When was the last time you purchased a guitar magazine?

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7153
I just found the last one I purchased, as recently moved house and was going through boxes yesterday.

The Guitar Magazine, dated February 2019, means I haven't bought one for 5 years. I still haven't read it.

I used to buy a magazine every month; as a kid, I easily bought two or three a month.

Doubt I will ever buy another one now. Print is kind of dead for me these days, but maybe I'm the exception, as I know some people must still read them.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I'm still a Total Guitar Subscriber, albeit digitally now as I don't have space to store all the paper copies anymore.

But I did buy the magazine alot when I was younger.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7153
    I'm still a Total Guitar Subscriber, albeit digitally now as I don't have space to store all the paper copies anymore.

How much is a subscription out of interest? 

This magazine was £5.99 in 2019, so I think it was overpriced at best.

stonevibe said:

How much is a subscription out of interest? 

This magazine was £5.99 in 2019, so I think it was overpriced at best.
    I think its £7.15 quarterly via direct debit.

I've forgotten to read a few past months issues though so this acts like a bit of reminder haha.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's pretty reasonable for a quarter

• Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    Probably back in the early 1990s when my first born son decided he wanted his first electric guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    stonevibe said:
    That's pretty reasonable for a quarter
    Yeah and easier to store too or read wherever I like on any device.
    Probably back in the early 1990s when my first born son decided he wanted his first electric guitar.
    I bought them in the '80s and early '90s. I'm sure I bought this last one whilst travelling, either at an airport lounge or a train station.  I think I was on a work trip when I picked it up. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I think the last edition of The Guitar Magazine which was November 2021. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 792
    2017. That was the last time I took an international flight from England to here in the US. It was a bit of a routine for me with flights from England - I'd buy a guitar mag for the flight. 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27611
    ELEVEN - at the Guitar Show earlier this month.

I still quickly flick through my virtual Guitarist each month, and even more quickly through Guitar Techniques and Guitar Player, but those cost me £0, so it's no great hardship!

I think the last physical monthly I bought was Guitar Magazine, but when that died, that was the end of hardcopies for me.  Sure that they intended to replace the hardcopy magazine with some sort of online content, but I've not idea what nor where, and certainly haven't looked at it amongst all the other online sources that are higher profile.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    A goodly number of years now, I used to buy Beat instrumental as well as International musician and recording world. Back in thier day they were the best way to keep abreast of goings on as well as learn a few pro tech tips on not only guitars but bass, keys, drums, PA and recording stuff like portastudios etc.
    After their sad demise I got into various guitar mags but slowly lost the monthly habit, just bought the odd one now and again and thought nothing much new here.
    These days t’internet is more informative and entertaining, and I can be selective of “stuff” appropriate to my level of skill or interests.
    Yeah, I remember buying International Musician, Sound on Sound, Future Music, etc 

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 961
    Late 90s I think. In fact I haven't bought any kind of print magazine for years. The last one I got fairly regularly was Sound on Sound but even that was several years ago. 
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    I used to prefer Music Press &  Audio/ Hi Fi mags in the 70s /80s./90s/2000 onwards when travailing on planes trains & automobiles.
    I used to prefer Music Press &  Audio/ Hi Fi mags in the 70s /80s./90s/2000 onwards when travailing on planes trains & automobiles.
    I was more of a Spiderman comic kind of guy...  ;)

• ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 334
    I get access to Guitarist, Total Guitar, Guitar World and Guitar Player included in my Apple News subscription. I check what the full song transcription is in Total Guitar every now and then and will typically flip through Guitarist each month but don’t spend much time with either. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 985
    December 2022

I bought it for something to read over Christmas & also it came with a 2023 calendar, which was a bonus.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22954
    stonevibe said:
    I just found the last one I purchased, as recently moved house and was going through boxes yesterday.

The Guitar Magazine, dated February 2019, means I haven't bought one for 5 years. I still haven't read it.

I think it was round about then for me too.

Although actually I bought the last issue of TGM, whenever that was (ah, I see from @EricTheWeary's post it was November 2021).  Just because it was the last issue.  But I'd stopped buying all other magazines some time before that.

I had digital subscriptions for a while but I cancelled them too.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9795
    I bought the recent issue of Eleven recently but it looks like the last one I have was a Guitar World issue which was teaching me how to play The White Stripes' Icky Thump, which was 2007.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic