen up and sound great and are really on form. 

Apparently they had to dump all their drugs and were stone cold sober and presumably hungover, and in the intermission someone managed to score some weed and it cheered them all up.  

Weirdly if I have half a pint of shandy I can no longer play.