Would you keep this item...?

What's Hot
SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 698
Hi - I'm a fan of Digitech stuff from the 90s, and found a DHP-55 harmony unit on Ebay for £250. The description read: "This time we are selling an: DigiTech DHP-55 rack-mountable harmonizer/pitch shifter in perfect working condition. Some signs of useComes without a power lead. As shown in the pics."

The 3 pics looked OK; what actually turned up was this (nothing of this was visible in the pics):

I messaged the seller, and they said "I'm sorry about the not-perfect device cosmetic condition. The processor looked like that when we sourced it. It worked perfectly, though, and I'm sure that all the functions are still operational now. Can you confirm that for me?"

It does power up, but I've not had time to test it yet. I messaged back that none of this was visible from the pics posted, and that something like this should have been specifically mentioned; they came back with: "Once again, I'm sorry about not mentioning the matter. The listing description refers to unspecified signs of use, though. We didn't say it looked like brand new. The slightly bent front panel plate doesn't impact the device's functionality and won't be noticed once it's been fitted into a rack."

Now what do I do...? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3750
    Part-refund or return. Unless it’s an amazing price. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10216
    Ask for some money back before you send it back maybe? A tiny bit of cosmetic damage on the underneath isn't a big deal if you can get some money back. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6816
    If it works and you’ve been after one for a while, I’d keep it and move on in life. Would you even see that once it’s rack mounted?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1067
    Make sure everything works properly. If it's just cosmetic, ask for a part refund. If they refuse, initiate a return for a full refund in which case they may agree to a partial refund to save them the trouble of selling it again. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3454
    Ask yourself is it actually an issue for you? Had you have known would you still have bought it? It can be a let down when this happens so if you can see past the initial let down and not let it bother you will the imperfection still be an issue? 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 698
    "Unless it’s an amazing price."

It was certainly a reasonable price, and these things are like constipated rocking horse shit; I've never seen one on sale before.

"
    A tiny bit of cosmetic damage on the underneath isn't a big deal"

It's the front plate, not the underside; this is on the left where the LCD screen is - i.e. the bit you'll be looking at most often.

"
    If it works and you’ve been after one for a while, I’d keep it and move on in life. Would you even see that once it’s rack mounted?"

Yes, but I'd need to stick it in the rack to check how much; I'll have time tonight (I didn't yesterday). I'd been after a Studio 5000 for many years and never saw one, this one is a very close brother to that unit.  
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    I don’t know how the cost of the item stacks up if it was a bargain or not but for a 20 year old piece of kit, that looks like nothing to even worry about to me, it’s just wear where the unit hasn’t been supported in a rack. Provided the unit works as it should and notwithstanding the price you paid for a 20 year old unit, I think your being very unreasonable. This is why I rarely sell things on eBay because buyers expect secondhand stuff to be as new and complain about the slightest sign of use.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 23
    I don’t know how the cost of the item stacks up if it was a bargain or not but for a 20 year old piece of kit, that looks like nothing to even worry about to me, it’s just wear where the unit hasn’t been supported in a rack. Provided the unit works as it should and notwithstanding the price you paid for a 20 year old unit, I think your being very unreasonable. This is why I rarely sell things on eBay because buyers expect secondhand stuff to be as new and complain about the slightest sign of use.
    Sorry, but I don't think it's being 'very unreasonable' when the steel front panel has been bent and internal components are visible. I have rack units that have been mounted for 30 years in some cases, and not one of them looks like this; this unit's had an impact that has done that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:
    Ask yourself is it actually an issue for you? Had you have known would you still have bought it? It can be a let down when this happens so if you can see past the initial let down and not let it bother you will the imperfection still be an issue? 
    It's had an impact at some point that has done this (you don't bend a steel plate any other way); I would certainly have had a lot more reserve about buying had it been clear in the listing. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10429
    tFB Trader
    Pretty much this ... it's a pro bit of kit that's 20 years old ... if it all functions properly ... move on with life. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 640
    Only you can tell really how much it bugs you. It is a bit disappointing they never mentioned it. Makes it harder to sell if you are now honest about it. Probably feels like they've pulled the wool a bit but if it's rare and you get the results you wanted sound wise I'd try to ignore it. 
    I'm slightly tending towards that; will see if it works tonight and if so, I'll ask for a part refund as I do think it was wrong of them to not mention such an obvious physical issue.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9538
    robgilmo said:
    This.

If there is any doubt in your mind, send it back :)
    robgilmo said:
    It's had an impact at some point that has done this (you don't bend a steel plate any other way); I would certainly have had a lot more reserve about buying had it been clear in the listing. 
    An impact doesnt mean its been dropped or worse, could have been bumped into? Its something you have been chasing for a while, perhaps once you get it set up and use it your perspective of the damage will change?

Your options are to basically to keep it, over look the damage and enjoy it, or send it back and wait for another to come along, try not to let your beef with the seller sway wither nor not you keep it, the seller can jog on.
    I remember going to pick up my Baja, I swapped a really nice 94 strat for it and parted with some cash, the neck had a few chunks taken out of it, the controle plate was corroded, bad fret wear etc, I still took it, it wasnt perfect but it was what I wanted, the imperfections did bug me for a little while but I dont notice them now, it is what it is.

What really bugged me was when stripping it down (as you do with a new/used guitar) was the what looked to be dry vomit under the pick guard, still, the issues soon paled into obscurity when I started playing it.

Could I resell it? probably but the bad bits would effect value, do I care? No, not one jot.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    That kind of damage usually happens when the rack unit it's in is dropped onto its front, it probably wasn't an impact to the unit itself so I doubt it's done any internal damage. I think the panel is aluminium not steel, so it didn't require that huge an amount of force.

It looks like it will straighten fairly easily - the metal isn't creased, that would have shown up in the front photo. If it was a good price for what it is (I don't know) then I would keep it. I don't think they've misdescribed it, although they have been a little economical with the truth - and admitted that it was like that before shipping too - so try them for a partial refund.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SargeSarge Frets: 2401
    I had a Digitech TSR24s with very similar damage, that steel plate isn't bent easily, I certainly struggled to bend it back into shape.
    Fantastic unit though, and it ploughed on for a decade ir so before the chips started going. 
    Sarge said:
    I had a Digitech TSR24s with very similar damage, that steel plate isn't bent easily, I certainly struggled to bend it back into shape.
    Fantastic unit though, and it ploughed on for a decade ir so before the chips started going. 
    I love the sound of Digitech stuff from that era - I have a TSR-24 with the PPC200 upgrade card in it, sounds lush. Were you able to get it back into shape and sitting flat, then? 

edited March 24
    Messaged the seller and said I'll keep it but that I do feel at least a small partial refund would be fitting, given that this is a major cosmetic defect that was not mentioned in the description or visible in the pictures posted with the listing (when it's in the rack, the deformation of the front panel is very noticeable). 

We shall see...
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    Good luck  :#