Just Curious... Are Acoustic Bass Guitars Any Good?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 845
    When I searched the 'FB Bass' category I didn't find result for acoustic bass guitars and I did get the feeling they are relatively unpopular. 

I think I need to visit a guitar store.

Thanks again =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1351
    I have a couple. As previous post have said, fretless is the better choice, an amp is required for playing with most other instruments.
    My Godin A5 has been described by several people as the best sounding fretless bass they have ever played, solid bodied included.
    they are perfect for practice and composing.
    As ICBM rightly says, use your regular string choice- I use DR HiBeams which bring out the full tonal palette. Playing over the fingerboard makes for a great DB like sound.
    And of course, no faff with an amp etc. 
    Overall, functionally useless, but you should get one.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72504
    Cranky said:
    I practice more because I have an acoustic.

But I got a very specific one — this fretless f-hole Aria. https://www.gcmusic.com.au/aria-febflf-f-hole-acoustic-electric-bass-guitar-w

I put nylon flats on it and it’s probably the closest thing to an upright without getting an upright.
    That was the one I had - actually the matt black version - and it was a very nice bass, once I'd ditched the appalling copper/bronze roundwound strings it came with (really? On a fretless?!) fitted flats and set it up properly (why can no-one cut the nut correctly on a fretless? It's really easy... a whisker above the fingerboard). It sounded great either 'correctly' as a double-bass substitute, or 'incorrectly' as a rock'n'roll/Cramps-style bass with fuzz - and amazingly, wasn't completely unmanageable for feedback.

And astoundingly good quality for the price. But it was just too big for me, and a huge pain to transport, partly because of the size and partly because the supplied gig bag (at least it did come with one, although 'cover' is more accurate) was too flimsy so I had to be super careful with it, unlike the ones for my electric basses or even the bag for my little uke bass. The neck was so long that even with the strap tied around the headstock it was difficult for me to reach the first position without simultaneously pushing the body to the right.

At the end of the day the amplified sound was so close to the uke bass for most practical purposes that I didn't see the point in having something that size to do effectively the same job - so somewhat reluctantly I sold it. I would definitely recommend one for both playability and sound quality to someone taller though - especially if you don't have to take it anywhere.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein