Words that are going out of fashion / usage

What's Hot

Comments

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 700
    Timcito said:

In my formative years back in England in the 70s, pretty much anything on TV that wasn't a film was called a 'programme.' We had comedy programmes, DIY programmes, cooking programmes, current events and news programmes, you name it. Here in the US, everything is a 'show.' I was just wondering if British TV still broadcast 'programmes' or whether they had all been converted to 'shows.'
    Either works, show is simpler though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    B. There aren't really any public pay toilets any more.
    I refer the honourable gentleman to Bolton Travel Interchange, where they are pleased to charge 20p for the privilege of "spending a penny".

Robbing bastards  :p

Nitefly said:
    I refer the honourable gentleman to Bolton Travel Interchange, where they are pleased to charge 20p for the privilege of "spending a penny".

Robbing bastards  :p

Puts the junkies off. They're the only people that use them anyway. 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 377
    I still occasionally use "going to see a man about a dog" to mean mind your own business.

Has any done peeved yet? I'll be using that one later.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11928
    Timcito said:

Sounds a bit like Peter Sellers saying to Sophia Loren, "Goodness, gracious me!"
    Ooooooooooooof.  Sophia Loren.... possibly the best-looking woman in the history of the world, ever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 798
    Offset said:
    Timcito said:

Sounds a bit like Peter Sellers saying to Sophia Loren, "Goodness, gracious me!"
    Ooooooooooooof.  Sophia Loren.... possibly the best-looking woman in the history of the world, ever.
    She always looked a bit too cat-like for me.

I think the title should go to Liz Taylor!  ;)
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1053
    Pug
    French letter
    Sheath
    Flid
    Trumped

i like trumped, farted just isn’t as good as trumped. 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24507
    Crassulent. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I haven't read the entire thread, but...
    A "settee" when I was a kid, appears to have become a "sofa" by the time I was in my teens/twenties, and has in turn morphed into a "couch" among the younger generations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14321
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Waz, as in 'wee'. I used it recently, said 'I'm off for a waz' and I was mocked and told that no one says that now.

I suppose it's 'piss' now. 
    Do people still say slash?
    Think so, but I don't talk to loads of younger people so maybe it's in the same category as waz. 
    I'm going to spend a penny - Or I need to spend a penny - Maybe some younger members don't even get this
    Probably as :
    A. They don't use pennies (or any other physical money).
    B - In our town they are public pay - Not sure how this stacks up elsewhere - But Derbys Dales, certainly in Ashbourne charge in the main car park 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9718
    Before Brexit, rather than spending a penny, I used to Euronate
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3888
    Fanny
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18905
    Lebarque said:
    Fanny
    Not in America, they still sit on it... & frequently talk out of it  :#
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fud. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5514
    Jimbro66 said:
    Along with ‘shall’ we’ve also witnessed the enforced death of the adverb during our lifetime.
    Huh? Why would you think that?
    Dominic said:
    What is always interesting is the etymology when a language has been left behind in a colony or former territory and becomes frozen in time as it doesn't evolve colloquially .....
    My Greek friends laugh at the 'Greek' spoken by my Cypriot friends because it's almost a form of 18th century Greek that they speak.
    I have a lot of Indian ( from India not UK ) friends and clients who speak " Indlish " which is their Victorian English legacy ;some of the phrases are very old/stilted .......
    " We must do the needful" , something is never good ;it's "most satisfactory "
    An old girlfriend's father was Bengali from Kolkata ....he would exclaim "Oh my goodness gracious,Golly-Gosh "
    Just so.

Many of the weird things our American friends say are actually perfectly normal English expressions from a bygone century. The rest of the world has forgotten them, and when we hear Americans say them we think they are kooky. 

My Croatian sister-in-law grew up there, moved to Oz when she was 13 or so, then moved back to Croatia after she retired. She says people there laugh at her Croatian because it is so rural and old-fashioned. In contrast her husband (my Australian-born-and-bred brother-in-law) speaks perfectly modern Croatian, albeit somewhat limited as he only started learning it a few years ago at age 50-something. 
    Tannin said:
    Dominic said:
    What is always interesting is the etymology when a language has been left behind in a colony or former territory and becomes frozen in time as it doesn't evolve colloquially .....
    My Greek friends laugh at the 'Greek' spoken by my Cypriot friends because it's almost a form of 18th century Greek that they speak.
    I have a lot of Indian ( from India not UK ) friends and clients who speak " Indlish " which is their Victorian English legacy ;some of the phrases are very old/stilted .......
    An old girlfriend's father was Bengali from Kolkata ....he would exclaim "Oh my goodness gracious,Golly-Gosh "
    Just so.

Many of the weird things our American friends say are actually perfectly normal English expressions from a bygone century. The rest of the world has forgotten them, and when we hear Americans say them we think they are kooky. 

My Croatian sister-in-law grew up there, moved to Oz when she was 13 or so, then moved back to Croatia after she retired. She says people there laugh at her Croatian because it is so rural and old-fashioned. In contrast her husband (my Australian-born-and-bred brother-in-law) speaks perfectly modern Croatian, albeit somewhat limited as he only started learning it a few years ago at age 50-something. 
    Is Australia not the same? 
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 798
    edited March 26
    Tannin said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Along with ‘shall’ we’ve also witnessed the enforced death of the adverb during our lifetime.
    Huh? Why would you think that?
    Using adjectives when adverbs of manner should be used is common in the US: "You've done good" instead of, "You've done well"; "He speaks real quiet" instead of, "He speaks really quietly"; etc.
    ^ Ahh. Thankyou. Yes. 

Of course, as a well-educated bigoted native-born English speaker, I don't regard anything speakers of foreign languages such as American say as being relevant to our language. (Except when it creeps into and pollutes real proper English  as she is spoke - which is pretty much all the time these days.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Kurtis said:
    Tannin said:
    Dominic said:
    Just so.

Is Australia not the same? 
    Logic would suggest that it ought to be, though I cannot think of any examples. Perhaps an English-born expat living here might notice things which I don't see myself. Most (all?) of the Australianisms I can think of are home-grown.