Words that are going out of fashion / usage

What's Hot

Comments

• TimcitoTimcito Frets: 798
    Tannin said:
    ^ Ahh. Thankyou. Yes. 

Of course, as a well-educated bigoted native-born English speaker, I don't regard anything speakers of foreign languages such as American say as being relevant to our language. (Except when it creeps into and pollutes real proper English  as she is spoke - which is pretty much all the time these days.)
    Not sure what the purpose of your irony is here; I wasn't passing judgement, just commenting on the use of adjectives instead of adverbs. It is what it is - there was no suggestion of British superiority in this regard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12406
    Wally, as in "Oi Jenkins you Wally, come here!"
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14321
    tFB Trader
    ghettoblaster
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Timcito said:
    Tannin said:
    ^ Ahh. Thankyou. Yes. 

Of course, as a well-educated bigoted native-born English speaker, I don't regard anything speakers of foreign languages such as American say as being relevant to our language. (Except when it creeps into and pollutes real proper English  as she is spoke - which is pretty much all the time these days.)
    Not sure what the purpose of your irony is here; I wasn't passing judgement, just commenting on the use of adjectives instead of adverbs. It is what it is - there was no suggestion of British superiority in this regard.
    I think maybe @Tannin is out of touch with changes to the English language in Britain (or certainly England) over the past decade or two. In some sections of society the adverb has all but disappeared to be replaced with adjectives.

Why? I'm not sure, but obviously there has to have been some influence rather just being illiterate. Foreign football managers of top English teams often use adjectives in place of adverbs so did the trend come from them? Who knows.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5510
    ^ Very likely, @Jimbro66. I see the same here in the antipodes. @Timcito, no irony intended. It's just the truth: our language is being rapidly swamped by illiterate Americanisms. The French have laws to prevent this sort of thing. Sadly, we do not.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5510
    ghettoblaster
    Hmmmm .... 

i-pod
    Blackberry & PDA
    Fax machine
    Wristwatch
    Wireless
    Walkman

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 979
    I still use 'wally'. Because it sounds quite mild these days, if someone does something really awful or stupid and you refer to them as a wally, it's almost as if the understatement emphasises the fact. Also no one can really take offence (don't think so anyway, although I'm not sure where it comes from). 
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 646
    I still use 'wally'. Because it sounds quite mild these days, if someone does something really awful or stupid and you refer to them as a wally, it's almost as if the understatement emphasises the fact. Also no one can really take offence (don't think so anyway, although I'm not sure where it comes from). 
     Legend has it that someone at the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival was shouting the name, calling for a friend or a dog, and the crowd took it up as a chant. The Wally chant was repeated at almost every large rock concert in Britain in the seventies, including Led Zeppelin at Knebworth in 1979.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 646
    Tannin said:
    Kurtis said:
    Tannin said:
    Dominic said:
    What is always interesting is the etymology when a language has been left behind in a colony or former territory and becomes frozen in time as it doesn't evolve colloquially .....
    My Greek friends laugh at the 'Greek' spoken by my Cypriot friends because it's almost a form of 18th century Greek that they speak.
    I have a lot of Indian ( from India not UK ) friends and clients who speak " Indlish " which is their Victorian English legacy ;some of the phrases are very old/stilted .......
    " We must do the needful" , something is never good ;it's "most satisfactory "
    An old girlfriend's father was Bengali from Kolkata ....he would exclaim "Oh my goodness gracious,Golly-Gosh "
    Just so.

Many of the weird things our American friends say are actually perfectly normal English expressions from a bygone century. The rest of the world has forgotten them, and when we hear Americans say them we think they are kooky. 

My Croatian sister-in-law grew up there, moved to Oz when she was 13 or so, then moved back to Croatia after she retired. She says people there laugh at her Croatian because it is so rural and old-fashioned. In contrast her husband (my Australian-born-and-bred brother-in-law) speaks perfectly modern Croatian, albeit somewhat limited as he only started learning it a few years ago at age 50-something. 
    Is Australia not the same? 
    Logic would suggest that it ought to be, though I cannot think of any examples. Perhaps an English-born expat living here might notice things which I don't see myself. Most (all?) of the Australianisms I can think of are home-grown. 
    The verb 'fossick' is used in New Zealand an Australia, meaning to search for something by rummaging. It is an archaic Cornish word, meaning to prospect for gold or precious stones.
    Litterick said:
     Legend has it that someone at the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival was shouting the name, calling for a friend or a dog, and the crowd took it up as a chant. The Wally chant was repeated at almost every large rock concert in Britain in the seventies, including Led Zeppelin at Knebworth in 1979.
    I did not know that! Good fact. And pleased to know it's probably not something that will upset people. Except maybe people who are actually called Wally, but you don't get many of them these days. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14321
    tFB Trader
    Does 'Gordon Bennett' come from a similar thought 
    Does 'Gordon Bennett' come from a similar thought 
    You could use it in the same way for sure. No idea who Gordon was though. 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 700
    The first Australian I could think of is g'day sport (maybe that's not something Australians actually say?). You don't hear people saying good day much. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9718
    edited March 26
    I once worked with a man whose unfortunate name was Wally Pratt. He (legally I think) changed his name to Jeff East (or something equally nondescript).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18901
    Litterick said:
    Was certainly thriving at the Weeley festival in 1971  ;)
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    ‘Fab’ & ‘Gear’ was used by the Fab Four quite a lot.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9718
    Something else I think are disappearing are the old adages and sayings like ‘A stitch in time..’, ‘Many hands make light work’, etc. Used to hear these a lot from my parents and grandparents but hardly at all recently.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11928
    Kurtis said:
    Fud. 
    Elmer?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom