Another eBay scammer

What's Hot
TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7896
I spotted this on eBay last night. 

It’s a Chinese knock off, everything in it is wrong, fret markers, pickups, bridge. A polished turd. 

I reported it to eBay, but they decided that its genuine, and won’t remove it from sale. 

I hate the thought that someone could be scammed of their savings buying this and thinking it’s genuine. 

I hate that eBay practically encourages scammers. I just don’t want to give them any more of my money. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    I've reported it too ... it's an absolute howler! 

When folks criticise my stance, and others in the professional community about 'Chibsons' and people's assertions about it all being a bit of harmless fun ... just one 'escaping into the wild' like this can, as TheMarlin says cause someone to get scammed of their savings. The person selling may not be aware they have a moody one ... perhaps they inherited it from their dad who thought it was a bit of a laugh and don't know that the thing is a bad-un - or perhaps they are just nasty, slimy scammers. Whichever - every knock off Gibson, Gretch etc that gets brought into the country is one more chance of someone getting 'taken' in the future. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7157
    The screws in that pickguard alone would set alarm bells ringing! 
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1425
    The seller knows what they have - no mention of the brand in the title or pictures. I thought they were selling a "genuine fake" until I saw the description and the price. What cheek.

To make things even more comical, the ads on the page show a similar guitar (new) for a tenth of the cost!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9660
    Looking at it now, has the seller scammer taken “Gretsch” out of the title (but not the description) and deleted any photos that show the headstock logo?
    Actually, looking at their other items, the business model seems to be import Chinese counterfeits, mark them up 200% and call them “custom”. Depressing to think people that buying such crap is a good idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    Also sad that he has made so many sales - that a lot of ripped off folks out there.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7896
    Once again, I reported it, and eBay sided with the seller.  Amazed and disgusted. 
    edited March 26 tFB Trader

In case any of you are under any illusion, this is the reply I got from ebay to my report ... 

The speed the 'decision' came back in ... leads me to believe they are using a bot and some AI ... very poorly ... to detect scams.
    Something really needs to be done about this counterfeit crap ... where's a goo journo when you need one? 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7896
    Exactly the same message I got (twice)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4933
    Yep - I've had that response on a couple of fake items I've reported.
    There were previously responses saying the decision was by an automated system so maybe they've promoted their AI to a full CSA.
    I did once chat with someone there online and they said they'd escalate it, but I don't recall the outcome.
    My conclusion can only be that eBay have decided they now support counterfeiting.
    eBay has taken a few wrong turns of late:
    • If you want to make an offer then you have to register payment details so they can automatically pay if accepted; however, the T&Cs also say they'll use that to automatically pay for all future items. Net result: I don't do offers anymore and will let things go if I'm not watching.
    • They keep sending nagging messages about things in yor watchlist. Net result: I've scaled back on watching things and rely on happening to do a search at the right time to catch something.
    • Their fees and tax/admin surcharge. Net result: I've scaled back on selling items.
    • Their laissez-faire attitude to counterfeits. Net result: I don't trust eBay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7157
    I had the same denial from eBay when I reported it this morning 
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18870
    You wait ages for a rare factory custom left handed Jupiter Thunderbird, then...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285532230089?_trkparms
    edited March 26 tFB Trader
    And indeed 

Also a left hander ... how the coincidences do stack up ... 
    And isn't it odd how the headstocks never get shown? 

• steersteer Frets: 1196
    Would someone really look at that and think that they are getting a genuine Gretsch?  The red flags are all over the advert.

It is a shame that ebay after their "thorough investigation" cannot see what is plainly in sight. Do ebay think it is OK because the advert refers to the guitar as unbranded in the Brand section of the advert? If so, then that is shady. 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1881

In case any of you are under any illusion, this is the reply I got from ebay to my report ... 

The speed the 'decision' came back in ... leads me to believe they are using a bot and some AI ... very poorly ... to detect scams.
    Something really needs to be done about this counterfeit crap ... where's a goo journo when you need one? 
    Are you able to write a review or question and warn people off it?
  • digtheditchdigtheditch Frets: 36
    First time round he included the fake serial number. He generally doesn't post headstock pictures anymore. He sells a number of fake items. It's the same on Reverb.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2398
    edited March 26
    I've moved on from reporting to ebay its futile. Reverb is just as bad, some serious fakes and misdescribed guitars on there. Neither care, its all revenue for them. 
    Maybe counterfeit is becoming acceptable now? There's high profile artists playing fake Fenders everywhere...Josh Smith and now Jeff McErlain spring to mind. The latter is making videos talking about relics when the one he showing is openly sporting its phoney Fender decal. Remember the term RELIC for guitar is a registered TM of FMIC.

https://www.youtube.com/live/QHSVRl7_nPE?si=6k5y9AmocccDLP27
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3137
    You wait ages for a rare factory custom left handed Jupiter Thunderbird, then...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285532230089?_trkparms
    At least that one has a realistic price and no Gretsch in the description 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2398
    His £2k fake Fenders are dreadful. 
    Looks gone to me now.