Tele bridge saddles won't budge.

What's Hot
My saddles are stuck. Won't screw in or out. What's the best solution for this? I've removed the height adjustment screws and tried gripping the barrels with pliers, but they are stuck...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    They look a bit rusty, so possibly good old WD-40 might solve the problem.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited March 24
    Heat might loosen them, try holding the tip of a soldering iron at the join between saddle and screw, until each get hot then try unscrewing, do one at a time and try unscrewing while still hot, stick a bit of cardboard under the height adjusters to insulate from the baseplate,  perhaps a squirt of WD or similar the night before

Worst case Dremel (or similar) the screw heads off, stick  the screw shafts in a vice and soak in WD and heat with something a bit more aggressive, then replace the screws

Even worse case Dremel the heads off and replace the complete saddles
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14454
    My saddles are stuck. 
    My smile is stuck.
    I cannot go back t'yer Frownland.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 665
    edited March 24
    Some penetrating oil might help.

You could grip the screw (below the head in case you damage the thread) with some needle nose pliers and twist the saddle rather than chewing it up with a screwdriver. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
     I tried the WD40 treatment before. Think I might try the heat method. Then if not get some penetrating oil
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7037
    tFB Trader
     I tried the WD40 treatment before. Think I might try the heat method. Then if not get some penetrating oil
    In some cases the combination of the two often works.
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 853
    Had a similar situation a while ago.
    Pushed the screws back through the rear of the bridge and Dremel cutting blade did the hard work.
    New set of compensated saddles fitted.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    Same here Dave
    Rusty barrels 1
    @lovestrat74 0
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Cut the screw heads off and remove them from the bridge, grip the screw shaft tightly in a bench vice, and wind the saddle off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14454
    Nah. They are the "threaded" steel type. Bin 'em!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7276
    The last time I had seized up parts on a bridge I mixed up about 25% engine oil (5W-30 synthetic, not that I think it matters) with about 75% white spirit, poured it into a glass jar, and allowed the whole bridge to sit in it for a couple of days. It worked well, but I had no basis for comparison other than the fact that WD-40 hadn't worked.  I think the difference simply was that it's impossible to submerse components in WD-40 without spraying out a jar full, and soaking the parts with it and leaving it in a ziploc bag isn't really submersion.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Nah. They are the "threaded" steel type. Bin 'em!
    Well, you could, and replace them with the plain steel ones which are actually the best :).

I’m not totally convinced the threaded ones don’t sound slightly better though… I know it’s odd, or maybe just very subtle, but I think it may be that the threaded ones seem to be a very hard steel.

Bruce had plain steel ones on the Born To Run guitar though, so they are by definition the best.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein