Am I mad?

What's Hot
I just picked up a USA James Tyler from eBay. I’ve had one before. It’s stunning, plays perfectly and refuses to go out of tune.

To fund it, a friend agreed to buy my 335 (he was interested already). So… I depart to pick up this 6-7 grand boutique masterpiece, pay up and then receive a text the following morning saying that the 335 deal fell through. And then I realise that it’s such a great 335, I’m not sure I can part with it. I was just about OK knowing it was going to a good home and a friend. 

But… the Tyler is a masterpiece. It feels even better than my Suhrs, and I got it for a relative steal.

Although I can afford to, I really struggle with the concept of keeping both. It’s not really justifiable. 

What to do? 

Am I alone in my impulsive buying and indecision? 
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7787

If you can afford them and they bring you joy then that's all the justification you need.

Look after them and you can get most, if not all of your money back if you need to.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    Any pictures of your US James Tyler you can share ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Beans on toast - Add some lea perrins on those days when you're feeling a bit 'devil may care'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m thinking this… just have a lot of nice guitars and don’t play out much to due work commitments. I’ve slowly turned into a bedroom player and didn’t even realise it. 
    Also part of me thinks, I will probably never obtain one again so am reluctant to sell it for that reason alone.
  • I’m no good with eBay - if you look at completed listings and put in ‘spalted maple Tyler studio elite’ it should come up. Picked it up Wednesday I think. 
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited March 24

Schnozz said:
    Beans on toast - Add some lea perrins on those days when you're feeling a bit 'devil may care'.
    Marmite on the toast and grated extra strong cheddar cheese on the baked beans is awesome .
    Dont put the beans on the toast because it goes soggy . =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    edited March 24
    Keep them both, you don't need to sell by the sounds, enjoy them. But I still think you are bonkers... £6-7k! 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 955
    I wouldn't feel guilty about it, if you can afford them and you like them. And if you have room for them in your house. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Keep them both, you don't need to sell by the sounds, enjoy them. But I still think you are bonkers... £6-7k! 
    It was £2850. I couldn’t afford that! 
    Yeah… it’s a bit nice.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    A good 335 is a hard thing to let go off. I've sold prs guitars and not missed them. When I sold my jap tokai es I deeply regretted it.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    Keep them both, you don't need to sell by the sounds, enjoy them. But I still think you are bonkers... £6-7k! 
    It was £2850. I couldn’t afford that! 
    Yeah… it’s a bit nice.
    Phew!

Winny_Pooh said:

It does look very smart, enjoy!
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 851
    Lovely looking thing.
    If you can afford them and get enjoyment from picking them up, keep hold.
    I’ve sold things because I either feel not worthy of them, or they get very little use and regretted it.
    Fortunately they have often replaced them with other nice goodies. But there are a few things, that with hindsight I’d have kept.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    They’re different enough that there’s absolutely no reason not to have both, if you can afford it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    I just picked up a USA James Tyler from eBay. I’ve had one before. It’s stunning, plays perfectly and refuses to go out of tune.

To fund it, a friend agreed to buy my 335 (he was interested already). So… I depart to pick up this 6-7 grand boutique masterpiece, pay up and then receive a text the following morning saying that the 335 deal fell through. And then I realise that it’s such a great 335, I’m not sure I can part with it. I was just about OK knowing it was going to a good home and a friend. 

But… the Tyler is a masterpiece. It feels even better than my Suhrs, and I got it for a relative steal.

Although I can afford to, I really struggle with the concept of keeping both. It’s not really justifiable. 

What to do? 

Am I alone in my impulsive buying and indecision? 
    Thank god this did not go the way I thought it was going to after I read the first paragraph and header - I then expected the sound of 'I love it, BUT (can't type BUT any bigger) but I don't like the headstock/logo, so what shall I do' - As though such trivial cosmetics should be an issue and have any impact on how it feels, plays, sounds

Glad you like it - Enjoy it

As to your actual problem of keeping both, funding both etc etc - Sorry I can't really help you 
  • motorheadmotorhead Frets: 27
    Keep both for a few months, then decide which is a keeper. If both, then that's ok too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I mean I have a Suhr Classic that is more my thing. This is chambered mahogany, massive frets. I think the sweet spot for me is vintage/modern. This definitely feels and sounds more modern. Great, though. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    You could hardly think of more different guitars, and they're both presumably amazing playing and sounding. I'd keep both if you can afford it, and thin the herd elsewhere if needed
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!