Just Curious... Are Acoustic Bass Guitars Any Good?

What's Hot
SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 845
As the title says are acoustic bass guitars any good? I can't think I've heard one in the flesh. I've heard an acoustic ukulele which quite surprised me though... much more bass guitar sounding than I ever expected!

I have no bass experience whatsoever and it is a little itch that I may have to scratch at some time.

I'm interested in your thoughts, observations and experiences.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1134
    In my limited experience, the ones I've tried, or played guitar along with, struggle to be loud enough acoustically next to a couple of enthusiastically strummed acoustic 6 strings. They often need need help from an onboard  pickup and a small amp.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    They are a bit pointless because the body isn't big enough to resonate at the fundamental bass frequency which is why a double bass or Guitarrón is so much bigger.

As a result they can't actually be practically used as an acoustic instrument with guitars etc because they just aren't loud enough and so they are essentially an electric bass with a largely useless soundbox meaning they are unwieldy and prone to feedback.

One theory I've heard is that they got popular due to MTV unplugged because you weren't allowed to play an electric bass so unless you could play upright you needed one of these just for the looks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
    Those little ukulele basses with their thick rubber strings sound great, like an upright bass, but of course you need to plug them in as they usually come fitted with a pickup. Jacob Collier uses them a fair bit..
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited March 21
    My son has got one of these electro acoustic bowl back bass that sounds excellent .

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbo_850_bass_black.htm

He got it during the first lock down for a bit of fun.

Not sure how much use it gets though.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24467
    They can sound very nice but always have to be amplified when playing with anyone else.

I don't own one, but I've played a few nice ones that I would have been happy to own.
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 151
    I can only echo what’s been said really. Not loud enough to even cope with playing alongside even one strummed acoustic. But they have a charm and a unique sound somewhere between electric bass and upright. I had a cheap one I de fretted so it probably had a little more of the upright vibe. 

Where they are great is for home practice. All the ease that acoustic guitar players get in a wife and neighbourhood friendly volume, alongside playing in an acoustic band. Given that you need such a huge space to store/transport an upright and an electric bass just doesn’t look/sound right for an acoustic band they definitely have their niche. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    My friend used a bass uke in a folk rock band. So, effectively an electric instrument but he didn't need to find an amp to practice at home. No feedback issues although they aren't exactly ACDC. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 845
    Thanks for the comments, interesting reading for me. It would be pretty much for home use so volume probably wouldn't be an issue. Electro acoustic probably would be the way to go audio interface/amp. Do you reckon I could I get away with an acoustic amp (Marshall AS50R)?

All good for thought... thanks again.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1390

One theory I've heard is that they got popular due to MTV unplugged because you weren't allowed to play an electric bass so unless you could play upright you needed one of these just for the looks.
    I really really like the bass sound Alice in Chains got on the unpugged album. Granted, it's an acoustic bass plugged in, with a chorus pedal I'm guessing. I wonder could this sound be replicated on a solid body electric bass?

• blobbblobb Frets: 2980
    A friend of mine has one he uses for his own reasons. It's a bit more bassy than an unplugged electric so he doesn't need an amp for private practice. Fair enough. So I plugged him in and recorded it, then overlayed it on top of him playing a full electric mice'd up rig. It sounded great combined. A bit niche but we we were looking for a specific sound.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14511
    Not even the Guitarrón or the mighty Ernie Ball Earthwood are loud enough for band work without amplification.

Uke basses are practical - as is the Ashbory. 

Creed_Clicks said:
    I wonder could this sound be replicated on a solid body electric bass?
    Probably not but a few contact transducers, installed inside a semi-hollow electric bass, might get you close enough.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 63
    I’ve got the Lindo one, one thing I will say is the bodies are quite big and I don’t find it comfortable, I would get another one but it would have to be slimline, they do sound nice though, plugged in and acoustically 
    Riddim up
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    The biggest acoustic basses - like the Ernie Ball, Guild B-50 and Eko BA-4 - are *just about* loud enough to play with one acoustic guitar in a very quiet acoustic gig, but you'll need to play them quite 'energetically'. Other than that, no - they need to be amplified. I had an Eko years ago, and it was just too much of a struggle to be heard so I fitted it with a simple contact pickup.

I've now got a little rubber-band uke bass, which I use for a music club where everything else is unamplified, and it's completely inaudible when even one guitar is being played, but sounds great through my little Roland Micro Cube amp. I did briefly have a full-size acoustic bass too, but essentially it was exactly the same other than being about five times the size and a massive pain to carry.

I prefer fretless for acoustic basses - I just think it suits the sound better, and you need flatwound strings on them. If you want a fretted one, get rid of the awful bronze strings they all come with - for no good reason I can think of other than because acoustic guitars do, which is still wrong, they're different instruments - and fit normal nickel roundwounds, or also flats.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    I practice more because I have an acoustic.

But I got a very specific one — this fretless f-hole Aria. https://www.gcmusic.com.au/aria-febflf-f-hole-acoustic-electric-bass-guitar-w

I put nylon flats on it and it’s probably the closest thing to an upright without getting an upright.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 845
    It's a bit of a looker that @Cranky but fretless...  :#
    It's a bit of a looker that @Cranky but fretless...  :#
    It has side dots, you’ll be fine!  It’s inherently an ear training exercise, too.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    I can't think I've heard one in the flesh.
    I've never tried one either, but I was under the impression that that was precisely the problem with them...  =)
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5500
    They are a bit pointless because the body isn't big enough to resonate at the fundamental bass frequency which is why a double bass or Guitarrón is so much bigger.

Well, in most cases. Christian Stoll in Frankfurt - always an innovative builder - makes several models to which that does not apply. This one is a 6-string with orthodox frets (it would look even bigger as a standard 4-string), but you get the idea. 

See: https://www.stollguitars.de/en/instruments/acoustic-basses/ for the range.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BorkBork Frets: 259
    edited March 22
    I have never found one that could compete with the volume of an acoustic guitar. ABGs are all deficient in one way or another and it's probably down to scale length, compromises around ergonomics in the first instance and then the physics around generating lower frequencies in the second.  The Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG was about as good as it got in the late seventies and even then it was like playing a wardrobe ergonomically.

[This space for rent]

I don’t think anyone buys an acoustic bass with the idea of playing it unplugged alongside another acoustic instrument.  They always have electronics, and otherwise it’s just nice to grab an acoustic and practice, noodle or whatever.

But I was pretty particular about getting a fretless.  I just think it sounds better.