Onboard preamps/boosters/mid boosts

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2388
    edited May 18
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:

As long as you like how it sounds turned down... that's the big problem. There's some quirky stuff that happens with passive electronics when you turn them down, which is (probably) why a lot of people are a bit reticent to do so a lot of the time.
    This. Turning a passive guitar down has a big effect on the tone and dynamics - some people like it, some don’t. There are claims for things like “50s wiring” that it stops this, but it doesn’t - it just happens in a slightly different way. Active electronics, including active pickups with passive controls like EMGs, do usually stop it which is one reason they have a reputation for sounding ‘sterile’ - we’re so used to that natural softening and reduction in the clarity and punch of the sound from passive electronics that when it doesn’t happen, it almost sounds wrong. (Until you get used to it.)
    Funnily enough I really didn't like how my EMGs in my Jackson responded to the volume control- it was almost like they were like the worst passive pickups (too much treble loss from rolling the volume down etc.) rather than "too active", unless that's how I was hearing it! I'd need to hoke out the old pots to see, maybe they were the wrong value? Or maybe I'm just an idiot?

And yeah with the passive electronics there are a bunch of things you can do to mitigate etc., but none of them (that I've tried, anyway) really solve it entirely, and sometimes they introduce different problems that you may hate more than the original one!

(My first guitar was an Ibanez RG which had a treble bleed (I know, I know, "treble pass"!)- 330pF I think- as stock on the volume, and I still don't like the treble loss when rolling down! I prefer 180 or 220pF now, but that's just slightly warmer-sounding.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 151
    Roland said:
    Littlejonny said:  … i think I’d rather make a hole in the back of the guitar but I don’t know what tool one would use. Might be a job for a luthier
    I’m presuming from this that you don’t have a router, and experience of using one. In which case it’s definitely a job for someone else. A mis-held router can do untold damage in a fraction of a second.

The effect you get from a booster varies depending on the frequency range you’re boosting (sometimes referred to as the central frequency and the Q, or width of frequency range), and the size of the boost. I’d definitely start with an external EQ pedal, and work out what you want these value to be. 

In fact I’d stay with the EQ pedal. Quite often when I realise I need a boost I’m in the middle of playing something, and don’t have a spare hand to adjust controls on the guitar. Stepping on a switch is a lot easier.
    Yes I do have access to a router but no experience using it. I would definitely do some practice pieces before attempting a guitar that’s for sure.

as for pedal vs onboard controls, i guess I’m quite lazy and a lot of the time like to rock up and just plug in…could be useful in my job as I teach and often move about with zero setup time. I don’t have a pedalboard as I have pedal commitment problems…I like them one minute then hate them the next. I do have 2 EQ pedals - you’re right, they’re the best. 

I’m now thinking the EMG SPC with my Hot Noiseless set. I’ll ditch the baseplate on the bridge. And maybe I can squeeze a battery in without routing.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14701
    I’m now thinking the EMG SPC with my Hot Noiseless set. I’ll ditch the baseplate on the bridge. maybe I can squeeze a battery in without routing.
    If you install an EMG-SPC in place of either of the tone pots, there should be room in the control cavity for the PP3. Wrapping it in compressible foam will prevent things from clunking about.

Unless you are undertaking a world tour, the PP3 should last through several string changes before it requires replacing.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I’m now thinking the EMG SPC with my Hot Noiseless set. I’ll ditch the baseplate on the bridge. maybe I can squeeze a battery in without routing.
    If you install an EMG-SPC in place of either of the tone pots, there should be room in the control cavity for the PP3. Wrapping it in compressible foam will prevent things from clunking about.

Unless you are undertaking a world tour, the PP3 should last through several string changes before it requires replacing.
    Awesome. I’ll buy one
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72903
    BillDL said:
    I’ve got the EXP Expand To Peak Controller - I got it for one of my basses. It seems well-made, but if anything I found the range slightly disappointing - it’s more subtle than I was expecting, although it works fine. I haven’t tried it in a guitar or investigated if I can mod it for a more dramatic effect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    BillDL said:
    I’ve got the EXP Expand To Peak Controller - I got it for one of my basses. It seems well-made, but if anything I found the range slightly disappointing - it’s more subtle than I was expecting, although it works fine. I haven’t tried it in a guitar or investigated if I can mod it for a more dramatic effect.
    Do you mean the EXG? From what I’ve read that has an extreme effect on guitars, maybe not so much on bass?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72903

Do you mean the EXG? From what I’ve read that has an extreme effect on guitars, maybe not so much on bass?
    Definitely this one - https://northwestguitars.co.uk/products/artec-expand-to-peak-controller-on-board-guitar-electrics?variant=44779871633682

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Ah sorry I thought you were talking EMG stuff…
    About Artec though - really interesting and innovative company, and I love their dearly-days-of-the-internet style website!