I’ve never played a PRS !! What am I missing ??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
Always stuck to Gibson les Pauls and hamers , and it occurred to me I’d never played a Paul Reed smith. 
What am I missing ??!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    edited March 23
    Great neck profiles, excellent finishing, brilliant ergonomic and a good list of options at almost all price points. 

They are cool again. 

Disclosure - I've got a Mira. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24368
    Dentistry done by your colleagues?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10491
    tFB Trader
    Aside from superb build quality ... I'd say ... depending on what model you choose, a sort of 'Gibson and Fender mixed in a blender' feel. A feel really all of its own. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    The only downside is the lack of originality with dentistry jokes on here.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2400
    Nice necks, cool finishes, brilliant quality, pickups aren't always the best but they do suit the guitars.
    Tim
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2387
    If you try one make sure its a core USA model. The SE's are amazing for their price point but not 'really' a true PRS. I'm sure plenty on here will disagree but just my opinion. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    My PRS DGT SE is very versatile. It just works in most situations.

However, I don’t get the same feelings with it that I get with my Gibson LP-295’or Yamaha SA-2200 or Fender Telecaster Thinline.

Very competent but dull.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    They are fantastically well made guitars. And I'd have no hesitations about recommending one. 
    However.....the prices have skyrocketed in the last few years so they aren't the second hand bargains they used to be. 
    Oh and buy secondhand.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 703
    Always stuck to Gibson les Pauls and hamers , and it occurred to me I’d never played a Paul Reed smith. 
    What am I missing ??!
    I have an SE245 and an SE Custom semi-acoustic (the one with one F-hole) and I love them both; perfect finish (the deep red burst on the 245 is lovely), great playing neck and really good pickups too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 666
    Slightly recessed knobs? 
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1025
    Ugly quilt/flame tops, horrible bird inlays and a disgusting headstock? 
    Might play alright though … 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292
    They are excellent guitars. I've just never really desired one.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    edited March 23 tFB Trader
    What am I missing ??!
    If you like LP and Hamer Guitars and wanted to try a PRS that is 'similar' then various Singlecut models, the 594 models, probably a McCarty and a DGT have a toe in the traditional camp

Want something different, then a Custom 22/24 - A Mira is closer to an SG - Then a host of models that have a toe in the Strat camp - DC3, NF3, Silver Sky, Swamp Ash Special etc

As with most manufactures with a width of models available, there is not that 'be all and end all model' that defines the brand 

You obviously like the traditional LP/Hamer based Guitars - As it happens I can't get on with LP's - Me and them just don't get on with each other - But I like 'derivatives' of LP's by other makes, like PRS 

As you mentioned top spec'd USA models, then you need to compare, the CoreUSA  series models on a like to like basis - But the Asian built SE models are amongst the finest import guitars you can buy today 

If you don't like them, then you are missing nothing - But in the words of Robbie Robertson 'if you like them now, then you'll learn to love them later'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • damodaidamodai Frets: 38
    I got a PRS SE DGT gold top last October and Its really good,  also PRS SE silver sky.  I really like the DGT , very versatile,  can do everything I need , the Silver sky is essentially a really nice strat.  Seems like the DGT might be for you. 
    I got both guitars around the same time , they both had great offers in GuitarGuitar and Andertons .  I think the DGT is on offer at the moment now also.       

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited March 23
    The SE 594 I tried briefly felt great to me. Nice neck profile and it felt really well finished. I also love the necks on the S2 series. Still yet to own one but I've played a few and they all have that "just right" feel and I could forget about how the guitar feels and just get on with playing, if that makes sense. Some people like to "fight" their guitar, I hate that. 

If they do a DGT SE with moons in better colours I'll definitely be considering one, though could do without the trem. 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    They are all well made within the varying price ranges, and there are a wide range of models/neck profiles/pickups, etc. Despite the name, the SE guitars are much better than ‘student edition’. The USA core models are excellent, and have great tuning stability. 
    Ignore the boring and hackneyed dentistry comments, and try some out. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 24
    Strat54 said:
    If you try one make sure its a core USA model. The SE's are amazing for their price point but not 'really' a true PRS. I'm sure plenty on here will disagree but just my opinion. 

Indeed I would. My SE DGT matches the 2 previous Core DGT's I had and is spankier, which I prefer. I've also played some SE Tremonti and CE24 that were all excellent.

What's good? The consistency amongst them and build quality. I haven't always been a fan of the pickups or the split coil sounds until the DGT and in my Fiore, I've finally found the PRS Superstrat I've been looking for - it has strong single coil and a good humbucker sounds plus very useable variations. Good neck profiles, too, and I'm a fan of the 10" radius and always found them comfortable

There's enough models out there and so try what you can, both SE and Core and you might find one that you like.

With PRS, you're definitely not missing the Dentistry jokes - so tiresome, repetitive and boring!
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    edited March 23
    I'd say a bit dull. The 15-year old SE Custom-22 I have isn't very exciting. Neither was my SE 245 Singlecut, which is why I moved it on despite it being gorgeous.

But then...

I bought an SE McCarty 594 a couple of weeks ago and I'm totally in love with it. Fit and finish is fantastic. Setup perfect. Sounds beautiful. And it is an absolute joy to play. Super light too, 6.8lb in old money. Genuinely brilliant instrument, and amazing for the price of less than £700. I've played nothing else for the last couple of weeks.

• slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    They are well built well designed and I've loved all of the ones I saw until I played them. IMHO the does all things design makes it soulless. 

If I had to use one guitar for all things it would be a strat.

Maybe you'll like them. A friend of mine has had a ce since the 90s and won't use anything else.
  • You're missing your two-thirty appointment
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom