What Compressor?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27075
edited March 21 in FX
Let's say I'm playing pop, rock & soul covers and wanted a compressor to give me just a bit more from my cleans, without adding dirt. I'm thinking the Motown, funk, disco stuff up as far as Nile Rodgers and Bruno Mars sorts of vibes. 

So what's good these days? The Keeley 4-knob was always the daddy in the old times before the boutique thing really kicked off, so their Comp Plus has appeal. And these days I'm in love with Origin and already have a bunch of theirs, so the Cali76 seems like a foolproof option esp as I already love the bass version, but that's for a different use case. 

Anything else? Fat General? 

Any comp-fiends able to chime in? 
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    Cali76 is my favourite, followed by the Analogman CompROSSor, but I really only use compression when I'm playing slide so my use case is completely different to yours... 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27075
    mo6020 said:
    Cali76 is my favourite, followed by the Analogman CompROSSor, but I really only use compression when I'm playing slide so my use case is completely different to yours... 
    haha yeah that’s been my main use case before, for which I’ve used an old BYOC clone of a DynaComp that I’ve had forever. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    The Cali76 is ace but I also have the Suhr Woodshed which I'm very pleased with. The Suhr Koji is also excellent.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12383
    I really like the wampler ego, I think anything with a blend should be decent that seems to be the magic dial.  
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3259
    The idiot-proof Drybell Unit67?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MaxA867MaxA867 Frets: 47
    I’ve settled on a Jackson Audio Bloom v2, great sounding compressor, only three controls on the compressor side (volume, blend, comp) but just makes my cleans “better.” EQ built in too which is great for taking a bit of the punch out of a humbucker guitar for funk lines. Also MIDI controllable if that’s your thing. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Echoline do a compressor I notice as I was looking at their Easter sale. Doesn't really say it's for funk, more that Gilmourish endless sustain idea, but it does have a blend. 

The new J Rockett Airchild I notice is very much aimed at that funk type compression. £239 pre order, bloody hell. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    I always liked the rothwell love squeeze the best out of the various ones I had.   
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    The idiot-proof Drybell Unit67?
    This!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    munckee said:
    I really like the wampler ego, I think anything with a blend should be decent that seems to be the magic dial.  

A hundred times this.

Having a blend control makes compressors so much nicer to use. It's far more important than any other factor IMO. 

Xotic SP and Suhr Koji are two examples, but there are loads of others. 
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I've tried a load of them. I still feel like there's another better compressor out there for me.

However, of those I've tried, the Thorpy Fat General and the Mad Professor Forest Green were the best for the "always on" tone sweetening and subtle sustain thing. I found the Mad Professor slightly easier to dial in, but the Thorpy was quieter and better built.

I didn't gel with the SlideRig (the basic small format version). Something didn't quite work for me in terms of the right balance of squish.

Currently, I have a JoeMeek FloorQ -- review here https://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/floorq.shtml -- which I like and which has an amazingly low noise floor. It's very clean and uncoloured as it's literally a rack compressor in a pedal. You can definitely dial in the funk thing, or the clean sustain thing, or the country quack. However, it doesn't quite add the sweetness that the Fat General or the Forest Green did. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9552
    Thorpy Fat Gen
    Cornish OC1
    UAFX Max
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    I do like my Fat General, but I’ve been intrigued by the new ‘76 pedals from UA and Wampler. 

I imagine the Wampler is too new, but does anyone have experience with either? All I want for now is sweet (not squashed) clean, even sustain. 
    Cheers all - I see lots of googling in my future. First port of call is probably going through the ones in the HX One to get a feel for what sort of circuit actually works for me. 

What I can also say is I want something that's Boss/MXR sized, and with top-jacks. Anything else won't fit on my board, and I don't like mini pedals. So that automatically knocks out half the market :) 

Top of the list from a quick google are probably the new Wampler Ego76/Wong, UA 1176 (I must say their video for the Max made it sound like shit), and the Origin Cali76. 

Instantly I feel like JLJ has the Ego76 doing exactly what I want, so that could be great. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W37xAaL8-E
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    The Cali compact deluxe is glorious. That should be your purchase. 
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1428
    I quite like Fender's The Bends.

I had the Keeley Compressor + and found it a noisy hiss machine!
    The Cali compact deluxe is glorious. That should be your purchase. 
    This is almost certainly where I'm going to end up if I'm honest because the bass one is awesome. I wonder if I could actually try the bass one with the HPF turned all the way down as well. Must be worth a try!

The one thing that's making me think about Wampler is the tone controls. And just the fact that I love Wong... 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4834
    The Fat General is the answer, best compressor ever for what you're stating usage wise. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5278
    Fat General
    DryBell unit 67
    OC1
    very unobtrusive 

Cali has a stronger flavour

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    Unit67 - it’s superb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom