Joe B A/B's cheap and expensive Hendrix rigs

What's Hot
longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
Worth a watch.

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7222
    Enjoyed that , not a huge fan of his music but he’s an entertaining guy and the bit when he rolled the volume off using the original rig sounded bloody gorgeous 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23048
    Well I came here desperate to slag him off, but I couldn't find anything to complain about. ;)
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6734
    Philly_Q said:
    Well I came here desperate to slag him off, but I couldn't find anything to complain about. ;)
    Yeah this, sadly. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuobStuob Frets: 35
    I like Joe. I also need to buy a strat.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2185
    Yeah. Cool as. 
  • Lawriejones1Lawriejones1 Frets: 142
    What’s fascinating is how fluent Hendrix was compared to JoBo. 

He’s a cool guy and acknowledges his influences and supports artists when he can. Fair play to the guy.
  • MikePMikeP Frets: 59
    Dunno if my shit headphones are bust but none of that sounded great except maybe at the end when I think he went back to the vintage rig. Jb says in another video he has no legato which is really obvious here where jimi was the king of groovy relaxed and often plain bad playing jb sounds uptight and accurate. Band of gypsies is the only hendrix album I listen to regularly. 

• I did not need to see Joe's boob hanging over the Strat
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9859
    Enjoyed that, thanks for posting
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14336
    edited March 16 tFB Trader
    Interesting to watch - But confirms some of my thoughts - On a good day Hendrix was outstanding - Wind cry's Mary and Little Wing are two of the finest guitar sounds ever - But on another day it was a mess of the highest proportions - Cross town traffic and Foxy Lady - IMO just a mess of noise and certainly not inspirational - Maybe it was a sign of the times as he was trying to 'expand' into something new and fresh as he pushed boundaries - As I said on a good day he was wow - On a bad day then just leave it all alone 

TBH nothing I heard today would influence me to copy most of Jimi's sound - Yet there are many aspects of Jimi's touch and phrasing that is awesome - All in all a mixed bag - take some parts but leave others behind 

And certainly nothing here to blame JoBo about - He is just trying to reproduce what happened before him 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 849
    Quote... there's no such thing as a bad guitar, bad amp, bad pedal it's how you drive it.

I enjoyed the vid  :)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7795
    Interesting to watch - But confirms some of my thoughts - On a good day Hendrix was outstanding - Wind cry's Mary and Little Wing are two of the finest guitar sounds ever - But on another day it was a mess of the highest proportions - Cross town traffic and Foxy Lady - IMO just a mess of noise and certainly not inspirational - Maybe it was a sign of the times as he was trying to 'expand' into something new and fresh as he pushed boundaries - As I said on a good day he was wow - On a bad day then just leave it all alone 

TBH nothing I heard today would influence me to copy most of Jimi's sound - Yet there are many aspects of Jimi's touch and phrasing that is awesome - All in all a mixed bag - take some parts but leave others behind 

And certainly nothing here to blame JoBo about - He is just trying to reproduce what happened before him 
    IMO listen to the entire Band of gypsies album start to end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LessPaulLessPaul Frets: 69
    edited March 17
    The later definitely scratches any Jimi itch’ and also saves you from a potential divorce £££££££

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3601
    The vintage stuff was awfully noisy. 

As an aside, I don't think anyone has ever successfully captured the full spectrum of Hendrix, not even Stevie Ray. Certainly not JB. Mostly, they focus on the macho side. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Greatape said:
    As an aside, I don't think anyone has ever successfully captured the full spectrum of Hendrix, not even Stevie Ray. Certainly not JB. Mostly, they focus on the macho side. 
    I frequently thought of Robin Trower whilst watching the video - which isn't to say Trower has captured the Hendrix vibe better than those mentioned, but I've probably spent a lot more time listening to Trower than I have listening to Hendrix, over the years.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11954
    Philly_Q said:
    Greatape said:
    I frequently thought of Robin Trower whilst watching the video - which isn't to say Trower has captured the Hendrix vibe better than those mentioned, but I've probably spent a lot more time listening to Trower than I have listening to Hendrix, over the years.
    Yep, me too.  I never really considered Trower to be especially 'Hendrix-y' apart from the fact he played a Strat in a three-piece band doing overdriven blues :-)

Always loved his tone, his style, his technique.  I also think he's somewhat underrated.  About to put on Bridge Of Sighs :#
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 272
    Cool video. He’s like us (except with much more money and talent). And he’s funny. Nothing to dislike. He was right, the Squire rig was 90% there and not objectively worse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    The Squier setup was missing the bite.
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Greatape said:
    Yep, me too.  I never really considered Trower to be especially 'Hendrix-y' apart from the fact he played a Strat in a three-piece band doing overdriven blues :-)

Always loved his tone, his style, his technique.  I also think he's somewhat underrated.  About to put on Bridge Of Sighs :#
    I think there's a lot of Hendrix influence on the '70s albums, but over the years he's become more restrained and straight-up bluesy.  He keeps recording albums, and I keep buying them, although to be honest I don't really enjoy most of the recent material.  I'm probably one or two albums behind.  On some days of the week I'd probably say he's my favourite guitar player, although I've not been listening to him much recently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 581
    I don't know why a lot of people tend to be a bit Anti JoBo . He is not my favourite player but he is getting up there amongstsome of the good players.
    I enjoyed the video , it was a very good comparison between ultra expensive and comparitably cheap rigs.